Pottery Barn rugs... shedding anyone?

southpawboston

does anyone have experience with pottery barn rugs and shedding?

we recently bought this one for DD's room:

img95l.jpg

then we noticed that after just a few hours, it began to shed and the loops were coming undone. wool fibers were getting everywhere, all over the house, and that was with daily vacuuming. after talking with some people at PB, they said this was "common" but that it should get better after about 6 months :eek:. they said it was especially typical for hand-looped rugs (which i suspect is bogus). so based on their advice to switch to a cut-pile rug, we returned the rug for this one:

img77l.jpg

well, the same thing happens. the fibers pull right out, and it sheds horribly. we keep finding wool fibers everywhere... and all over our kids' clothes and our furniture. little wool dust bunnies everywhere. is this something common to all PB rugs? i know it's not common to wool rugs in general, because we have several wool rugs and don't have any shedding issues with them.

does anyone else have any PB rugs? what's your experience? does it get better after a while? we're willing to wait if it does get better, because we just love the pattern, and if we decide to return it again we can only get PB credit (long story). we really don't want anything else from PB, so we may just have to live with it.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Not sure how it relates to wool and hand pile and all that, but I know that any new carpet "sheds" something fierce.

Our house has new carpet, and even after a year, I still fill up the vacumm after doing a 4 by 6 square. Does vacumming help?

southpawboston

vacuuming makes the rug look new again, but after another day of walking and playing on it there are fur balls everywhere.

do you find the shedding fibers getting all over your house (including non-carpeted rooms)? i guess if you have wall to wall you may not see all the loose fibers. on hardwood floors they just drift around as dust bunnies.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Most new rugs do that and it is annoying! We had one rug from PB and I didn't find it any worse than our other rugs when they were new.

oxeye

I have a rug from PBK in my DD's room (the cut pile kind I think) and haven't had any shedding problems with it.

I have a different type of rug downstairs from PB that has the opposite problem - it's like a magnet for dog hair and other stuff. I have to vacuum it constantly.

Yoshi

We have a non-PB wool handwoven thick pile rug in our Living Room and it shed some loose bits of pile for several months. The cats didn't hinder things, either:rolleyes: But now we have had it for a couple years and no more shedding, that we notice. I think PB imports some substandard things- we ordered some Kilim pillows from them once that smelled like diesel fuel (that imported from the Far east smell) and the color also rubbed off onto our couch:eek: We returned them. They have some nice stuff, but if I were you, I'd send it back and order bedding or kid's furniture instead.:twocents:

southpawboston

We have a non-PB wool handwoven thick pile rug in our Living Room and it shed some loose bits of pile for several months. The cats didn't hinder things, either:rolleyes: But now we have had it for a couple years and no more shedding, that we notice. I think PB imports some substandard things- we ordered some Kilim pillows from them once that smelled like diesel fuel (that imported from the Far east smell) and the color also rubbed off onto our couch:eek: We returned them. They have some nice stuff, but if I were you, I'd send it back and order bedding or kid's furniture instead.:twocents:

hmm... that's interesting. i did some googling for PB rug problems and you're not the only one who's noticed a fuel-type smell in their rugs! thankfully we don't have that problem, but i wonder if it would be better to just return it for some kid's stuff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC