Vent Why did I buy this car seat?

rosey2007

I have a Snugride 35 for my youngest and am wondering why in the world I bought such a heavy seat? He is only 11 pounds and the seat is already too heavy lol. Its not a bad seat but I do wish I would have gotten something else. I do like how easy it is to install with the seatbelt. I haven't even tried it with the LATCH yet.

ADS

oddduck

I have a Snugride 35 for my youngest and am wondering why in the world I bought such a heavy seat? He is only 11 pounds and the seat is already too heavy lol. Its not a bad seat but I do wish I would have gotten something else. I do like how easy it is to install with the seatbelt. I haven't even tried it with the LATCH yet.

Oh yeah, I'm lugging around a safeseat and a 18lbs 5mo old right now. She's quite tall though and actually would probably be at the limit of the smaller infant carriers though. I'm happy that I'll get the winter out of the seat before moving her into a convertible. They do install awesomely with a seatbelt though :)

Just FTR, I carted around the safeseat with my first little peanut until she was 20 months...:whistle:

luckyclov

I had a plump baby and a Keyfit. Also not light. I didn't carry the bucket a whole lot, I did a lot of babywearing...he was a winter baby, and it kept us *both* warm. Is that an option for you, maybe?

Kobain's Mommy

I have a SR32 that I just went back to for the winter or until he outgrows it. When I had him to the Dr Friday he was 22lbs8oz fully dressed with a full diaper. He's not light carrying, but I figure I can carry him because I'd rather him be warmer (he sweats with just a hat, blanket, and shower cap cover in the thing). I bought a Graco Snap n Go thingy off CL. I'm in love with that little stroller!

vonfirmath

We used a Graco Safeseat with the Graco Snugrider (the Snap and Go) rarely had to tote the seat farther than the stroller. I intend to buy another Snugrider and do it again with this one.

It is just too convenient to have the infant seat for that long. I have decided I can live with a couple of extra pounds in the seat itself for the longevity. (And back then I had to carry it up to the 2nd floor to take it into the house and it STILL was worth it!)

xursusmaritimusx

I had a really buff bicep from lugging DD around in a SS1.

I didnt find it to be that hard and im not a big person.. only 5'4

But I suppose everyone is different.

How are you carrying the seat?

If you hook the handle on your arm, using the inside of your elbow to carry it while using your other hand to hold where the childs feet would be, it can be easier that way.

I know i see a lot of people trying to carry the seat by the handle, as the seat bumps around near their knees and thats the harder way to carry.

tl01

Don't feel badly... I find all buckets awkward to carry once the baby is over about 10 lbs. Between my two boys, I've had 4 different bucket seats. The SS1 is the big and it is awkward to carry but honestly, my KF30 isn't much better. I would just leave it in the car when your baby is awake and lug it is baby happens to be sleeping. DS2 is never asleep once the car has been off for more that about 20 seconds so I never have to move the seat from the base.

robbertbobbert

I had a really buff bicep from lugging
I know i see a lot of people trying to carry the seat by the handle, as the seat bumps around near their knees and thats the harder way to carry.

I see this ALL THE TIME and I feel bad for the poor babies. I've seen several trying to sleep and being jerked awake every time mom/dad/whomever swings them as they step.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
hahahahahahahaha
I have NO idea. I never got the bucket thing. Used convertibles from birth, both times. In ugly nasty winters. *shrug*

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah. Our first 2 we had infant seats, and mostly it was so awkward to carry them in that, that we ended up carrying the baby in one hand, seat in the other! And my kids outgrew their 22 lb. buckets WAY before 22 lbs. Which is why I now use convertibles from birth, I can't even manage carrying a newborn in a bucket, I can't imagine lugging a 20 plus lb. kid in one. LOL.

emandbri

I had one but the longest I ever carried it was from the van into a resturant. At home I would carry it from the van and leave it in the basement if she was sleeping and when out would park next to where the carts were. I also wore her a lot.

amyd

Yeah, those buckets get heavy really fast. I only ever used ours when I wanted DS to stay asleep or I was going somewhere I couldn't wear him (Dr's apt for me, etc). It stayed in the car most of the time & I suspect it will this time too.

sunnymw

Hehehe, DH and I call them "shin bruisers". :p

I do plan on using a bucket this time, but only because of the fact that I'll be doing 3-across (hope we still have this car with its nice back seat.... :whistle: it's on its last legs) and it'll be in the center, so I'll unclick it to buckle baby and unbuckle but leave it in the car anyway.

We used a Radian from birth with DS2 and it was oddly enough SO much easier. Go figure... lol. Of course I make hot weather babies.... heck they could be born in December here and still be hot weather babies :ROTFLMAO:

krasota

MY DS hated the carseat from the beginning, so we generally left the bucket in the car and just wore kiddo when we were at our destination. It's easy enough to just carry the bucket in at night if you're worried about cold.

fyrfightermomma

I couldn't carry J in the SS1 past like 16 pounds(when he was a whole like 3 months old). That thing is just weird and awkward! Yet I just got a Shuttle 33 and he's now 26 lbs and I have zero issues carrying him in it. It's pretty easy and I can do it one handed! Our KF wasn't any easier than the SS1. In fact that was a PITA too. The shuttle by far is the easiest to carry in my book

I'm a bucket gal! Trying to get 3 children under 5 inside when it's -5 isn't my cup of tea. Easier to just be able to set baby on the ground when getting the others in or have one arm free for a random child who decides they won't walk in the cold. Plus not getting 3 kids in hats, gloves, coats, boots etc is nice. I only have two to do it for :) J just goes in the bucket in the house with a cover. No hat or anything. Plus he's contained while I'm getting the others ready and he can't crawl away :p

But I rarely carry it in anywhere. I like it for restaurants when they can't sit up yet (my kids don't sit up until like 8 months). I like it for church because if the other two are being naughty I can put J in it quick to deal with them. Otherwise I'd have no where to put him!. And it's nice for quick in and out cold runs like into school. Other than that he just gets taken out. And if it's only one other kid he gets taken out

I do love my buckets though!

Mylilboyblue

I feel your pain, literally.

DS2 is around 18lbs at 4.5 months old. We have a SS1. It is really heavy and awkward. Even DH has issues carrying it!

carseatfreak

Oh...I envy your SR32! I have twins, one of whom is about to outgrow her SR22 and I really want to keep them in buckets through the winter for the last poster's reasons (trying to get out the door in the morning is hard enough without hats/coats/etc!). I actually had MyRide's installed and removed them and put the bases back in (as the wintry weather conditions here began). Plus...I'm a little leary of my gracefulness in winter weather conditions and if I'm going to wipe out carrying one/both of them I would rather them be in a bucket closer to the ground. I carry them by the handle but hold my arms out while walking to keep them from hitting my knees (quite a sight...I have super arm strength now that they are average sized 9 month olds!).

I agree with previous posters...leave it in the car as much as can be allowed. I did this more with my singleton. :) IMO...there are times when a bucket is very convenient and those times make the pain of messing with them worth it for some of us!

~Amanda

Chila88

Another bucket lover here! I moved my 22lb 10mos old back into a SS1 for the winter and don't regret it a bit. In fact, carrying the seat with the handle in my elbow, I don't find it nearly as heavy and akward as I thought I was going to.

I also agree with the pp posters that with an older kid to get ready too...having the baby strapped in and contained makes life soooo much easier.

Kat_Momof3

Ruthie HATED (we're talking blood-curdling screams that had me decided that I either needed to find a seat she would love, or ear plugs for everyone else in the car... yeah... THAT BAD... make ya almost get in a crash bad) the infant seat... so I only took it out of the car maybe twice... once was when we left the house when she was 4days old... to get something for me (I was formula feeding due to my meds and yet was gushing like a dairy cow... I needed the last TWO breast binders BRU had)... my bff drove me, cause I was the only one who knew what they remotely looked like and then had to figure out size... and she put the seat in the basket because I was not up to wearing baby yet or carrying baby around the store with my boobs like that...

and another time was at the park when she was like 2wks old... cause it was so windy, but I ended up holding her the whole time as she hated the seat...

she was like 6wks old when we switched to a convertible and made the infant bucket her EXTREMELY occasional seat for my mom's car (just cause we had it... otherwise, I just reinstalled for the rare times she was in that car)

I think the only way I would have wanted a seat to carry her in was if we had SUPER cold winters... like I had in IL... and that's because I had other little ones to get in and out of the house... just like I used it for Jeffrey every day when we had to cross a busy road to get to the car until he outgrew it (and after that, I used the double stroller or used it and tossed it in the trunk after I put him in his convertible seat) because I had a baby and an 18mo old... and it was just easier to have one of them that I could set down and not have move for 2 min wherever I needed to (sidewalk, next to the car)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC