DD puked again in car seat. Plz suggest ways to keep the mess to minimum.

ally

My DD puked in her Britax BLVD 70 CS again last night. She did this 2 months back too but at that time it was only milk so it was some what easier to clean. This time it was solids and the mess and stink are awful (Really sorry TMI).

Last time I hand washed the cover and cleaned the harness with mild soap and water and also used - baking soda and water on a toothbrush method - after seeing some advice here. It worked then and I am repeating the same this time too. I put the cover in a delicate cycle last night, though I should not, as I could not stand her sitting in it unless it is REALLY clean again. The cover came out well and I line dried it and it is in good shape now. Thank god.

Can you ladies plz suggest me a way to keep the mess to minimum from next time?
Should I use a bib with pocket when she is in car-seat?

Thanks in advance.

ADS

jjordan

It should be fine to wash the cover in the machine on delicate. A bib with a pocket might help next time. Also, if I were you I'd consider getting a spare harness and cover to have on hand if you expect this to happen somewhat frequently. That way you don't have to wait for the harness and cover to dry completely before you use the seat again, you can just switch out for the other set.

Don't worry about washing the Britax covers in the machine...they hold up *really* surprisingly well. I have owned several and washed them all on a monthly basis and I've yet to have anything come unstitched or otherwise damaged. Olivia's BLVD went in the machine on a regular cycle last night and came out just fine :eek:

We're also trying to find an extra cover for her though because it does make life a whole lot easier...we ordered her a new harness a few months ago too and it's totally worth it to me.

ally

Good that they hold up machine wash. Makes a lot of sense for a daily use kids product :)

We were at a half-hour distance from home yesterday when this happened, so we cleaned her and the seat and drove back. I can't imagine this happening on a long drive. Poor DD will be miserable. I better order spare cover and harness.

Just checked britaxusa.com but there were no harness and covers for BLVD70 CS. Are they not out yet? Will the old model harness fit too?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I agree that having an extra cover and harness set come in really handy, because those thick covers can really take a while to line dry, and sometimes you just have places to be!

My nephew was a very active refluxer and they had the most luck with the big oversized bibs that basically look like a terrycloth towel with a hole cut in them for the head to go through. They had a nice soft ribbed neckline, and were easily popped on after he was buckled in, and just lay nicely over the whole harness. They soaked up the worst of it. And on the days where they had to get in the car right after he had eaten, they'd also lay a full-size bath towel over his lap and kind of tuck it around his legs. It worked great, and it's a heck of a lot easier to just toss those in the washer than it is to disassemble the whole seat!

Last edited:

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I almost orderd a bib shirt from onestepahead, that said it held a crazy amount of liquid. My youngest had horrible reflux. They have one in bib form and one that looks like a shirt that you could put on over the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC