Making the switch to FF

Mom2three

I haven't been around much at all lately. But now DD is almost 4 and I have told her everyday for at least 6 months that when she is 4 she can FF if she wants. She is 29.8lbs today with a 13.75" torso. The problems we have been having with RF are just not worth fighting anymore. Last night she cried for 2 hours in the car. No matter which seat I put her in her legs or back hurt, and it is a constant thing.
We don't have many options for HWH seats around here, so last night I ordered a GN and a FR85 so that we can try them both out in person. Everything that I am reading makes me think we will like the GN better for her. She has been asking for a while now for a pink front facing carseat for her birthday. For those with the experience, what have you found to work better for a smal FFer? I really like her MR and love the cupholders, but it doesn't install well FF in my car.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Nautilus fits even tiny kids nicely. I saw a 1yo/22# kid at a check (parents would not even consider RFing) and the fit was scarily good.

love-pink

my vote is for the gn. i both my middle children have had one... or two of them :whistle:. never once complained about being in them and they still fight over the one i have in dhs truck if they both are riding with him. they are also both on the small side too. if you look in my albums i have alot of gn pics with both my kiddos in them over the last 2 years or so. i believe theres also pics of ds in the fr85 that i sent back a few days later because it was such a struggle to get a good install. i couldnt imagine having to switch the fr85 from car to car if i had to :thumbsdown:. its just a beast. while others may love theirs i just wasnt feeling any kind of love after fighting with it for a decent install in the middle of the summer. the gn also seemed sturdier to me with its steel bars, the frontier reminded me of the harmony lite rider with a molded plastic seat?? if that makes sense at all lol. i love the lite rider though :thumbsup: fr85 just too over priced imho. :twocents:

urchin_grey

Yep, I tried my tiny DS out in one last year (for fun) when he was probably barely 23lbs and he fit great. Its probably the seat we will get for him this summer if we decide to FF him when he turns 6. I like the Frontier, but I'm afraid it will just seem to wide for him and that the seating depth might be a little too much.

Fiona was like that at the end, I think her legs were just TOO much at that point, not a safety hazard but not comfy anymore for her (she is a leggy thing) Her butt would be so sore when she was rear facing, so we turned her around.

We have a frontier 80 but she says it hurts her knees, we had a nautilus and she never complained, so now I am trying to make the switch back to a nautilus.. so maybe the nautilus will work for her.. sounds like she is a similar build to my Fiona

AtTheSouthDam

I found that the Nauti pushed DD2's head forward to much, she was uncomfortable. She was 4 years, 34# and had a 13ish" torso when we turned her around. The seat ended up going with was the Recaro Young Sport. It's not really recommended around here because it holds up 40#. My DD2 is on the middle slots with room to grow and has only gained a pound since her birthday in June so it should last until 5 and half or six years (when she is predicted to hit 40#), when we plan to start booster training.
The other HWH seat I like for her is the Radian. She has a slim/petite build and it seems to fit her perfect, but then, we had it for her RF seat and I am not sure I would purchase simply for FF.

Since you ordered both I would give each one a good try. I think it is all personal preference.

amelia222

I tried my dd in a nauti the other day just for fun. She fit really well, but hated how it pushed her head forward.

Mommy2Marcus

We have a Nautilus Elite for my son who is fairly small. He is 34-35lbs fully dressed & has a 14.25 inch torso. He fits great in it. He does have some head slump in it, but it is not bad anymore. I have been really happy with our GNE.

Also if you look below, then you can see a picture of my son in his GNE about 4-6 months ago. He has never complained about riding in it.

Mom2three

The FR85 is supposed to be delivered Wednesday and the GN will be here Monday I believe. I guess that we will test them both out and decide from there. We have a RN65 that I really like, but I have been using it for DS lately...it it so low profile that he can climb up into it himself. He will have to go RF in the 3rd row so DD can FF in the 2nd row with a TT. So, him being able to get himself in is a nice bonus. We are still trying to figure out what to do in DHs pickup. He has no TT and there isn't a retrofit available, so either she stays RF (he will not be happy AT ALL) or we use a RN without safestop until DH gets a new pickup.

Thanks for all of the input!

Last edited:

emtb79

I have both and just this weekend I took the FR85 with a really great install out of the 2004 chevy cavilier and put it in the 2010 Honda Civic to go the Civic's permanant tags (thought I had to have that car with me in order to get the tags), but my little girl I was watching doesnt like changes so much and was upset by the new car and wanted to ride in Miss Susan's van so I uninstalled it from the Civic and installed it in my van. Now Im rambling... anyways I had it uninstalled and reinstalled in 3 different vehicles in under 30 minutes. Yes its heavy but so is the Nauti.

I like both just fine as seats and installs. And the little girl has low tone and had horrible head slump issues while sleeping in the regular Nauti, slightly better in the Nautilus Elite but it still had to have the seat reclined, and none in the FR85 til I slammed on the breaks in traffic and then her head dropped after that.

AtTheSouthDam

The FR85 is supposed to be delivered Wednesday and the GN will be here Monday I believe. I guess that we will test them both out and decide from there. We have a RN65 that I really like, but I have been using it for DS lately...it it so low profile that he can climb up into it himself. He will have to go RF in the 3rd row so DD can FF in the 2nd row with a TT. So, him being able to get himself in is a nice bonus. We are still trying to figure out what to do in DHs pickup. He has no TT and there isn't a retrofit available, so either she stays RF (he will not be happy AT ALL) or we use a RN with safestop until DH gets a new pickup.

Thanks for all of the input!

NO safe stop withOUT tether anchors. Safe stop is only for use for children under 40# using LATCH or seatbelt AND tether. I'm realize it is likely a typo but I must be sure ;)

melniemi

I tried my dd in her sister's frontier and love the fit. My dd is about the same age and size as yours. She will go into a frontier this spring, most likely. Haven't considered the nautilus because of the headslump issues.

I was going to attach a pic but can't figure out how to on my ipad:eek:

Mom2three

NO safe stop withOUT tether anchors. Safe stop is only for use for children under 40# using LATCH or seatbelt AND tether. I'm realize it is likely a typo but I must be sure ;)

Thank you for pointing that out. I meant to type without. I will edit the post. :thumbsup:

So, I will be checking for overall fit, and headslump. She is a total car sleeper. So, the more comfortable, the better.

melniemi

Pic of my dd in a frontier - she still rides rfing in her marathon, but I wanted to see how she fit.
In the pic she was 37" and 27#s, taken a couple months ago. She just had a growth spurt and is now 38.5" and 30#s:eek: I thought she'd never hit 30#s, she's been 27-28 for over a year.

P1040510.jpg

urchin_grey

Aw what a cutie! :love:

It looks to me like her knees don't quite bend over the edge though, eh? That's my concern with a smaller child.

I know its not a safety issue, but I suspect it could get uncomfy on longer drives.

OMG you just made me realize!!!! I had to put my kids in my moms car over thanksgiving, and she doesn't have tethers, I forgot to take off the safe stop on Fionas xtsl oops. Thankfully nothing happened, I was rushing so I am sure that is why, I could feel the rush on me to hurry up and install the seats cause we were running late and my parents wanted to get moving.. they only get it to a point lol

Aw what a cutie! :love:

It looks to me like her knees don't quite bend over the edge though, eh? That's my concern with a smaller child.

I know its not a safety issue, but I suspect it could get uncomfy on longer drives.

that is Fionas comfort complaint with her frontier 80, that is why she gets so upset when I try to install it for her. It was so bad that she was CONSTANTLY complaining of discomfort in her knees, in the back, even when she wasn't in the car anymore.. since installing the radian she is no longer having the problem (it stopped in a few days.) I love the frontier so I am pretty bummed.

Lemonade

I tried my dd in a nauti the other day just for fun. She fit really well, but hated how it pushed her head forward.

Both of my kids looked really uncomfortable in the GN for this reason. Plus, DS complained about the crotch strap being so close. I do think the GN is easier to install (compared to my FR80s) but otherwise, I'm not a fan. At all.

We *LOVE* our FR80s. I have had DD in one at times and she fits fine. She's 28# and 35" now. My DS has been in one for a long time (2 yrs ?) and he's currently 34# and 42". He's never had head flop while sleeping on long trips.

mlohry

I asking this question more for my own personal situation, but how would a Maestro fit a child of that age, would the fit be better than a GN or a FR? I have a feeling my DD will be about that same size at age 4 and was just curious if a Maestro would be an option for a smaller child.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a TEENY 3.5yr old....28lbs....who rides in a FR85 as his main seat, and he fits great...loves his seat...even if it is overkill. He could easily remain harnessed in a standard 40lbs seat until he was 5 or 6yrs old, even by height. But I wanted him to have the same seat his twin has to avoid battles. He loves it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC