Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Future of car safety is not for dummies Automakers unite to create virtual humans

There's an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press today about efforts to develop a much more sophisticated computerized model of the human body for car crash testing purposes. An accompanying diagram at the bottom of the article page outlines the history of crash test dummy development. Here's the link (no subscription required to view the article):

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/704150619
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: Future of car safety is not for dummies Automakers unite to create virtual humans

VERY cool article!

I wish carseat manufacturers would have better dummies available for testing purposes. I want to KNOW what the forces measure for spinal compression and things like that. The Radian comes to mind, with the rule that allows shoulders over top slots; how can they say with certainty that that is safe, when the dummies are not instrumented to give us any data about crash forces in that area? Just rambling now, sorry about that.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Re: Future of car safety is not for dummies Automakers unite to create virtual humans

Grrrr, I click on the link and it keeps waiting and waiting and waiting. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?