• dilema

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • dilemma

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • dilemna

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

JaRylan

I went to type the word tonight and I had a brain fart and looked it up online and then I found myself in a real quandry.

ADS

broken4u05

I don't spell that well. I am sure by now everyone can see that though. lol. Sorry i am no help i rely on spell check

JaRylan

I typed it in as "dilemna" and then started thinking. So I typed it into a search engine and someone's blog popped up discussing the spelling of the word. Apparently there is a large portion of society (all age groups and locations from around the english speaking world) that spell it using "mna" and are stunned to find that it is not correct. It's one of those things that the more I think about it the more clouded my memories become. I *think* I've always spelled it dilemna, but I can't say for sure. What I wouldn't give to be able to find an old spelling test right now, lol. I've looked at the word for to long tonight and now none of the spellings look right.

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I took an English class in college that delved into the most interesting aspects of the English language. It covered the very basic building blocks, from diphthongs (don't even ask me what those are right now, lol) to phonics and regional dialects and slang. It moved very quickly, but it was such a cool class and your "dilemna" reminded me of it. :)

JaRylan

I took an English class in college that delved into the most interesting aspects of the English language. It covered the very basic building blocks, from diphthongs (don't even ask me what those are right now, lol) to phonics and regional dialects and slang. It moved very quickly, but it was such a cool class and your "dilemna" reminded me of it. :)

Cool. My first thought was that my dilemna was another case of British versus American spelling. Most people probably think I just can't spell, lol - colour, centre, grey.

aimee123

Well, this is embarrassing.... I am the one person that picked "dilema." BUT..let me explain why. :) I usually do pretty well with spelling, let me just say that right now. :D However, when I looked at the question and the options, I thought, "Well, it's a trick, of course." So, I picked the not-so-obvious answer that could be spelled correctly. And I didn't want to cheat and look up the word.

So, there ya' go. My humiliating moment of the day. :thumbsdown:

JaRylan

My results show that I am "33% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee." A Yankee born and raised in Saskatchewan that is, lol. The one question that really made me laugh was 14 - "What do you put your groceries in?" I put my groceries in a bag but I have been offered "sex" in Minot ND. I was buying my grad shoes at Payless and the gentleman asked if I wanted "sex". It became much clearer that he wanted to put my shoes in a "sack" when he held it up, lol.

Splash

Dilemma. Because that's the way it's spelled. There is no "reason" to spell it that way, that's the correct spelling. Dilemna is used by some people for reasons I fail to grasp, but it is not an "alternate" spelling, it's an incorrect spelling.

JaRylan

Dilemma. Because that's the way it's spelled. There is no "reason" to spell it that way, that's the correct spelling. Dilemna is used by some people for reasons I fail to grasp, but it is not an "alternate" spelling, it's an incorrect spelling.

I honestly can't remember how I spell it or was taught to spell it, lol. No matter how I spelled/misspelled it looked wrong which prompted me to look it up online.

jakeosmom

Just popping out of lurkdom to say that I've heard a lot of people say "dilemna". I also hear a lot of people say "aks" for "ask", "Illinoise" for "Illinois", and "warsh" for "wash". Sure it's wrong but it's probably a regional thing. When I lived in the south, I might coulda started saying y'all pretty easily :).

lovinwaves

Just popping out of lurkdom to say that I've heard a lot of people say "dilemna". I also hear a lot of people say "aks" for "ask", "Illinoise" for "Illinois", and "warsh" for "wash". Sure it's wrong but it's probably a regional thing. When I lived in the south, I might coulda started saying y'all pretty easily :).

Yes, we say here in Missouri... Missourah, Warsh, Antanna, y'all...

skaterbabs

:yeahthat:

Yep, "ax" for "ask" is one of my pet peeves.

broken4u05

Yep, "ax" for "ask" is one of my pet peeves.

I hate it when people say "ax" in songs.. like come on you need to learn the right way to say the word. I dont mind y'all because i say it too. I am a southern at heart. MY grandparents are in VA so they say it and i started to after that

Starlight

Senior Community Member
That test was funny. I got 57% dixie/barely dixie, and dh got 33% dixie = you are definitely a yankee.

Dh is a New Yorker (New Yawker, LOL), but I'm not sure where I'm from. LOL

Of course, my New Yawker is feeding my 11 month old sweet tea. Ugh.

I wonder how much the drive through beer thing set us off. We don't frequent those places, but we have them, and know them as party barns. Very convenient. They should do drive through grocery stores. I wish I could run through the Walgreens drive through to pick up a couple of quick things at times.

:D :D :D

scatterbunny

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

I'm an Oregonian, born and raised. :p But lived with my West Virginia, born and raised Nana until I was 10, and we've always been close. Maybe that's where my Yankee/Dixie comes into play? :)

skaterbabs

I got "52% Dixie. Barely in Dixie", but I tend t use standard pronounciations of words, if I plugged in what is typically heard around here the score would be higher.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC