Kia Sedona - loading through hatch

Joddle

Has anyone done this in a 2004 Sedona? How easy/hard is it? For a trip to the airport in a few months it will have to be FF 5yr old, RF 3yr old, and RF 11 month old. 3yr old RF in middle should be able to climb into his seat past the FF seat, but the 11 month old outboard will have to be loaded in. Will a hatch load be possible? TIA!

ADS

WhatAboutPuppy

I load through the rear in my Element 90% of the time... To make it happen my seats fold back flat and my car seat is installed on the vehicle seat bottom and don't hold their position on the vehicle seat back...
So in other words, what car seat do you want to load from the rear with? and do your seats fold back? or could you remove the head rest on the seat to give more room??

Joddle

From the hatch I will be loading into a 'babylove ezy switch' (I live in Aus). Because of our RF tethering, it would be impossible to lay the seat flat as it would interfere with the tether strap, and also the middle seat installation. The headrests are removable, not sure how much room that would give me though...

Joddle

Has anyone else done this? Even in a Sedona from a different year? Or has anyone done it with a seat that has an ARB?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I've been able to do that in my '07 Sedona, although I usually have two FF and one RF, so I put one of the FF kids in back so they can climb through the hatch and into their seat without being lifted. Easier on my back. But I can see that might make things more complicated with two RF's in the captain's chairs.

It's definitely possible to do it the way you're thinking... does your Sedona have the 60/40 split on the back bench? If you fold the 40% side down and install on the 60% side, that gives you a bit of space to stand so you can get the baby buckled in.

Alternatively, you could put the baby RF in a captain's chair, fold down the other captain's chair, and put the older two (RF and FF) on the back bench. I've used that configuration before and it's nice because the older kids can climb into their seats and you can just sneak past the folded chair and have plenty of room to buckle them.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Oh, and just a note that you might get more replies on this if you bump it up a few hours from now. It's 4:30am in the States, so I think most of our geeks are sleeping. :D

YAY INSOMNIA! :rolleyes:

firemomof3

I have an 06 Sedona and I put my 2 daycare kiddos rf in the 3rd row because its so easy to load them from the back. They are in Radians and my 2 older kids are ff in the captain seats.

Kat_Momof3

I've done it with a dodge caravan and never had an issue... I think as long as the storage area behind the seats is flat, where you can put a knee, if needed, it works quite easily. (and I think the sedona is that way, too)

Joddle

thanks guys, i'm pretty sure it'll work then :) does it make a difference that its a 50/50 split seat?

Joddle

I don't think so... can you remove the headrests in the RF spots to be easier?
Yes I can. I think that should leave enough room to lift/buckle without hurting myself :) I semi-tried it this morning and laying the seats flat definately isn't an option due to the ARB and the way the seat installs.

icnee

I have done it in my caravan with infants in buckets I kept them in the seats. For that I did lower the seat back down. Then I did it with older ones who I would help them climb over (they really thaught it was fun) and then kneel in the back reach over and buckle them it really worked well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC