Southwest Airlines Child Restraint Devices Policy

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
We are contemplating a trip to Orlando in December and I was putzing on Southwest's site and came aross this (halfway down the page)

Baby On Board
Information You Should Know When Flying With Your Infant or Toddler

Approved Child Restraint Devices

Convertible-type car seats designed for forward or backward installation in a forward-facing aircraft seat:
Many of these carry the FMVSS.213 insignia and/or language indicating that they are "approved for use in motor vehicles and on aircraft."
Any CRD manufactured between January 1, 1961 and February 25, 1985, must have the following label: "This child restraint device conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards."
Any CRD manufactured since February 26, 1985, must have both of the following labels in red lettering: "This child restraint device conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" and "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft."
Harness-type devices approved by the FAA:
At this time, the FAA has approved only the AmSafe Aviation CARES, which is appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds.
The AmSafe Aviation CARES must have a label indicating "FAA Approved in Accordance with 14CFR 21.305(d), Approved for Aircraft Use Only."
Century Breverra Approved Booster Seat:
The Century Breverra Booster Seat has a high back with shoulder straps and a five-point attach shield, which can be properly installed for aviation applications.
At this time, only the Century Breverra Booster Seat bearing a red FMVSS.213 safety label that reads "approved for use in motor vehicles and on aircraft" may be used on Southwest Airlines flights.
NOTE: No other booster seats may be used during any phase of flight, even if they bear approval labels

The bolding is mine.. I'm concerned about this. Does this mean that they consider a combination seat a booster and that the only combination seat they will accept is the Century Breverra?

Bethany is too tall to fit into any kind of harnessed seat other than a Husky/Regent, so I'm not overly concerned about us flying, but if that wording is confusing to me... I can't imagine what it sounds like to other parents!

Any commentary or ideas how to help them make the passage clearer?

ADS

LEAW

If it looks like a carseat, the flight attendants won't have a clue if it's a combo or not.

We just flew yesterday on SW, and they were great - when I asked for a gate tag for the seat they suggested I use it on the plane... which was my plan since I knew the flight wouldn't be full when I made our reservation.

Anyhow, ime with SW, we've been on at least 10 flights in the last 2 years with at least one child in a seat, and they smile and don't bother me... I had 2 kids RF on the plane (radian and scenara) 2 weeks ago when we went on our trip, and they were very helpful, offered to carry seats (and babies) and bags for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC