WWYD?

broken4u05

What would you do if you had to get in a car and the car was full and one person had to ride in the middle with the lap belt only. A few weeks ago i was with some friends and there was 5 of us no way to take another car. Would you sit in a lap belt only seat? are they as bad for adults as kids?

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Yes, adults can still seriously suffer awful injuries in a crash. Obviously we're slightly more developed than a child, but the risks are still there. Not so long ago an elderly lady here was sitting in the middle with the lap belt and died because of the injuries she sustained, everyone else in the car (not in lap belts) survived. (story here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10408596 )

And a younger woman who suffered major damage to her internal organs (see: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10366454 )

I would rather catch a bus or taxi.

scatterbunny

A lapbelt might be better for an adult in the sense that our hipbones are more developed and can withstand the forces placed there by the lapbelt better than a child, BUT an adult is worse in a lapbelt in the sense that our upper bodies are larger and heavier and we will fly farther forward, and with greater force, so there will be much more force placed on our backs, and much higher likelihood of our heads coming in contact with something dangerous within the vehicle.

If there were children in the car in carseats, I'd rearrange and place one carseat in the middle. If the kids were booster-age and needed shoulderbelts, I don't know. Tough situation, for sure.

scatterbunny

:( I'd hope someone else was willing to sit there, I guess. Or not go, if I had to sit there. I'd be worried about the person in the lapbelt's upper body smacking me in a bad crash, too.

CAEKWILSON

my mother works in a ER and has seen many people come in from small children to adult who have just used lapbelts and are more or less cut in half, so i wouldnt go if i had to use just a lapbelt....it is not worth it!

kimk2230

I am going thru this now. My dh has a camaro that only has lap belts in the back. My dd has a radian that I hope will fit back there but my ds is 7 and last year we but him the front with his booster seat and I have to sit in the back with the lapbelt only. I was looking for a laptop for my ds to ride in. I'm not even sure if I found one he would fit alright. Anyone have that would like to get rid of theirs? Is there are height limit to the laptops?
Kim

TheRealMacGyver

Tough call, I think it depends on how important it is for you to get were you are going, considering there are no alternatives. You are definately taking a risk, but is it any worse than driving a motorcycle? If staying behind is an option, you could always make up an excuse to stay, just to avoid the naysayers.

Yoshi

This may sound mean, but I have told my son (18 yrs old) NEVER to sit in the rear center if it's just a lap belt. I know that may force someone else's child to sit there, but if he has a choice- I told him which one to choose...

broken4u05

Tough call, I think it depends on how important it is for you to get were you are going, considering there are no alternatives. You are definately taking a risk, but is it any worse than driving a motorcycle? If staying behind is an option, you could always make up an excuse to stay, just to avoid the naysayers.

Well now i don't care about how unsafe a motorcycle is i love them soo much and hope to get a guy that does as well. I am not going to be the wife and say no dont get it i will be telling him to get it so i can ride along. LOL

O but the worse part about the way i had to ride with the lapbelt only. It was freezing rain outside and snow very crazy weather.

TheRealMacGyver

I am not going to be the wife and say no dont get it i will be telling him to get it so i can ride along. LOL

Maybe I can trade my wife for you:D She even made me get rid of my fiberglass dune buggy, because it was unsafe! (I still love her though)

broken4u05

Maybe I can trade my wife for you:D She even made me get rid of my fiberglass dune buggy, because it was unsafe! (I still love her though)

HAHA. i just love them. Again with me not caring about safety i have been on the back of a motorcycle as young at like 9 i think. I love it. I am not sure i would let my kids get on at that age but god i am going to be on it. There are things in life that you just have to have and you save for them. That is one of them for me the other is a hot tub when i have a house of my own. My parents have one now and i love it

broken4u05

O and i love go carts, durt bikes, and 4 wheelers and if i live in a place for my kids to ride them they will have them. And i will too. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC