OT: Shooting at VA Tech

Simplysomething

I know there are a few posters here with connections to Tech.
They are saying that between 21-25 people have been killed there today.

Link to the google search.

This is the ABCnews article. It says 29.
Apr. 16, 2007— At least 29 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass killing on a college campus in American history — and the death toll may rise.
Police at Virginia Tech, in Blaksburg, Va., said that the shootings happened at a dormitory and a classroom on opposite sides of the university campus.
Law enforcement sources tell ABC News

EDIT: Local news story (Local to ME, not Tech)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just saw the live news video of the gunshots on CNN... it just makes you sick to hear that... man, this is SO shocking!!!

Mama2J

What a sad and terrible thing this was. A friend of mine has a son who was on campus when this happened. Thankfully, he is ok.

vamom

I live in Montgomery County, 20 minutes from Va Tech, and I am in town (Blacksburg) 2-3 times a week. I grew up here, have worked at Tech, have friends who work there, and hang out there. This is just more then I can comprehend.

When I awoke today and turned on the tv and computer, I heard of the shooting, soon followed by the possibilty of 20 dead. Flashback to August and another gunman hiding at VT, only two dead that time.

By this afternoon they had announced that 33 have died, and 15 are still hospitialized, I believe 4-5 are extremely critical. We have had high winds, so the medical helicopters were unable to fly victums to the nearest trauma center, which would then be a 45 minute or so drive.

Last week the police were at a local restaurant and waited tables for charity. Today I was bombarded with images of these same people running with big guns and fearful faces.

Ironically, I did a google search about my area to describe it for another group just yesterday. One of the headings read "Progressive small town living at its best".

This is so surreal - this area has such a wonderful small town feel contrasted against the troubling images of this beautiful campus being stormed with police, and footage with gunfire.

My heart goes out to the victums and their families.

scatterbunny

A friend of mine lives 1.5-2 hours from here, her cousin has friends who are students there. This is so awful. :( It makes me want to keep my child at home the rest of her life.

I cannot believe that there are no security checks before people buy guns.
We here in NZ must have a licence to own one, which has a training unit, as well as security checks before the gun can be purchased.

I am at Uni (NZ) and it scares me to think someone could do this on campus.

broken4u05

We here in NZ must have a licence to own one, which has a training unit, as well as security checks before the gun can be purchased.

I stopped looking at the new because it just scared me too much and i have not heard from some of my friends yet so i could of missed it but he could of gotten the gun from someone else. in MD i am almost sure we have to licensed to own one as well so he could of gotten it from a friend or bought it off the street

CRS

Senior Community Member
I heard about it earlier today, how completely awful and tragic for all victims involved :( My prayers are with them all!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

There are checks here too, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. In order to legally carry a gun here, you must have a license. We don't know that the guy at VT didn't have a license. We just don't know yet.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if he had a license or not. He still did what he did, which is incredibly tragic.

Sure is very sad, a lot of people who were trying to get somewhere in the world to have it ended so quickly, and so tragically.

Lets home these rampages stop happening. RIP fellow students.

I hope their families manage over the years with this event.

Simplysomething

For what it's worth, these things ARE uncommon. And as others pointed out, it probably doesn't matter one way or another if the gunman had a permit for his weapons, as it doesn't prevent people from obtaining guns illegally, from using someone elses guns, etc.

As far as there being no security checks before purchasing guns, I wonder where on earth you got that idea from?

Schools on the whole are quite safe, incidents like this are rare.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
For what it's worth, these things ARE uncommon. And as others pointed out, it probably doesn't matter one way or another if the gunman had a permit for his weapons, as it doesn't prevent people from obtaining guns illegally, from using someone elses guns, etc.

As far as there being no security checks before purchasing guns, I wonder where on earth you got that idea from?

Schools on the whole are quite safe, incidents like this are rare.

It's true, we aren't gun totin' cowboys here in the US...we have all kinds of regulations, waiting periods, licensing...and the freedom to have the NRA oppose those, too. Thank god this is such a rare thing (doesn't make it better for the victims' families... :( )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC