CRS---Australia carseat questions

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
My friend lives in Queensland and has some carseat questions. Her ds is 3 years old and weighs about 12.5kg (I think...she said he was 2lbs away from being the booster weight which is about 30lb? I don't know--I don't know a whole lot about the conversion from lb to kg! :eek: ) She is looking at the Safe-N-Sound Pegasus which she would use with a child harness. I'm not familiar enough with the carseats or regulations there to offer any real advice other than "keep him harnessed." I recommended she look at the Maxi Rider II or the Explorer. I don't know if those are the best options or not. I have sent her a link to this thread and hopefully she will post here and you can help her out! Thanks so much!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Pounds is basically multiplied by 2.2 to get Kilos..... But I'm SURE their harnessed seats go to 18K (15 K would be like 30 pounds and our total bare minimum)... I don't think she should have a problem finding a real seat that fits to 18K (might try www.britax.com to go to the Aus. sites, or target.au...or something like that, they have target there and it has good seats...they have a Parkway with a top tether! different name though). That harness she's looking at is probably the same as the Belle video, have you seen that? Maybe she thinks that's safer than a regular harnessed seat?

drjanetm

The Maxi Rider II goes to 18kg harnessed (about 40lb?), and after that, you can buy the Protecta Harness which is specifically designed to use with the MR II to convert it into a 5-point seat (the MR II has an antisubmarine clip which works with the PH) for kids up to 26kg (about 55lb).

Maxi Rider II

HTH!

CRS

Senior Community Member
My friend lives in Queensland and has some carseat questions. Her ds is 3 years old and weighs about 12.5kg (I think...she said he was 2lbs away from being the booster weight which is about 30lb? I don't know--I don't know a whole lot about the conversion from lb to kg! :eek: ) She is looking at the Safe-N-Sound Pegasus which she would use with a child harness. I'm not familiar enough with the carseats or regulations there to offer any real advice other than "keep him harnessed." I recommended she look at the Maxi Rider II or the Explorer. I don't know if those are the best options or not. I have sent her a link to this thread and hopefully she will post here and you can help her out! Thanks so much!

My first pick would be the Maxi Rider II, second to that the Explorer. I wouldn't use the Pegasus with child harness unless necessary with all other methods of restraints exhausted or my budget was very limited. There's a whole lot of products and suggestions listed here for Australian and New Zealand residents: http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/extended-harnessing.html

Is he very tall though? If so, then he might be to tall for the inbuilt harness of the Maxi Rider II, it's really best if she can try DS in the seat before she buys as the harness slots might not be high enough, though I know of kids that age and older that can still fit.

A

andyjewell

Hi, I'm Alicias friend.

My son is 3 and weighs 13kgs and is 97cm tall. I have him in a convertable Safe n Sound car seat but it is 10 years old and i know that means its expired. The convertable boosters do look like what i need now but i just can't afford to spend over $300 on a seat. Thats why i was looking at the Pegasus for when he gains another kg. I can buy it for $125.

CRS - can you explain why you wouldn't recommend the Pegasus? I really can't afford the Maxirider:(

thanks so much

Andrea

CRS

Senior Community Member
Hiya Andrea

It's not that I wouldn't recommend a Pegasus (it's perfectly safe) it's that I tend to recommend the Maxi II, Explorer and MaxiPlus over most others as they offer quite a few safety features. And whilst it's certainly still a safe seat, it's composed completely of polystyrene foam which isn't unsafe as such but may be more susceptible to damage.

Keeping in mind that an inbuilt harness is much better then a child harness, which is why you'd want to look at one of the above three, as the Pegasus doesn't have an inbuilt harness (which you of course know). You'll also have to figure in the cost of the child harness for the pegasus too. For the Maxi Rider II used in conjunction with the Protecta Child Harness (18-26kg), you do have to factor in that cost too, but that might not be for awhile depending on his age/height.

Babyco sell the explorer for $314.95 CLICK HERE

Definitely a good idea to ditch the 10 year old seat for sure!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC