saw the strangest thing today

amelia222

I was in the grocery store and saw a baby in an OHS convertible in the shopping cart. I had to do a double-take :eek: So I guess (hope) that she reinstalls it every time she gets back into the car? This definitely tops the list of the weirdest carseat sue I've ever seen.

Also, I tried dd in a nautilus in the same store just for fun and she hated it! Then when we got back in the car she patted her radian and said good carseat. :p

ADS

Aurezalia

That's really strange. I wouldn't be surprised if she's just sitting the seat in the car without strapping it in, though. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that. :(

And LOL about the Nauti! Too funny!

skaterbabs

I've seen it quite a few times. The child is sleeping when they get there, so they take it out of the car like they would an infant seat. Unfortunately, when the put it back in, it's usually installed VERY badly.

nevaehsmommy

I have done that a few times. Mainly bc when Nevaeh needs her nap she needs it bad. No way am I waking that child up. She takes a two to three hour nap as well. When she was younger I would just uninstall the seat and place it in the cart. I could shop and she could sleep. It worked well, unless she had not woke up by the time we left then it was a bear to install and usually woke her up anyway.

Now if the child was awake-whole nother story.

monstah

my cousins wife use to do that when she needed to take a cab to the grocery store with her kids....

That's exactly what I was going to say. I see infant seats with the bases still attached at the mall, hospital, etc. because they are using a cab / getting a ride, whatever.

I actually got a RSTV for my sisters 1.5 year old. After my niece outgrew her infant seat, my sister was putting buckling the seatbelt over both of them in cabs. :( So I commend the parents if they would go through the trouble of lugging a OHS around the grocery store for a cab ride. (If that's what the OHS was for.)
Still, definitely a sighting that would make me do a double take. :p

katiesmommy

I did it all the time with an awake child in a marathon. When we lived in japan we didn't have a car. We took cabs everywhere. Seat sat very securely on top of the stroller we had at the time. It was pretty much the only way we could get around there unless I was willing to go without a seat, not an option.

amelia222

If people took cabs around here that would make sense, but they are way too expensive. Part of the reason I was so shocked is that I have never seen a seat that old up close.

ca2003

That's exactly what I was going to say. I see infant seats with the bases still attached at the mall, hospital, etc. because they are using a cab / getting a ride, whatever.

I actually got a RSTV for my sisters 1.5 year old. After my niece outgrew her infant seat, my sister was putting buckling the seatbelt over both of them in cabs. :( So I commend the parents if they would go through the trouble of lugging a OHS around the grocery store for a cab ride. (If that's what the OHS was for.)
Still, definitely a sighting that would make me do a double take. :p

Whenever I see infant seats with the bases still attached I always assume it is because they are installing the infant seat as if it is a baseless install but it is attached to the base :eek: because I have seen that being done before. I don't understand how people don't realized the base should stay in the car especially when they are trying to get the seat + base to snap into the stroller.

tjham

I used to do it with a FP Safe Embrace with my granddaughter. She would wake up if I tried to take her out of the seat but stay asleep in the carseat. It was quite funny! I usually was at home but occasionally put it in a cart at a store. But she was always awake by the time I reinstalled it. ;)

Seeing an old overhead shield, coupled with the fact that it was in a cart, would be quite strange! :eek:

Shaunam

I saw that once, with a developmentally disabled child (older car seat but not OHS). It's hard when your kid can't sit up in the cart but is too big for the bucket. I push DD's stroller ahead of me and pull the cart behind me. It would be nice to stick her on the cart!

canadiangie

I've seen it once at a restaurant and then again about a month ago at walmart. All I can think about is the install.

alake

I worked retail for many years. I had a lady who would bring her baby in, and they always shopped during nap time in her Eddie Baure 3 in 1. She would reinstall it every time. I had never seen anything like that before either.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I used to do it. Not often, but we never had a bucket. I dont remember doing it for shopping, cuz i could just wear in a sling, but mostly for restaurants...I would drop food on the baby in the sling, lol, I'm a complete slob/klutz, so I'd bring the convertible in to lay baby in until they could sit up on their own. I always reinstalled really well too of course :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC