WWYD? (booster question)

amy&girls

So my 7ry old is around 65lbs. She's heavy. Her new complaint is the fact that when riding in the car in her HBB, if we go around a turn, the whole thing leans while turning. Would you go backless at this point? She rides in a backless booster in my husband's car on the rare occasion she is riding with him... So I know she fits fine in a backless. I don't know, would you move to a backless at this point? Or is there some way to keep the seat from leaning (without locking the seatbelt)

ADS

firemomof3

My first thought is to get her a Monterey and keep her in a highback booster. But, how tall is she? What highback booster is she in now?

amy&girls

She's almost 53 inches tall, and is in a Turbo-booster. (most days, some days she rides in an Evenflo big kid booster)

Kat_Momof3

even without locking the seatbelt, it shouldn't tip like that... what vehicle do you have? it may simply be that you need a different booster in order to avoid tipping.

also, how much is it leaning?

amy&girls

I don't think its the booster, her sister rides in one just like it, and it doesn't tip. I drive a Kia Sedona, and her booster is in the same position its always been, the 3rd row on the drivers side. her sister is in the same booster in the same row on the passenger side. And it leans a lot, like its leaning with her weight. That's why I was pondering backless.

Kat_Momof3

the weight can be part of it, but usually it's also a fit of the booster to the vehicle (we had that problem in our dodge third row with some boosters... but not others)... though I know when I had one as a rental, the sedona back seat is flatter than ours... so I had no problem with turbos on the benches.

since it's in the third row, not sure how long a taller highback would last back there...

could she be moved to the second row?...

otherwise, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to let her go backless and put her highback in for long trips where she might sleep.

but about locking the belt... can she do it herself and then unbuckle and not have it refuse to release to rebuckle?

amy&girls

The problem with locking the seat belt though is that every time you lock it, to unlock it you have to take it out of the booster seat and let it retract all the way and then start over. (unless there is some secret I'm missing there. :)) I don't even know if the turbo can go any higher. I think it might have one setting left of height anyway. I'd love her to move to the second row, but I have to leave her in the 3rd row b/c in the 2nd row I have a nautilus and a EFTA (rear-facing) and once or twice a week I transport a 5th kid and have to put a scenera between the two boosters in the back and the nauti/scenera/turbo or EFTA/scenera/turbo doesn't work in the 3rd row... It could work, sure, but I am 20 weeks pregnant and don't feel like moving the seats around once or twice a week. :( Come April I'm going to have to have in the 3rd row anyway a rear-facing scenera (if my 2 1/2 year old will still fit rear-facing) and the boosters so I can move the EFTA to the basement (temporarily while using the safeseat)

Kat_Momof3

I wondered about that, too... my oldest was the height your daughter is when he was 6.5 and he outgrew the Regent AND the turbobooster then.

what I would probably consider doing is, since you are putting the efta in the basement anyway, is investing in a SK radian... put that, the scenera, and the other booster in the third row, and put your 7yr old in a taller highback booster (SK Monterey, Britax Parkway SG, Recaro Probooster) in the 2nd row with the baby.

in fact, with a radian, if the monterey fits in the third row, you MIGHT be able to pull off Monterey, ff radian, rf scenera, and have the younger booster rider up next to the new baby depending on how you want to do it.

However, budget might not allow that or it might not be doable in other ways (since I don't know if the child currently in the nautilus would be able to buckle themselves)... and if not, then I think you've done the best you can and if you need to, a backless booster isn't the worst thing on earth.

I'd recommend the cosco backless or harmony backless boosters (literider or cruz) simply because they are good for 3-across.

emandbri

Since you can pass it down a monterey would be a good investment. It is a hefty seat, my son's doesn't tip at all. She is probably close to getting too tall for the turbo anyway. My second son fit in the monterey high back until he was 10.

AtTheSouthDam

I second the Monterey. My 7 year old has very similar stats, 52" and 67#. She rides out board, passenger side on the third row bench of my Freestar. There is no LATCH in that seat position. The seat doesn't tip enough to bother her. (She is telling me it tips now because she wants a Parkway :rolleyes:)
Also, at her size does she still fit in the TB with the back on? DD1 outgrew the back on her TB a year ago, her shoulders were over the belt guide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC