What to do in this situation?

turtlemama

I tried looking this up but couldnt find anything that related to what happened.

Today I was getting in my car about to leave Walmart when I noticed two young kids, maybe 2 and 3 in the car next to me, alone. That was the worst part, but just as scary was the outdated seats, gross misuse (probably not even strapped in) and backless booster for the small 3 year old. I waited there until the mom came out, but had no clue if I should say anything to her, call the cops, what?

I actually had a panic attack. The mom appeared to be stoned or something. I feel awful for not doing anything and was wondering what to do if that happens again?

ADS

smackeen

Personally, I would call the police. Unless there is a seperate number to call for child endangerment.

Two young kids in the car that young, so many things could go wrong.

hrice

I would have called the police and would not have let her drive away until they got there. What a sad situation.

HayleyCPST

Yep, I would have called the police and sort of stick around-not creepily though- and see if you observe anything else.

I once saw 2 kiddos in a car, alone, unlocked with the keys on the front seat. They both were crying hysterically and the older one could have easily opened the door and escaped. They were probably 3/4 and 1. I called the cops and notified the shopping mall security. I stood right in front of the car with my nanny kiddos until the mom showed up with a Gap and Hanna Anderson bag. She said the older kid had an accident and she needed new clothes. I was so mad at her that I didn't even know what to say.

Cops showed up after she sped off. I got the plate # though and she was documented.

mrs_teeee67

I'd go ahead and use the 911 service in that instance actually. I'd consider it an emergency/child abandonment, whatever...

Kat_Momof3

hands down... called 911... they don't play with that kind of thing... that's child endangerment at one of it's most obvious displays.

turtlemama

Thanks. I was just about to call 911 when the mom showed up, then I didnt know what to do. I was gonna take her plate number, but didnt have a pen and my memory sucks. After the fact I thought that at the least I could have offered to get her some new seats, or inform her of where to go to get free ones, but I was afraid she would get mad. Then I didnt know what I would have done.
whats worse, but I guess a little good, is that she had the window cracked, as if they were animals :(

louisandheather

I always call the police in child negelect situations. If you are afraid for your safety then you can take the information and drive a little. Hopefully someone will help those kids :(

robbertbobbert

I would have for sure called the police.

Last week I was leaving a petsmart and I looked into the car next to me. There were two kids in it in t-shirts and shorts. There was a baby in a bucket seat, probably 4 months or so old, the seat wasn't even buckled in. There was a 3ish year old just climbing around the car.

Oh, did I mention it was 8 degrees outside? I could see the kids' breath through the window.

We called the police and luckily they got there before the parents came out.

turtlemama

Do you know what happened after that? Do the police take any info from you, or do they just wait for the parents? I would hate for it to be just a "dont do this again" type thing.
The first and only time so far that I reported anything to the police was when I saw a lady in front of me in line at the bank drive through with two toddlers on her lap. I took her car info and went to the police station (small town) and told them she was driving around with young kids in the front seat without car seats. The officer I talked to said he would "look into it," rolled his eyes, and went back to what he was doing. :(

mommy-medic

Call the police. And in extreme temps, let the kids out and take them indoors to warm up. If doors are locked, break the windows (especially in summer). :whistle:

***Disclaimer- the above is what I do at work only- on duty, and only in life-safety situations. Broken windows tend to deter parents from running "a quick errand" next time. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I'd call the police and store security, and around here, they'd break the windows if necessary to extract the children, and then would arrest the mother for child endangerment. They don't play around with kids left in cars.

ConnorsMommy

I would have called the police too. What if one of the children had gotten out and were hit by a car or kidnapped? Crazy mom!
I do remember my mom leaving us kids (I'm the oldest of 4) in the car when she ran errands. At the time, I am sure we were old enough to get out of the car by ourselves if needed. Also, my mom only did this when she was only going to be gone for a few minutes (such as using the ATM, running into the dry cleaners or bank.) I would never do this with my son though.
Once, years ago, I was at the library with the child I cared for and saw a baby, about 18 months old or younger, sleeping in her car seat with the parent nowhere in sight. I went into the library and told an employee what I saw. Sadly, it sounds like its not the first time the mom had done something like that. If I saw that now, I'd call the police right away.

turtlemama

Well I also asked my mom's board that I go to what they would have done, and also what I could do to help prevent it from happening again. Only one replied and suggested I contact the local news stations and see if they will run a story on Child Passenger Safety. Maybe that would get the word out to parents who otherwise dont know, or possibly dont care. The ones that dont care might change their mind if they knew they could go to jail.

So I emailed a local station and asked if they could air a story and told them what happened and why I wanted them to. I also sent them a list of links I compiled the other night on stuff like ERF, EH, proper car seat use etc.

I really doubt anything will come out of it though because who is marrying who in the celebrity world and crap like that is always more important, but at least I tried. I will most likely try again at some point too if they don't get back to me.

I remember being left alone in the car a lot when I was little. My mom was not just running quick errands either. She was doing full grocery shopping trips, visiting friends etc. One time she left us in the pick up truck with my brothers in the back of the truck. My brothers started horsing around and were so loud that someone called the cops. They threatened to take us away, but that was it. I don't remember being in a car seat past the age of 3. I only have one memory of being in one and it was made out of that fake leather stuff with an overhead shield.

robbertbobbert

Do you know what happened after that? Do the police take any info from you, or do they just wait for the parents? I would hate for it to be just a "dont do this again" type thing.

The police got there, took info from me and opened the car with a slim jim or something. They put the kids into one of their cars to warm up and then told me just to leave, so I wasn't there when the parents got out. I was really relieved about that.

I hope there were serious consequences.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have found young kids alone in a car 3 times. Once a newborn, once a toddler (about 2ish) and once it was two kids of about 4 and 2. The mothers of both the newborn and the toddler found their child in my arms when they finally showed up, since the doors were unlocked in both cases, and got told point blank that it was a good thing I hadn't decided to just drive off with them. The toddlers mother broke down in tears when she realized what could have happened. The newborn's mother was so stoned that she couldn't even speak, so I called the cops. The time I found the two children, I used my car to block hers in and waited for the cops to show up.

I would have called the police right away, no hesitation, my DH was in another town, and he saw two small kids alone in a car, and he called 911. he said no adult in sight, they were just sitting in their car seats looking at him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC