What do ya think about this

Spam

I bought the T-tario32 and was expecting an older dom since it was replaced with the 35 version. But, all the stickers on the seat, base, and registration card came with a June 2010 date. However, the molded date on the seat says do not use after Dec 2014. I emailed them about it, and then sent pics. Well, they had me send the seat back to them and they sent out a new one. New one arrived today and it has the same exact thing. July 2010 date on everything, do not use after 2014. So they're just putting new labels on old seats and hoping no one actually looks at the date on the bottom??

tario0006.jpg
tario0004.jpg
tario0001_1.jpg
tario0001.jpg
tario0003.jpg

ADS

Baylor

Wow that is weird. I have no advice.. I wonder about this though.. If it is an unused seat.. I am not sure I would be worried about using it the 2 extra years. If it is in the warehouse.. I just am not sure I would be worried about plastic degradation...

I also wonder if it is just a misprint on the plastic of the seat? Or if it has a 4 yr exp?

Baylor

I just am not sure that brand new it would have that much affect especially under controlled condtitions.. I really think that car seats get most of the brunt of the plastic issues from being in cars being heated so high and cooled so low over time.. Not from sitting in a ventilated garage or warehouse or attic.

ETA: Just my thoughts and feelings..nothing more..

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think that could be a very dangerous assumption to make.

OP, I don't like that. It could very easily be a mistake with the date stamp, but I would not feel confident. Can you ask Graco if they will exchange it for a Snugride and you can dress it in a Teutonia cover?

Spam

I plan to call again on Monday, they are out of the office until then. I think it's strange that they wanted the first seat back to inspect it, but sent out a seat with the same issue. I wonder how many are out there and for someone who doesn't know to check the bottom of the seat and just assumes they have six years from dom are going to use the seat two years after it expires.

AnnaC

Gosh that would scare me. I hope it was an honest mistake and not the company trying to scam people to save themselves money!!! :thumbsdown:

And as far as assuming that it would be ok for 2 years after the expiration date because it hasn't been sitting in a hot car for the first 2 years- just like everything else, I wouldn't want my child to be the crash test dummy. :(

Baylor

I plan to call again on Monday, they are out of the office until then. I think it's strange that they wanted the first seat back to inspect it, but sent out a seat with the same issue. I wonder how many are out there and for someone who doesn't know to check the bottom of the seat and just assumes they have six years from dom are going to use the seat two years after it expires.

That is what bothers me too. That someone not as savvy would not notice it. I am glad you are checking up on them!

Keeanh

Look just under the expiry date stamp on the bottom of the seat. Actually, look all over the seat, LOL. See if you can see the little dial that shows DOM. If it's there (it's on my SR22), it will have the year in the middle of the dial and an arrow to the month.

ETA: Also look on the harness. There should be a little white tag with a DOM for the harness. The harness should only be a few months older than the seat at the most, so that could be a clue as well.

Spam

Look just under the expiry date stamp on the bottom of the seat. Actually, look all over the seat, LOL. See if you can see the little dial that shows DOM. If it's there (it's on my SR22), it will have the year in the middle of the dial and an arrow to the month.

ETA: Also look on the harness. There should be a little white tag with a DOM for the harness. The harness should only be a few months older than the seat at the most, so that could be a clue as well.

Looked over it and can't find the dial date, looked on my ss1 also and couldn't find it there. The dial on the back of the buckle is 10/08. The white tag doesn't have a date. The date by the serial number is 120208.

Keeanh

Looked over it and can't find the dial date, looked on my ss1 also and couldn't find it there. The dial on the back of the buckle is 10/08. The white tag doesn't have a date. The date by the serial number is 120208.

So that all adds up to it being the end of '08, making the expiry date correct. So next questions would be, why the new stickers, and is it a mistake or on purpose? Oh, and next question, what should be done? Is this something that should be reported?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
What does the instruction manual say regarding expiration? On pg 9 of my SS1 manual (in the Warning section) it states:

- STOP USING INFANT RESTRAINT AND BASE AND THROW IT AWAY after the date molded into the back of the infant restraint. "DO NOT use this car seat after December (Year)"

If your manual states the same then your seat has a 4-year lifespan which officially makes it the least-usable infant seat on the market. It's possible that the year stamp was set incorrectly but in this case it seems much more likely that the seat was actually made in 2008 and just recently labeled (or re-labeled).

Amaris

Just a thought, but how long after you sent them the original seat did you receive the replacement? Just wondering if it's possible that you were sent the same seat again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just wanted to chime in that I'd not be comfortable using a seat past the expiration just because it was in a warehouse the whole time either but also add that in my state and many others (any with a proper use clause) it would be ILLEGAL to do so...

zeo2ski

Just a thought, but how long after you sent them the original seat did you receive the replacement? Just wondering if it's possible that you were sent the same seat again.

The first seat was June, second is July.

Spam

What does the instruction manual say regarding expiration? On pg 9 of my SS1 manual (in the Warning section) it states:

- STOP USING INFANT RESTRAINT AND BASE AND THROW IT AWAY after the date molded into the back of the infant restraint. "DO NOT use this car seat after December (Year)"

If your manual states the same then your seat has a 4-year lifespan which officially makes it the least-usable infant seat on the market. It's possible that the year stamp was set incorrectly but in this case it seems much more likely that the seat was actually made in 2008 and just recently labeled (or re-labeled).

Manual states the same.

The first seat was picked up 11/15 and the second recieved 11/26. The doms were different, but both this year. I don't think it's the same seat, they told me to keep the cover set from the first seat and they'd send a naked seat and base, but the second seat came fully clothed too.

I emailed the same person I had been emailing, but haven't recieved a response. I'd call, but I get all flustered on the phone and can't talk :eek:

Baylor

I just can not believe that they did not make sure they sent you a newer DOM seat. It is crazy...

I can not wait to see how this resolves.. IS there someone else you can report this too to get some national attention? I mean people would be getting shorted 2 full years buying this seat...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC