Checking out boosters and WHAT???

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Unless they've changed, their combination seats had 1y for the booster portion. I don't know about the dedicated boosters.

babyherder

I had an Evenflo Chase and I believe it said that if the child was at least one year and over 40 lbs to use the seat as a belt positioning booster. I wasn't as good with seats when I bought that as I am now but I still wasn't doing that so I didn't pay much attention to those directions.

christineka

I have a backless cosco booster. The minimums for use are: 1 year, 30 pounds, and 34 inches tall. The older britax boosters just have 30 pound minimums- no age. I believe the recaro probooster also has no age minimum, but states harnessing longer to be prefered or something like that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Scary, huh?
I know someone's reviewed it, but I don't remember who :eek: I did play with it in the store and was pretty impressed, and surprised and happy with the flip up armrests for ease of buckling, and the deep headwings, that aren't too close together so kids hopefully won't feel like they are wearing blinders. Come to think of it... Leah wants a booster in the back of the van and the Vivo is a wicked pain for us to buckle... ruh roh...I wonder if I get a paycheck this week, I may be in trouble and buy seat number 70 :whistle:

Kat_Momof3

Scary, huh?
I know someone's reviewed it, but I don't remember who :eek: I did play with it in the store and was pretty impressed, and surprised and happy with the flip up armrests for ease of buckling, and the deep headwings, that aren't too close together so kids hopefully won't feel like they are wearing blinders. Come to think of it... Leah wants a booster in the back of the van and the Vivo is a wicked pain for us to buckle... ruh roh...I wonder if I get a paycheck this week, I may be in trouble and buy seat number 70 :whistle:

I just hate the headrest rules on dorel dedicated boosters... but they DO have a pink one

210_999_2659_5739.JPG

but what's the prob with buckling the vivo?? Ruthie does hers by herself (though she's 6.5yrs old)

Baylor

Scary, huh?

That is just crazy to me.. That is why parents don't get it right.. It is confusing and hard to understand that it is not appropriate for a 1 yr old in a booster if they have it on the label as okay!! I don't understand how they can do that and feel good about it. A 1 yr old in a booster in a crash is likely going to die. Be thrown and killed.. So why would they even put that there?!!!
It makes me angry.. Really Darn Angry.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Because not all parents can afford new harnessed seats for kids who grow out of them. This is the rationale behind allowing booster use at age 1 and 40# on combination seats: it makes much less sense on a dedicated booster that costs more than a Maestro, but likely the companies are just being internally consistent.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just hate the headrest rules on dorel dedicated boosters... but they DO have a pink one

but what's the prob with buckling the vivo?? Ruthie does hers by herself (though she's 6.5yrs old)

Yeah, and I have headrests...

It's probably just that Leah's 4 and getting the belt into that fairly narrow and padded lapbelt guide is pretty tough for her...and for the rest of us trying to help her (It really makes me miss my old Parkways, lol!)

Baylor

Because not all parents can afford new harnessed seats for kids who grow out of them. This is the rationale behind allowing booster use at age 1 and 40# on combination seats: it makes much less sense on a dedicated booster that costs more than a Maestro, but likely the companies are just being internally consistent.

This is not a combination seat. Just a booster. And with all the new guidelines of RF til 2 this is completely counter productive.

No child should be in a booster at 1. We all know that. The companies know that.. This should be something that is addressed. There are going to be parents who see this and put that baby in a booster because it is convenient.

This really bothers me. Parents want to do their best for their children, giving guidelines for usage like this is completely destructive.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I acknowledged that the guidelines make less sense on a dedicated booster, although I understand why companies are internally consistent. I wish they didn't have a 1y minimum on dedicated boosters, but I don't think it's the company's responsibility to make sure parents follow best practice. It's the parents' responsibility.

Baylor

I acknowledged that the guidelines make less sense on a dedicated booster, although I understand why companies are internally consistent. I wish they didn't have a 1y minimum on dedicated boosters, but I don't think it's the company's responsibility to make sure parents follow best practice. It's the parents' responsibility.

How are parents supposed to do the right thing when it is there on the package.. 1 yr and 30 lbs. That will mean acceptable usage to a parent who may not be more car seat savvy. It is bad practice and I emailed them and I am going to forward the email to my friends and ask them to email them.

This is the problem right here. We parents want to do the best we can. We look for advice from the manufactures on usage. Age limits, pound limits. They are there for a reason. We know that and follow that.

There are all kinds of parents out there who could take this as good advice and use this seat on a 1 yr old.

Contrary to this site, most parents are not as car seat smart and make many mistakes trying to do the right thing.
I can not believe that with all the criticism of parents and their bad usage, There would not be more ire focused at the car seat companies for these bad recommendations.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Evenflo does too, right?

Evenflo changed their stance this year and, as of this Dec. I believe, all new Evenflo boosters shipping are supposed to have a 4 year minimum, including combo seats having a 4 year minimum for booster use. At least that's what their rep told us at KIM. :thumbsup:

Baylor

Evenflo changed their stance this year and, as of this Dec. I believe, all new Evenflo boosters shipping are supposed to have a 4 year minimum, including combo seats having a 4 year minimum for booster use. At least that's what their rep told us at KIM. :thumbsup:

I am so glad to hear this.. I for the life of me can not imagine how they can put that 1 yr old age on that seat. It makes no sense..

nevaehsmommy

And this is why my niece is in a evenflo big kid booster as just turned two years old. She has been in it for 6 months now. No matter what I tell SIL about how unsafe it is, her response is "look right her on the seat it says...."

Not to mention Missouri law forbids booster use that early. Seems like the companies should have to market for state laws at least

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC