Brushing teeth?

southpawboston

our elder DD (2.5 yr) still hasn't been to the dentist, but we've been brushing her teeth nightly since she was one year old. she *knows* how to brush them herself, but she can't really do it properly, so we have her start, and then we finish the job for her.

i also wanted to schedule her first regular dentist's visits starting when she hit 2 yrs (if only to start getting her comfortable with going to the dentist), but DW thinks it is too early. i also wanted to start brushing her teeth twice daily (our ped suggested this also) but with our younger DD now crawling and requiring a lot more attention now, that 2nd daily brushing just hasn't been happening.

sooo... i'm wondering what others have been doing:

- when did you start brushing your child's teeth?

- when were they able to brush (properly) themselves?

- how often do you/they brush their teeth (times per day)?

- when did they have their first dentist's visit?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I had a baby toothbrush I started using around 6 months that I gave to DS after he ate with no toothpaste to start. I took DS to the Dentist at 18months because it is recommended where I live to start taking them to the Dentist even at 6 months. My DS is the same age as your daughter, so I don't feel comfortable with him brushing his teeth by himself, although he knows that while we brush we sing "Twinkle, twinkle little star" and if he brushes we sing it 2x's. I try to do 2x's a day but that doesn't always happen.

When I worked in the Daycare, if the kids ate breakfast there they had to brush their teeth and my kindergarden kids I made brush their teeth after lunch (before quiet time) because I couldn't stand the smell of their breath! Would it work for you to try brushing the 2nd time when your DD2 goes for her afternoon nap?

This was our first toothbrush, it covers 6 surfaces and cleans 10 teeth at a time. It was great for teething too!
angelbrush_clear_sm.jpg

southpawboston

Would it work for you to try brushing the 2nd time when your DD2 goes for her afternoon nap?

that's a good idea... we'll try that. :thumbsup: that way the concept of brushing before sleep is consistent with what she already knows... it won't be too "out of the routine" for her...

Mom2nj

I took our DD to a dentist appointment with me slightly over 2 1/2 yrs old, she got to ride in the chair, they practiced having her open her mouth and counted her teeth, just to have her get used to it. Then when she turned 3 that year, she had her first cleaning, She was about 3 yrs 2 months old. We tried to brush them twice daily, but that doesn't always happen. We do stress the bed time brushing, as it is the most important to get the daily grime off. We still help her, she starts and we finish for her. A battery operated tooth brush works nice for her to do on her own too.

Tara

I generally try to be more diligent in their brushing when they're around 1. Around age 2 I let them do VERY little on their own. They can *help* by starting or finishing. At age 3 they are allowed to do more on their own, under my supervision. I'd say I actually brush my 3 yr old's teeth about 2 or 3 times a week. I try try try to get the gang to brush twice a day, but we are just so slow to get around in the mornings then by the time breakfast is finished I'm in "go" mode for school so hurry them into their studies. If I remember I will send them to brush during a break after 2 subjects. Or whenever one comes and breathes on me LOL
Around age 4 or 5 I think mine have been *capable* of brushing well enough. I check their teeth when finished, a couple of times a week at least. However, at times I still brush for my 5 yr old simply for the sake of speed. I want it done. I want it done well. I do NOT want the chaos involved in sending them all to brush...4 kids in a bathroom does NOT make for a good time. Well, for them, apparently so, but not for parents ;) We only have one bath so I *try* to send them in pairs, but it doesn't always happen nor does that always make a difference, but anyway....
you weren't looking for a glimpse into our day LOL
And only my eldest has been to a dentist, if I remember correctly. And that was several years ago. Ideally, I would have them all in around 2 or 3 just to familiarize them with things. Then by 5 have a good check and cleaning. But, it just hasn't happened.

SPJ&E

- when did you start brushing your child's teeth?
Pacey, around 6 months...when he got his first 2 teeth. Joshua, I still don't brush them regularly...BAD mama, I know!

- when were they able to brush (properly) themselves?
The boys' pediatrician said they usually need at least some help until age 5 or so.

- how often do you/they brush their teeth (times per day)?
Pacey, 1 time per day. Joshua...he still has 2 bottles in the middle of the night, so I have a hard time motivating myself to brush them...I can't help but think "what's the point?", but I do need to start before he goes to bed.

- when did they have their first dentist's visit?
Not yet and I'm not sure when I'll take them...BY age 5 though.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I've bought both of my boys their 1st toothbrush with the appearance of their 1st tooth... 6 months or so? For the 1st year, it makes a great teething tool.

For ds1, he started going to the dentist at about 2.5, and goes every 6 months. He really enjoys it. He brushes 1x daily, he does his own teeth, and then I check him, and if needed, assist, or send him back to fix it himself.

Michi

Our dentist won't eve see kids until they are 3, and our pediatrician is fine with that too, so don't be too worried.
The one thing our dentist DOES want us to do, however, is he wants us to help our kids brush their teeth until they are around 7. ( Although I still check and help my 9 year old once in awhile, too - if it looks like she missed a spot.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I still help my 9 and 7 year olds periodically with their teeth brushing (9 yo has tartar build up, 7 yo got cavities in her baby molars, so we are worried)... and kids are never too young for the dentist... bring them in with you to sit on your lap and have the dentist look in and take a peak (we always go as a family, how cute!, they don't really need to get them cleaned till they are a little older, 3?, but it's never too early to start going...dentists can spot problems that parents might miss, you know?)

broken4u05

My dentists take kids starting at age 3. The tiwns brush there teeth with our help once a day at night and have for a few months

Mom2nj

The one thing I remembered most from DD's first appointment, is that he checked the spacing in her teeth to see if there was enough room for adult teeth. Both the dentist and the hygenist (sp) mentioned it. I don't think you can do anything about it if there is not sufficient space, but it will allow you to prepare for the orthodontist when needed...

School mornings are the only mornings I really stress morning brushing and she does that herself, can't send her to school with stinky breath!! It's the end of the day that I or DH help.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We took Nolan to the dentist just after he turned three. He hated it and refused to let anyone look in his mouth. Since we were about to leave on our sailboat, I had wanted his teeth checked before we left but it wasn't to be. While on our trip, I noticed a "spot" on one of his lower molars. So he did go to the dentist when we returned in the fall. Yep, a cavity. At 3 3/4 yrs old. No sugar. No candy. Not sure what's going on.

Now we're more diligent about brushing morning and night. He hates to brush his teeth but we bought him a cheap electric toothbrush that he loves. He brushes, then we do "tooth check". In the mornings, we usually let it go but in the evenings we tend to do extra cleaning ourselves during "tooth check". He used to like to brush our teeth for us but not so much anymore. He loves to use the little flosser things on his teeth.

It's been a battle for us. This is hard for me b/c I didn't have a cavity until I was 15 yrs old or something. Brian's family has pretty bad teeth so I'm guessing maybe it's genetic that Nolan has already had a cavity...?

BTW, he has a dental checkup on Wednesday - let's hope there's a good report this time! :thumbsup:

ThreeBeans

My 2.5 year old can't do a good job either, although he likes to try :love:

We brush his teeth twice a day. I started 'brushing" when my kids started eating things other than breastmilk.

He had his first dentist appt at 12 months because his bottom teeth were growing in funky.

gwenvet

I can't find it on their website but the ADA (Am Deltal Assoc) has changed its recommendation. They now suggest that children visit the dentist at age 1! It used to be at age 2. A child in Aarons preschool had tooth abcesses and had to have two teeth pulled so that the infection would not destroy her adult teeth, so there are definitely things that can go very wrong in little mouths. We brush our 4 ry olds teeth twice daily, but only get around to brushing our 19mo olds once daily...and sometimes we forget.:whistle:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Most kids cannot properly brush their teeth without adult help until at least about 6-7 years old. The sooner kids become comfortable with the dentist the better!

I "brushed" Leila's teeth with a washcloth as an infant/toddler & used the appropriate toothbrushes according to the age range written on the wrapping. I still help brush Leila's teeth although she now likes to use a kids' vibrating toothbrush on her own 1st.

I always brought Leila to the dentist with me & they welcomed her in the room, sitting on my lap when she was smaller & now standing at my feet to watch. She LOVES the dentist :) We make it fun at home, too, by using the WaterPik.

southpawboston

I had wanted his teeth checked before we left but it wasn't to be. While on our trip, I noticed a "spot" on one of his lower molars. So he did go to the dentist when we returned in the fall. Yep, a cavity. At 3 3/4 yrs old. No sugar. No candy. Not sure what's going on.

<snip>

It's been a battle for us. This is hard for me b/c I didn't have a cavity until I was 15 yrs old or something. Brian's family has pretty bad teeth so I'm guessing maybe it's genetic that Nolan has already had a cavity...?

don't sweat it... i was made to feel guilty by my parents for having SO many cavities as a young kid, but then when i was a teenager the cavities suddenly stopped... almost literally over night. when i asked my dentist, he said something about an enzyme that sometimes doesn't get produced as much in some kids until puberty... and when not sufficiently produced it can cause cavities, even when the diet is perfectly fine and sugar free (i've never bothered to go back and research it, since it's moot point for me now). i've ALWAYS had a sweet tooth, and for my cavities to stop literally overnight (haven't had one since 14), it has got to be more than than just a change in diet... and my oral hygeine was never good until i reached my 20s :rolleyes:

plus, as you mention, there is also a genetic component... some people are just more prone than others... i had a ton of cavities but my teeth are strong; my wife never had cavities but her teeth are brittle and chip constantly. it's just natural variation...

scatterbunny

When Hayley was a baby, even before teeth, I used a washcloth to clean her gums after she ate, when I washed her face, or whenever it seemed like a good time. We moved up to a baby toothbrush when she started getting teeth, and have used different toothbrushes (different-sized heads, shapes, brands, electric, non-electric) over the years.

Hayley is going on 6 and still doesn't do a wonderful job. She tried to get away with brushing for about 15 seconds and calling it good. :rolleyes: So I have to monitor her brushing and usually re-do a number of spots myself.

Right now we're only good about brushing before bed. We really need to get better about that. I always brush my teeth in my morning shower, but Hayley bathes at night so we always forget to have her brush her teeth in the morning. :eek:

She hasn't had an actual dentist visit yet (bad mommy, I know). She's had two short dental exams at preschool multimodular exams (something the local health department does for kids 3-6 in this county; they do a whole battery of tests and exams, it takes literally all day, but it's free, and it's pretty cool to get an eye exam, dental exam, hearing test, academic skills tests, physical skills tests, etc. all for free). I really need to figure out what insurance covers and get her an appointment.

I am dentist-phobic. I have memories of my mom and a hygienist holding me down while the dentist worked on me, with a clamp in my mouth to hold it open, and I felt like I was drowning on my own saliva but couldn't tell anyone because of the damn clamp, and they were holding me down while I struggled to move and sit up to tell them what was going on. :(

When I had my upper wisdom teeth pulled Hayley was about six months old. I told the dentist that I'd rather go through another natural labor and delivery than even come to the dentist for a cleaning. Of course they thought I was being funny, but I was serious! I still need to get my lower wisdom teeth removed, but those are going to require oral surgery, and I will only do it if I can be put to sleep during the procedure, and I'm not covered by insurance, so I don't go. I haven't had a cleaning in probably 4 years. :eek:

Mark's family has very bad teeth, but he has NO cavities whatsoever and hasn't been to a dentist in probably 5 years. His teeth aren't wonderfully white, but they are cavity-free.

My teeth are much whiter than his, but I have cavities. :(

Amaris

We started brushing their gums when they were 3 or 4 months old. They both had their first dentist visits around 18 months! We have a pediatric dentist that they see, and he likes to see them early to get them used to having someone poke around their mouths! The first actual cleaning was around 3 years old. Michael will be 6 next week and still doesn't get to brush on his own. He has thin enamel combined with a lot of crevices (more than normal) in his molars, so he gets lots of help. Isaiah only gets his turn when we are done. Last month Michael had his first cavity, and we were brushing and flossing twice a day!! Once in the morning and once before bed, now we do it 3 times a day!!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, at least with my kids, lol. We've tried many times to have my 7 yr old ds brush his teeth and if we don't intervene, he ends up with tartar (plaque? whatever builds up) on his teeth. It's a huge production and a half to get my ds to the dentist, so it's easier for dh and me to brush his teeth and get it done right. Plus, my kids just suck the toothpaste off the toothbrush--ew! My 4 yr old is better about brushing her teeth, but still usually only gets one tooth really clean while the others suffer.

Around here it's recommended to start seeing the dentist at age 1. That's a little too young for my taste, so we started around age 2, I think. They just count teeth and get the kids used to the office and procedures until around age 4 or 5 when they start cleaning and x-rays.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We started brushing for both DDs when their first tooth emerged. 5 year old DD1 still needs help with brushing, and went in for her first dental checkup/cleaning when she was 3. We didn't attempt to take her in earlier due to her strong gag reflex and oral aversions. We figured it would have been an absolute disaster and frightened her more than it was worth. We try to brush after every meal if we're home, or at least after breakfast and before bedtime. My youngest doesn't have the gag reflex issues so we'll probably take her in for her first dental checkup later this year when she's 2 years old. No cavities so far for either of them. :thumbsup: DD1 already has lost a front baby tooth, has 1 permanent molar and another permanent front tooth emerging, and 3 more loose front baby teeth (all of this has happened in the past couple of months, lol). I never have had a cavity and hope a combination of good brushing habits and any hereditary factor from me will keep them cavity-free. Braces are probably going to be part of the picture for them though, just like it was for me. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC