Ok, so I wasn't really a believer...

pepsicola

Ok so I know that everyone says as a rebuttal to "my kids look uncomfortable rear facing" that most kids are actually more comfortable that way. I guess I didn't fully believe that until now. 

My 2 year old has been riding in my husband's car in her Maestro for the past couple days. She is typically a car sleeper since we are often in the car around nap time.  The past couple days she has has a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. Even last night when it was way past her bedtime, she didn't fall asleep on the way home. 

Today she goes out in my car in her rear facing Ra50, throws a blanket over her head to get the sun out of her eyes, and sleeps for well over an hour. Heck I even sat in the car with her after we got home for fear of waking her (since she fights sleep so much)! 

At this rate I am hoping she takes awhile to outgrow her rear facing seats mostly because she seems so much happier rear facing. The extra safety is just a bonus!

I just had to share that with you guys. :)

ADS

turtlemama

I just had a discussion, sort of, with a lady on my facebook about how comfortable they really are RF. She says we can never know because they cant tell us. Some kids who RF up to 3 years old can and do say they are more comfortable, so I just didnt get her reasoning.

Chely7425

Saying that we can't know because they can't tell us definitely makes no sense... my 2.5 year old is RF in a Radian but has flip flopped back and forth the past few months based on which car he is in and he was RF for a month after the baby was born because I couldn't lift him into the car and he could climb in himself with the seat FF. Anyway, he never sleeps if he is FF and definitely does RF... not to mention when I flipped his seat back around and he went in for the first time he told me "mommy tevors laxing now" aka... Trevor's relaxing now :)

amylynne01

My older DD who is nearly 3 much prefers rear-facing because it's more comfortable to her. When she's FFing, she sits with her legs criss-cross applesauce and tells me she's looking backwards. I prefer her rear-facing because she sleeps in the car and isn't able to narrate about everything she sees out the front window lol.

If a kiddo was uncomfortable and unable to verbalize that, you can bet they would fuss or cry or whine in the car, so you would know something is up.

nevaehsmommy

Nevaeh cried when I told her I had to turn her FFing for good. She siad it hurts her legs to let them hang and "they go night night"

mommy-medic

Syd is almost 4- and absolutely prefers RFing. She is FFing in a Nauti in the nanny's car, and RFing in a radian in mine. I have had her in a Nauti in my car, as well as FF'd the radian for a few days because of other passenger constraints- she always asks to ride backwards again (and is)!

pepsicola

My daughter is 2 years and has a great vocabulay. She's a chatterbox. She would definitely tell me if she didn't like being backwards. She would talk about her legs hurting or say that she wanted to see Mommy or something similar.

I wanted to add that she isn't a regular napper. She sometimes goes almost a week without a daytime nap. She obviously needs it but she just fights and fights it. That's how I know that rear facing must be realllly comfy for her. Plus I can give her a sippy cup and toys and she puts them all on her lap and dosent drop them like when she is forward facing.

AtTheSouthDam

It can't be uncomfortable. DD2 is now flipping depending on the view. She is RF in DH's car because she can see out the window. She'd RF in the van if she could sit in the back row but it is a pain to load and buckle her :( Besides, she is in love with her FFing seat. If that RF I'm sure we'd be set.

autumnlily

My girls have been flip flopping between seats (FF & RF) this past 1.5 weeks and they keep dropping their blankets & toys when they are FF. They are not used to things slipping off their lap. Also, their legs do not bend over the seats when FF... so they stick straight out. They haven't learned how to tuck them in or criss cross applesauce.

I have to admit - Grace never sleeps in the car RF but she has fallen asleep FF these past two trips. :confused:

NannyMom

Sofi prefers FF :( But, she was RF until 4 days before her 4th birthday, and that was only for 1 ride. She did nap more when she was RF.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Sofi prefers FF :( But, she was RF until 4 days before her 4th birthday, and that was only for 1 ride. She did nap more when she was RF.

Gambit prefers FF too, but he'll sleep no matter which way he's facing. I think RF looks more comfortable!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC