Why is HFC in everything!?

ajweeks

Ugh, I've just been reading more labels, things that we are buying that I thought were ok and now I'm disgusted. HFC is everywhere! Why? In ketchup, salad dressing, bread (even whole wheat that I thought was "good" whole wheat). Mainstream foods are just getting more and more processed it is frustrating!

ADS

southpawboston

yes, it is frustrating, isn't it??? :( my family struggles every day to avoid HFCS.

the main two reasons it's in everything is becuase it is cheaper to produce per unit "sweetness" than sugar, and since it is liquid, it is easier to blend into foods during food manufacturing. both of those maximize the profits for the food companies. :rolleyes:

there are other reasons it is in everything, but those are political. our huge corn industry has successgully lobbied congress to pass HUGE subsidies to corn growers, while we have taken away subsidies for cane growers. so we are helping the corn industry while destroying the health of our nation. :thumbsdown:

also beware that HFCS can be called other things, such as invert syrup, corn sweetener, invert sugar, and some similar vairations on that. so buyer beware!!

Splash

C-H-E-A-P

That, and corn growers who have managed to get massive subsidies that they in no way deserve, so the government is paying them millions of dollars a year to grow corn the no one needs or wants. Corn isn't even food, it's a weed! It's not meant to be eaten!

Niea

I hear you, it's extremely irritating that we have to go out of our way to not feed our families junk.

We try to avoid HFCS but aren't successful with everything. But I really try! Whole Foods is awesome because their products don't contain it :) Trader Joe's, on the other hand, you have to be careful because HFCS is still in a lot of stuff there.

ajweeks

We don't have whole foods or trader joes yet, but they are both are coming soon! :)

In the meantime, we can just read labels as best we can and maybe buy a bread machine. For example, DH noticed yesterday that store brand kidney beans had HFCS in them, but the organic store brand did not.

But then there are all the other additives that are difficult to figure out--like with lowfat organic milk. I'm still considering Feingold. It is just frustrating that I have to spend money to figure out what I can and can't buy. Organic milk shouldn't be able to sneak in BHT and not label it!

southpawboston

Isn't a weed a plant that grows where it is not wanted?
I'm just saying.

yeah i think you're right that *technically* a weed is an undesirable plant that interferes with your crop or whatever it is you are growing (i'm sure that's not exact, as i'm not consulting a dictionary here...)

but i think that splash's point was that corn is not considered a crop for human consumption in most parts of the world... and if anything, it is grown for cattle feed. but the corn that is grown for comsumption in the US is a different breed of corn that is definitely tastier than the corn grown in other parts of the world for livestock feed.

i for one LOVE bbq'd corn on the cob!!!

southpawboston

Organic milk shouldn't be able to sneak in BHT and not label it!

if you're referring to what skaterbabs mentioned, i'm not 100% convinced that's the case. i would really like it if someone could provide evidence that there is BHT in certified organic milk... not all vitamin A palmitate is preserved with BHT, so just because organic milk contains palmitate, that doesn't automatically mean it contains BHT.

sorry for going O/T.

scatterbunny

I am trying to weed out (LOL) the HFCS in our condiments, too! When this bottle of ketchup is gone, I'm buying the expensive $4 a bottle NO HFCS kind.

And Mark just keeps buying Gatorade and Powerade and Propel (he thinks 'cause it's not colored that it must be fine :rolleyes: ) and giving it to Hayley! :mad:

southpawboston

I am trying to weed out (LOL) the HFCS in our condiments, too! When this bottle of ketchup is gone, I'm buying the expensive $4 a bottle NO HFCS kind.

And Mark just keeps buying Gatorade and Powerade and Propel (he thinks 'cause it's not colored that it must be fine :rolleyes: ) and giving it to Hayley! :mad:

i know you don't live near a trader joe's and you're not in close proximity to stores that readily carry organic, but i'm wondering if there's any way to do mail order or web order for some common items (if trader joe's did web orders that would be incredible) because i'm wondering if you'd be able to find much cheaper items that way? $4 for a bottle of ketchup is insane. i think the TJ's organic ketchup is the same price as heinz regular!

ThreeBeans

Ugh, I hear that! Dh and I are on TOTALLY different pages when it comes to diet! I finally made him understand why buying organic dairy and meats was so important esp for DD, but he will give the most unhealthy crap to the kids!

scatterbunny

I've been thinking about online ordering, too. If shipping is not insane, it might be the way to go. Of course, that means budgeting for a somewhat large order all at once, instead of running down to the store every day for this or that, like we do now (not very budget-wise, I know).

I found ONE bread at Safeway the other day without HFCS in it. ONE brand out of about 30 different kinds.

Simplysomething

but i think that splash's point was that corn is not considered a crop for human consumption in most parts of the world... and if anything, it is grown for cattle feed. !!

I know what splash's point was.

I have to say, I've learned more from this board regarding the food supply, vaccinations, circ & breast feeding than any other board, and I've been online for about 10 years. lol

abacus2

I've been avoiding HFCS too. I've found that Natures Own and Peppridge Farm breads generally don't have HFCS (I still double check the labels). Amazon carries a wide selection of organic foods with free shipping over $25. Make sure you check out the specials pages. They have coupons that work out to being about 30% off on some brands. The weird thing is, they had ketchup 2 weeks ago and now I can't find it anymore.

Niea

Interestingly enough, Sara Lee Delightful bread does not have HFCS.

Also, one ketchup and other condiments, be sure to check the store brands too. I've come across a few that have sugar, not HFCS. It's still hit and miss, though, and takes a lot of time and effort to find the few products that are okay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC