securing cargo in a wagon?

jn__

How can I be safe with 2 rear facing kids in a wagon, when there's stuff in the trunk? I'm afraid it's going to fly forward and cause severe injury in the event of a frontal collision. I can have a dealer-installed cargo net... or I can put everything on the roof which is a pita and not very gas-efficient. (but doable for longer road trips, I suppose)

Would it be safer to put heavier objects on the floor of the passenger seat area?

ADS

beeman

I'd go for the cargo net and put the heavy items on the floor of the cargo area. Remember if you load all you're heavy items on the roof rack the centre of gravity of the vehicle is a lot higher, and then is less stable and more likely to roll. Make sure that you're heavy items on the floor can't slide back and forth. It is a lot easier to keep a heavy item from moving then it is to stop it from moving. If it can slide forward a couple of feet its going to have a lot of momentum and power when it hits the seat back, but if its right against the seat back there will be hardly any force. So my advice summed up would be get the cargo net, and don't leave room for stuff to fly forward. Also don't stack above the seat backs until the lower area is completely full.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
When we had a wagon & SUV, I used a combination of a cargo net (for lighter objects) and cargo ties (for heavier ones like the stroller). It was a constant issue, because my husband didn't think it was a big deal.

jn__

Thanks for your suggestions! I can't seem to find the cargo tie-down net that I once saw. I am using ratcheting ties for the big stroller/larger items and I'm going to ask the dealer if they know anything about installing tie down clips. Other problem is the entire floor comes right up.. it's a cover for storage. I seriously don't think they thought about this when they designed the cars.

I have started jamming my stroller in the back footwell area. At the very least, it's not going to fly forward and hit them in the face, and it's under the rf tethers so even if it were to fly upward, I think the tethers might seriously impede this movement. (it's not interfering with them right now just sitting there, though. it's a really small umbrella stroller :) )

I hear you - no one thinks this is a big deal. Everyone seems to have a "well if you're in an accident you're screwed anyway, why bother?" attitude. The husband is humoring me, I'm not sure what he really thinks. I've also purchased a soft crate for the dog and a harness "seat belt" for him. We'd previously been keeping him in a hard plastic crate which I've read aparently explodes on impact... defeating my intended purpose and possibly injuring everyone in the car.

any other suggestions or experience welcome. I am wondering if I should take my trunk cover shade out, at least while they are rear facing. It just clips on.

southpawboston

also, keep in mind that you not only have to worry about items moving forward in a crash, you should think about how many other forces there are in a crash. unless you hit an object perfectly head on, and dead-center, there are going to be forces in more than one direction, including sideways and upward. to think that something is secured from moving forward is not necessarily going to keep you safe in most crashes. trust me, i know this from experience!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC