How Often Should I Stop?

Emi's Mommy

We will be going on a 5 hour road trip at Christmas and DD will be 3.5 months old. How often should we be stopping to take DD out of her car seat for a stretch and how long should that stretch be? She is nursed on demand and while she usually feeds every 2-3 hours during the day, she does STTN(and we are traveling at night) so it is theoretically possible for her to not want to eat the entire trip. A feed and diaper change takes anywhere between 15-20 minutes would that be long enough?

Should I just leave her be if she decides to sleep? Or should I maybe take her out halfway? She sleeps in the car but wakes up the second you turn the car off so the "never wake a sleeping baby" doesn't really apply.

ADS

TerisBoys

If she nurses on demand and sleeps through the night, I'd drive as long as she sleeps. Stop when the driver needs a break/car needs gas/baby wakes up.

Unless possible stops are few and far between along your route, I'd honestly play it by ear. I know *I* as a driver would need a stop to stretch midway anyway.

geekKT

We did a 26 hour road trip (split into a few days) when DS was about that age, but we traveled during the day. I'd take him out when we stopped for gas or whenever he wanted to nurse, which ended up being about every 2-2.5 hours. The short stops were 15-20 minutes; if we stopped for food it was a bit longer.

I'd just play it be ear and keep in mind that you might need to make a stop halfway.

Kat_Momof3

she's not a newborn anymore.. she's an infant.. and as long as she's comfy and sleeping well, I wouldn't pull over.

However, if you feel the need to empty your breasts, I would bring along a pump, empty bottles, and an ice pack.

obviously it's not like she sleeps every night in her carseat and you won't be driving even the whole night, so it's not something I'd be concerned about.

(oh, and if you do pump, you can freeze it when you get there and use it if you decide to have some wine and she needs to feed before it is out of your system... or for new years... same reason)

Emi's Mommy

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are two towns in between on our side of the border that I think we'll aim to stop at one or both of them just to ensure that all of us stay happy. I know for sure they'll be open Christmas Eve. The province we're headed to I'm not so sure if we'll have even a gas station that will be open.
I'd love to pump but I have a bottle refuser on my hands. Straight from the tap or not at all :p

Kat_Momof3

sounds like a plan! (too funny about refusing bottles... sorry... was just thinking of how I was when I was breastfeeding with a baby at that age and how full my breasts would feel if they slept that long... but hey, she's a smart and discerning nurser!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC