Torn.....harness or booster?

BabyKaykes

DS needs another seat so I can give my mother her TB back. He is 5yrs 1mth and back down to 40lb-even. There's been this ever-continuing spiral of 'gain 5lb, grow 2", lose 5lb' for at least a year now.

He is happily harnessed. I like him harnessed. I am constantly glancing back at him when he's in a booster. He sits correctly most of the time in a booster (he's a car sleeper and has serious head flop when boostered).

What do you buy for a 40lb 5yo, with not even a 14" torso?

The race right now is between a ProBooster and a ProSport.

ADS

Baylor

A nautilus. He can stay harnessed til 65lbs as long as height is okay! my sons love theirs. Great cup holders and cubbies for stuff. It is a great sturdy seat. It will booster them until 100 lbs.

NVMBR02

I'd probably get the Maestro for now. Then wait to see what the booster market looks like in 1-2 years. :twocents:

babyherder

Get a harness. DS doesn't mind and you won't be constantly checking on him. You driving distracted isn't safe for anyone.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'd do a harness too. The Maestro is a really nice seat, and cheaper than a lot of boosters.

Keeanh

Harness.

I was fighting myself for a long time because I did not want a "huge" Frontier (finally saw one in the store and it's not as HUGE as I thought it would be :p), but I've pretty much accepted the fact that I want/need one for my 6yo (16.5" torso, 50lbs) unless a Maestro 65 magically appears in the next few months or he magically starts sleeping upright in his booster. You're fortunate he's so small!

Splash

ProSport. You get exactly what you want forever. Awesome harness seat, awesome booster, no weird niggling mommy fears.

BabyKaykes

My problem with the Maestro is that it's a Maestro and I have a 'thing' about Evenflo seats. I will say I think it's the best seat they've released in a long time, however, giant FAIL in booster mode. I don't want to buy a new seat in 1-2yrs.

I'm already in the middle of selling a Nautilus. It fits him terribly in booster mode - surprising since the TB fits him so well.

This is why I'm deciding between the ProSport and the ProBooster.

Price is not an issue.

NVMBR02

Between the Prosport and the Probooster I'd get the Prosport.

How tall does it adjust as a booster though? I thought it didn't get very tall, if that is the case you may end up buying another booster in a few years anyway (I thought the Probooster was taller, but I haven't looked at either seat in months)

Splash

It is not very tall, certainly not the last booster you'll need, but definitely tall enough to get a kid to a backless.

BabyKaykes

DS is 5yo and fits RF in the Scenera by height...I'm not worried about him needing a super tall booster. i knew it wasn't tall though. About the same as the TB, right?

Kat_Momof3

with headflop in a turbobooster, I wouldn't get a nautilus.

I'd likely get the maestro as it is both inexpensive and usually provides better head support for head floppers.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why is the Maestro a booster fail? Just because it's not that tall? It fits safely as a booster, and I'd think you can get get 2-3 years out of it. Or if your Nautilus isn't sold yet, keep it and it probably will fit fine as a booster when he's tall enough to be out of the harness (I think that's what most people find? crummy booster fit on way more kids who still fit in the harness, but generally great fit on much larger kids...?)

Kat_Momof3

oops.. now see you have ruled out the maestro... I'd get the recaro prosport, then, since budget is not an issue... or britax frontier

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC