is this safe?

turtlemama

My cousin has a big 3 year old. He turns 4 in June. Right now he weighs 52 lbs and is 43 inches tall (to the best of my recollection)
She has him in a cosco HBB using the seatbelt. Is it ok for him to be boostered given how much he weighs? What other factors would play into him not being able to ride in a booster? She says he sits properly. I'm trying to convince her to find a high weight harness seat for him since he is so young, but I dont know if it would be worth it since he is so big. He is the size of an average 5 year old.

ADS

Baylor

If he was my child he would not be boostered.. Even if he weighs that much. My son is 42 lbs and 40 inches tall but only 2.5 yr old. I would not think of boostering him. That is him in my siggy picture..

I have my kids in the Nautilus and love it. My 6.5 yr old is 52 lbs and can harness in that seat until 65lbs. I think that is too young.. Maybe others won't. but no way if it is my child.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Boostering him is far from ideal, but it is less unsafe than being harnessed 12# over the harness limit. In other words, if she's not willing or able to get a new seat, then she's doing the best she can with what she has. I would recommend getting a higher-weight harnessing seat (or at least a better booster), though.

turtlemama

Well so far I have recommended the Nautilus, Apex 65, and the Frontier 85, but those are the only ones I can think of that harness higher weights. She really cant afford either of them right now. I really dont know what he would be in now if I hadn't given her the Cosco. She says she thinks hes fine in what hes in now, but I didnt know if he really was since I thought it was a skeletal thing and not so much weight or height. She is probably tired of me bugging her though since I'm always on her case about it.

my2kidsSafe

He sounds just like my ds who will be 4 in january. My ds weighs 52 lbs also but he is around 45 inches i believe. He is a monster. I would no way booster my ds. Right now we have him in the regent or MA depending on what car he is in. He doesn't have much room left in the MA though so i wouldn't do that. I know for my ds there is no way he would sit in a booster properly and he is 6 months older than your cousins boy.

sunnymw

If anything I'd see about getting a HB Turbo or something... the Cosco HBBs don't usually have a great fit in booster mode--IIRC the lap belt sits too high.

turtlemama

I told her to go get a turbo booster a while ago, she still hasnt.

I talked to her last night to tell her that they had Britax at Bed Bath and Beyond. She started going on about this thing called a Mint? It cleans floors by itself so you dont have to. They are going to go get that after putting all hardwood floors in the house instead of buying a suitable carseat. :thumbsdown:
she did say she would look at the Britax seats though, but I really think she has no intention of getting him a new seat.

You've done the best you can. You've planted the bug in her ear to get him a better suited car seat. At this point, if you keep bugging her you're going to lose your friendship. Is it worth it or not?

Just wait for her to finally decide it's proper to get anew seat & then help her shop.

I'm w/ Chickabiddy, at least he's in something which is better than nothing.

turtlemama

I was thinking of sending her the Nautilus that is in DH's car. It's for my 5 year old, but she only uses it to go to school and back, I can just have him take my car to do that. I just have to wait until I get the money to send it. It costs $76 to send a Flex Loc through UPS (I sent that to her about a month ago for her newborn), so I can only imagine how much it would be for a seat like the Nautilus.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I was thinking of sending her the Nautilus that is in DH's car. It's for my 5 year old, but she only uses it to go to school and back, I can just have him take my car to do that. I just have to wait until I get the money to send it. It costs $76 to send a Flex Loc through UPS (I sent that to her about a month ago for her newborn), so I can only imagine how much it would be for a seat like the Nautilus.
Try the Post Office... I had a Radian shipped to me for like $20!, an Evenflo Symphony for less than $17!

christineka

It is not your responsibility to keep this child safe. It is his parents' responsibility. This person does have the money, but has other priorities. If she wanted to buy her ds a more appropriate seat, she could do so. She doesn't want to. It would be different if she was broke and struggling to put food on the table. If she's putting in new floors and buying fancy appliances, she has the money. If you are giving away car seats, I'd give to someone who actually wanted their child to ride safely, but couldn't afford it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC