Do You Wear A Bicycle Helmet?

TheRealMacGyver

Honestly now everyone, this subject came up and I really can't see my self wearing a helmet on a bicycle. I have never needed one so far:D I do want to be a good role model for my son in every way possible, but this one just makes me cringe. Obviously, he won't have this choice and will be required to wear one at all times ( I know-hypocrite, but I'm the parent, I'm allowed to do that!) I am guessing that those of you under, say, 25-30ish, probably wore one growing up and do it automatically without considering how goofy you look in it (just kidding). Those of us 30+ might be more apt to think the way I'm thinking. Maybe I should have made this a poll, but I've never done that, so too late.

I don't want to hear about why I should wear a helmet ( I know why), but instead, if you did not grow up wearing a helmet, do you wear one now?

ADS

Melizerd

I'm 24 and I've never worn a helmet. I'm probably the last group of kids to not wear one growing up. Everyone I know younger then me does.

I agree about my son though, I'm the parent and that's the beauty of being an adult sometimes. I also know WHY I should wear one but I just can't do it.

CandCfam

I came from the anti-safety family. We rode in pick up truck beds, on the hoods of cars, running around inside passenger vans, never knew what a bike helmet was.....
just to give you an idea of how UNsafe I was brought up.

I ALWAYS wear a helmet when on a bike or rollerblades, and if I ever get to the ski slopes again, we will wear helmets.

ETA: I'm almost 34 Y/O.
My hubby is of the same mind as well, and he is 37 Y/O.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We always wear helmets, if no other reason than to provide the proper role modeling to kids -- Leila was wearing her helmet even on her tricycle on the deck just to be in the habit. After growing up in my father's Prosthetics & Orthotics patient care facility I've seen numerous cases 1st hand of the effects when people survive vehicle and/or biking accidents (death being merely the tip of the iceberg). It's not pretty & it lasts for the rest of their lives: severe brain damage or paralysis is worth spending a few bucks on a helmet + the "embarrassment" of wearing one. Health & safety issues are NONnegotiable!

broken4u05

I a 20 and had to as a kid but i dont really anymore. Unless on roads than i have to but on trails andaround my yard i do not

Tara

We were a very safety minded family growing up. I remember thinking my friend and her family were 'weird' because they insisted on seatbelt use ;) But once I started driving, I was adamant about seatbelt use. And safety mindedness has continued from there. The kids all wear helmets as soon as they use anything with wheels. However, before I had a child, I didn't wear a helmet when I rode my bike.
But now I do...then again...I ride BMX, so it's a full face one and you'd be REALLY stupid to not wear a helmet on the track. You are required to for racing, but even on practice...you'd just be stupid to not wear one. So, helmets while on a bike is habit. And I'm sure I look 'dang hot' (LOL) in my full face helmet :p

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Never wore a helmet until after I had kids. Now, I wear one every time I ride. It felt weird at first, but now, it's second nature.

southpawboston

i grew up riding a bike more than walking, and never wore a helmet... this was in the day before seatbelt use was mandatory, and i came from a safety-ignorant family.

but i do wear one now. and it's not JUST for role modeling... i want my daughters to still have a father if i ever get into a bike accident. we also live in the city where accidents involving car+bike are pretty common, so wearing a helmet is a MUST. i would feel as "naked" and vulnerable now on my bike without a helmet as i would not wearing my seatbelt in the car. but when i first started wearing a helmet (upon DW's insistance) it did feel kind of funny and dorky, but i got used to it real fast. it actually amazes me how many people still don't wear a helmet on their bikes in the city (or who don't wear reflective gear, for that matter!)...

Simplysomething

I don't even have a bike. If I had one, damn straight I'd wear a helmet, and yes, when we're out and my older DS is attempting to ride his bike, I make him wear a helmet.

Michi

Yes I do.
I don't like it... (I don't like any sort of hats in general...) but I feel like I would be a big hypocrite if I didn't, and I want to set a good example for my kids.

lovinwaves

My husband and I are avid Bike Riders.

I am 26 and he is 38. We BOTH wear helmets.

I had a bad crash a few years back where I hit head-on with another biker.

It was as horrific as a bike crash can be, I think LOL! :dizzy:

We both were going very fast. He was knocked out for a split second he said. He was NOT wearing a helmet but I was. Both of our bikes were totalled.

I have had 2 previous concussions, 1 was considered mild. One of my accidents (horse incident) my helmet cracked down the middle.... What if I wasn't wearing it? Would I still be here?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I've never wore a helmet, and I'm in the under 25 category.

I'd say that I'd wear one, but I have no desire to ever ride a bike again. But if I did, I'd wear one. Same goes for rollerblading, etc.

I'm the super anal mom that makes my kids wear them on their tricycles, their power wheels, etc. I figure... if they're use to them now... they'll never know any different. And when they're 12, 13, etc, I'll never have to say "get your helmet!" because... they'll know.

But of course, yesterday, when my elder ds was misbehaving, I rode his (large) power wheels home from our walk myself. While holding ds2 (not quite 1) in front of me. I kept it in 1st gear, less than 2.5 mi per hour. But still... time to get a helmet for ds2.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Yes we wear bike helmets, but neither of us (DH or I) did growing up. If DS wants to ride his bike, the trike or even in the bike trailer he has to wear a helmet.

Mom2nj

Yup, I wear a helmet when I ride my bike. I like my helmet. Never wore one as a kid, probably should have riding down a rural roads with deep ditches. Didn't wear one till I got to college in 95 and a guy a dated was big into bike riding. I make my kids wear one when we ride to the park, not in the driveway most days because I don't have enough for all the kids. I did make DD wear one last summer because she was riding her bike like a maniac and she fell off and actually broke her helmet and had a bruise on her chin from the buckle. I thank GOD I made her wear it that day...

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I never wore a helmet growing up. Don't remember ever seeing a helmet growing up.

However, when I bought my bike as an adult, I also got a helmet because (not in order of importance):

1) In MA where I lived at the time, there was a helmet law for kids and I was a teacher (role model).

2) It came with the bike - that and a water bottle and cage.

3) I thought it was a good idea. (I've worked in special ed for years so I've seen what can happen with a head injury).

Then one of the first days I was rollerblading, I went down a slope and crashed into a wall. The helmet cracked, the wrist guard shredded - and so did my hand, I got a good gouge in the knee pad and the skate, but I was okay.

I too would feel naked w/o my helmet - just like not having a seatbelt. I am NOT a hat person. Aside from my helmet, swim cap, and the occasional hood in nasty weather, I don't cover my head.

My response to people that don't wear helmets is, if you think this is uncomfortable, you should try the HALO where they bolt it to your head or consider the discomfort of loosing skills and memory from TBI.

scatterbunny

I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years (I'm 28). I was never required to wear a helmet as a kid; no one ever bought me one! My little sister is 13 and she's always been required to wear a helmet, and provided with really cute, girly ones. :p

If I was to ride a bike now, I'd wear a helmet, definitely, even though I'd feel goofy at first. Some bike helmet designs aren't quite SO goofy, and I'd rather look goofy and be safe than look cool and be unsafe and end up seriously hurt or dead.

cpsaddict

I am 27 and I was never required to wear a helmet. My youngest sibling is 17 and he is not required to wear one, even though he has one. My parents tend to not change their parenting mentalities. That said, I have not ridden a bike in years. I hate them, they seem so easy and then I am dying by the time I get back. :D I guess I need to get in shape!

My kids, OTOH, will always be required to wear them. Hmmm, anyone ever heard of a stroller helmet? J/K :D

You know, it's funny, I was thinking about this the other day...how many of you carseat safety obsessed people wear helmets? Well, now I know. I'd say not as many of you are safety freaks as you say!!! Of course I wear a helmet. So does DH. Why wouldn't I? Would you drive down the road without a seatbelt? It has nothing to do with my kids, I just like my head in one piece (even if internally it's not!). In fact, last month I replaced both dd's helmets b/c they were old and I realized they were expired! (Gasp! Yes, helmets expire too. And shouldn't be dropped. Just like seats!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC