New poll, do you count things not under the harness when calculating weight limit?....

Do you count them?

• No, they aren't under the harness they don't count.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Yes, they all count

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, I count them, but honestly, unless we're talking about a 44.5# 11mo in a RNXTSL or a 84.5# 2.5yo in a Frontier85, I consider the seat outgrown when I have to stop and calculate exactly what the child ate for breakfast and dressed herself in that morning.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
If I were that concerned about it, I would only count things actually attached to the child - boots, backwards coat, or poncho. Not a blanket, as that would likely fly off in a crash. The harness would still be holding the weight of the child's boots, poncho, etc.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If I were that concerned about it, I would only count things actually attached to the child - boots, backwards coat, or poncho. Not a blanket, as that would likely fly off in a crash. The harness would still be holding the weight of the child's boots, poncho, etc.

My thoughts exactly. If it's attached to the child, it counts. If it's not attached to the child, it doesn't count.

karlatta

What they said. In theory, I would count things attached to the child. In reality, though, I have never come even within 5 pounds of the limits with my kids in their seats, so it's never been something I had to consider for my own personal use.

BrendansMommy

I agree. Blankets, coats, etc. aren't enough to really matter. However, I do use this argument to all of the women I see that proudly tell me that they breastfeed their babies while still in the seats (expecting congrats from me that they didn't take baby out of the seat to nurse). I explain that in a wreck, they are putting 80-90 or more pounds of stress on a seat that is only designed to take 22 or 30 pounds or whatever (I'm aqssuming that the whole weight of the mother's body isn't supported by the seat, but if she's leaning across it to nurse, there is a significant portion).

FTR--I'm not anti-nursing. I'm still nursing my almost 20 month old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC