Help me think through this

Dorothy

DD will be 3 soon. She is still rfing in a MR in the main vehicle and a Scenera in the spare. She is nearing the 1" mark on her Scenera, though. FFing, she is two-thirds of the way between the second-to-top and top slots. I could put her in DS's Avenue rfing, but she is about 32 lbs. So, I am considering getting her a combo seat for the spare vehicle. She rarely rides on the road in this vehicle as it is the farm truck. It is an '00 Silverado extended cab (the one with the suicide door and small back bench). It does not currently have tether anchors, but I have the bulletin number to contact the local dealership. Hopefully it won't be an issue. But, in case it is, I was thinking of the GN since it does well untethered. Plus, with that long lifespan, DS can use it when DD is ready for a booster. But, if getting the tether anchor retrofitted is no problem, I was thinking Maestro. Am I missing anything? TIA

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Check the fit. 100% of the Nautilus base must be on the vehicle seat. Make sure to push back then down when installing. I have gotten it to fit once, but can't remember if it was the suicide door model.

Dorothy

I was reading through old threads before posting, and Mae said she got one to fit using the method you described. So, I'm hopeful. Truth be told, I'd like to try the Maestro if I can get a TA installed.

Mae

Yep, I got mine to fit. It didn't fit at first, but then I retried and got it. Did that thread still have the pictures in it? If not, I could probably find them.

Edit: Found the thread and the pictures are gone. If you'd like to see them, let me know. :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that even once retrofitted, it will still follow the wacky tether anchor set up. I'd have to check the LATCH manual, but yeah.

Dorothy

Yep, I got mine to fit. It didn't fit at first, but then I retried and got it. Did that thread still have the pictures in it? If not, I could probably find them.

Edit: Found the thread and the pictures are gone. If you'd like to see them, let me know. :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that even once retrofitted, it will still follow the wacky tether anchor set up. I'd have to check the LATCH manual, but yeah.

Pictures would be great. Thanks. A visual is always helpful. One question about tethering: Since there aren't TAs already, there aren't any of those loops to route the tether strap through. How will I route the tether strap sans loops? (There are two white, naked bolts under the seat center and on the passenger side that I had kind of assumed were for TAs. That doesn't mesh with the TA pictorial, though. The ffing seat will be center.)

Last edited:

Mae

Ok, here are the pictures. These first ones are when I just plopped the seat down and installed, without paying any attention to the GN base.

DSCI5433.jpg

DSCI5437.jpg

DSCI5434.jpg

This is what I was able to get if I shoved my knee into the car seat's seat bight and shoved it back towards the vehicle's seat bight, with the GN in the most upright position.

DSCI5438.jpg

DSCI5439.jpg

I know I installed it in the center, but the seat wasn't staying there, so I have no clue if it was completely on the seat or not.

As far as the fabric loops ... that is a very good question! The LATCH manual doesn't state anything about it.

However, regarding getting the tether anchors retrofitted, it doesn't list the kit number because "GM part numbers for retrofit kits change frequently. GM dealerships have an up to date list for part numbers."

It also says that "GM will provide and install free of charge one Child Restraint Top Tether Hardware Package for anchoring in most '89 - '02 vehicles. The free installation must be for a forward facing CR in one rear-seat seating position. See Service Bulletin, page 328."

Dorothy

Thank you. The visual is definitely helpful. And I am happy to see that there wasn't a ton of overhang in the first set of pics. My Scenera had more overhang (after I put my knee in it, even) the other day when I was just playing around. I think I might try to go by TRU next time I'm near one to play with a GN. I have some time to figure it out, though. Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC