What are your kids wearing this winter?

mamakc

I was thinking maybe a picture thread/discussion could be started this year for what our winter set up is. I have recently relocated to a snowy area so I'm new to this. Previous winters, a thin windbreaker was enough most days!

I don't have pictures of them in their seats yet, but I found a coat at Wal Mart this past weekend (for $5!) that's fleece and it seems perfect for DD.
0066046915401_300X300.jpg

DS has a coat like this:
36742_14C

from Hannah Anderson that he got at his baby shower (two years ago!!) that finally fits him. I hope it's enough for him! The hood is kind of awkward though, do you all like or dislike hoods for your car seat winter-wear? :)

It's only November (barely, but still) so it might get colder. Are we set? What do you use in the car?

ADS

kittykate

My boys have these coats, but they don't wear them under the harness. They take them off and drape them over themselves like a blanket after they are buckled.

melniemi

The big kids have Land's End marinacs, dd2 has an LLBean fleece snowsuit, baby has a Columbia fleece snowsuit - the 2 littles also have fleece coats, dd2's is from TCP, baby's is columbia.

Holly

My kids have these ones from Target. I got them a few weeks ago when they were on sale for $20. My ds has one he wore last year from Walmart (same kind of coat though).
The inner jacket is thin enough to wear in their car seats without having to loosen the straps for them to fit. They are warm enough to wear to and from the car as well. If they are going to be out of the car longer than just going to the house or inside a store, they put the outer jackets on overtop too.
The outer jackets can be worn alone in the car seats too, but I prefer they don't because the hood makes it akward.

christineka

My baby has a car seat poncho. (The one from ebay, so I could afford it.) The next older 3 have fleece ponchos that I made. The older two usually just wear sweatshirts and bring along the coat. We also have blankets in the van.

daniele_ut

My kids just don't wear their coats in the car. No one freezes in the time it takes to get in the car in the detached garage and we put coats on when we get where we are going. It is 25 degrees out right now and we have more than a foot of snow on the ground.

menfusse

We have the same Hanna Andersson coat for E in brown. E has issues with regulating her temp, so she has to have something she can keep on, especially in situations where we aren't able to warm up the car. The hood is kind of annoying and awkward. I hadn't thought about it. This is her first winter FF and I don't know if it's just because of that, or if it's awkward no matter what. A just takes her coat off, buckles then puts it over her arms.

Evolily

They wear whatever, their puffy coats just come off once they're in the car. They keep on their hats and gloves though. They have some extra warm sweatshirts and fleece jackets that they wear when it's cold that are car seat safe. When it gets in the 10's they'll probably be wearing about 4 layers. They key is layers :) .

monstah

My older two have Lands End Sport Squall coats. I got them on clearance last year so they are a little different than the coats I linked. The coats live on the floor of the car most of the winter and the kids wear fleece every day. (The inexpensive fleece from Target.) We run out to the car in fleece and they put the coats over them like blankets if it's really cold.

The baby has this down coat from REI (also last years clearance) but I underestimated her size so it's already almost too small. I'm not sure what I am going to replace it... I would LOVE a warm fleece snowsuit/bunting thing but with a removable hood. Do those exist??
I have a Hanna Andersson nordic fleece baby bunting in my cart but keep staring at it hoping the hood will disappear. :p

urchin_grey

We live in LA so big coats don't get used too often. I got him this hoodie this year from TCP. His current heavier winter coat is one of those basic toggle coats from Gap. I got it this past January on clearance. I think he wore it last year like 3 times. Luckily he doesn't outgrow stuff very fast though so he can wear it again this year (if it ever gets cold enough). This is his 6th winter though and only his 3rd winter coat. He's got about a million zip up hoodies though... I should probably take them all out and see which ones still fit. Its only been jacket weather here for a few days though.

Spam

A has a columbia fleece jacket to wear in car, and I just put his heavier coat over it if we're going to be outside. T has an Old Navy fleece bunting suit.

canadiangie

Mountain Equipment Coop (www.mec.ca) fleece ursus suits and ursus coats, depending on the day. Baby has a fleece suit from old navy, a fleece suit by absorba, and a fleece suit from Columbia. I also found fleece lined coats with a windproof outside layer at walmart, but I'm so used to fleece only that the outside layer gets on my nerves during buckling.

Baylor

I was thinking maybe a picture thread/discussion could be started this year for what our winter set up is. I have recently relocated to a snowy area so I'm new to this. Previous winters, a thin windbreaker was enough most days!

I don't have pictures of them in their seats yet, but I found a coat at Wal Mart this past weekend (for $5!) that's fleece and it seems perfect for DD.
0066046915401_300X300.jpg

DS has a coat like this:
36742_14C

from Hannah Anderson that he got at his baby shower (two years ago!!) that finally fits him. I hope it's enough for him! The hood is kind of awkward though, do you all like or dislike hoods for your car seat winter-wear? :)

It's only November (barely, but still) so it might get colder. Are we set? What do you use in the car?

Love that! I am going to look for them when I go over later.

My mom bought the boys down vests which is awesome! I put a long sleeve sweatshirt on them under it and they just pop them off easy for in the car and they can pop them back on before they get out!

zactayaus

My 12 yo is wearing a lined hoodie. She has a puffy coat from Justice for waiting for the school bus and playing in the snow.

My 7 yo is wearing the fleece lining to the coat I got him on clearance last year a TCP.

My 19 mo is wearing both of these:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kid...14/ZeroXposur+Spectator+Reversible+Jacket.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/baby/coats/PRD~689524/OSHKOSH+Colorblock+Jacket.jsp

I got them both on sale for like $14 each. They are both windbreaker type jackets lined with a layer of fleece. They both pass the car seat test and are super warm.

mommyof3tx

This is what they will hopefully be wearing. My DH found them at Costco today and bought them for my 2 older boys, he says they are very thin and thinks they will work nicely in the car seats...any chance anyone has experience with this brand?
photo56.jpg

Quick question though...does the jacket matter as much in a booster vs a harness? Obviously you want something that's not huge so the belt still fits right but is compression as much of an issue with the booster? Really hoping these jackets work for them...still looking for something for my youngest though

ETA they are def wearing them, they are perfect for the car seat! Very thin yet very warm and no way they could be compressed anymore, not puffy in the slightest. Go DH!

Last edited:

lenats31

mathias wears this:

DSC01470.jpg

DSC01471.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

It works like a swaddle, is made of fleece and he can remove the wings if he gets too warm in it

Lena

krasota

The Crown Vic heats up fast, so the most any of us wear in the car is a light sweater. If it's night and we're going to the store for a quick trip, DS might wear a sweater and a LE fleece.

This is my current favorite outerwear sweater: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8776&vid=1&pid=784642

With a hoodie or light sweater beneath, I'd say it's good to the high 40s.

We're obviously not in a frigid climate.

Jennee

last year was the first time dawson didnt wear a winter jacket in his carseat, he just wore a long sleeve shirt and either a zip up hooded sweat shirt or a fleece pull over with a zipper i always took his jacket with us to put on him if we were going to be outside the car very long. he never complained about being cold in the car, he often did say it was cold going from the car to a building but we were only out like a min and it was cold with or with out a jacket. i also did not wear a jacket in the car, i just cant drive with a jacket on i feel too restricted so i wore a sweater instead. we are and will be wearing the same things this winter.

amelia222

We have an ursus bunting suit form MEC and a big puffy coat from please mum that gets taken off and put over her fleece blanket for extra warmth. It worked pretty well last week when we had temps of -20C (-4F)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC