Question 3 in a row with a Explorer

momof-3-boys

I am so happy to have been given the link to this website!!!! Anyhow my issue is...

We currently own a 2002 Ford Explorer... I have 3 children. 4 yrs as of July over 35lbs. A 2.5 yr old that is almost 30lbs. and a 7 month old that is around 15 lbs or so ( very tiny for his age).

The older two are in Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 Convertible Seat http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4266916 here is the one my second son has. As you can see it has the armrests. That takes up more room than needed. I have them both FF on the outside. Then my baby is in a Baby Trend Infant seat. Which is in the middle.

I am looking for a convertible carseat for my baby so we can change him out soon. It is very hard to lift him over the other seats to put in the middle and as he is getting bigger its getting harder. But If I put him on the outside and the second son in the middle their carseats hit each other at the arm rests and his ends up leaning and the seatbelt does not fit right as the base is too big. So I am trying to figure out who all has a explorer and what kind of seats do you have.

I was looking at the Sunshine Kids seat but due to the armrests eventually when we have him RF it wont have enough room between them. But then I thought about putting my oldest in a new booster like Graco Highback Booster Seat and that will buy us a few inches and I can keep them next to each other with room to spare.

We do have a 3rd row, but I am REALLY trying to avoid using it as I have a double stroller I use often and would have no room in there for it. So any suggestions or ideas on types of seats I can look at would be great! The measurements I have to work with is RF is a 16.5" space and when FF Something to fit between 15" or so (granting we dont move oldest in a booster)

ADS

rachelandtyke

Welcome! Here is a link to a thread where people discuss successful three across installations. You can go to the thread and click on "search this thread" and put in your vehicle and get ideas of what others have been able to do. Your oldest would probably do best to remain in a harnessed seat for now as many 4 year olds are not mature enough to ride in a booster full time, so I'd focus on solutions that leave everyone in harnessed seats for now.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, make sure that your four year old, and your 2.5 year old, actually, haven't outgrown the seats. You cannot use the headrest in the highest position with the harness. So it's often outgrown between 2.5-3.5 years old. The shoulders cannot go above the slots with the headrest in the second highest position.

If your 2.5 year old has more than 1" of hard shell above his head I'd put them him facing in the seat, move your four year old to something else, and give one of these to the baby.

Also, I'd put your 2.5 year old in the center if you can. Being forward facing, he's the least safe person in the car, so give him the benefit of the most protected position. It'll also be easier to get the baby in and out. Though with the Baby Trend requiring the handle to be down it may not fit well behind a front seat. So something to do when you get new seats and do the carseat shuffle.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC