HBB Recs for a BIG kid

Raegansmom4

My dd is 5 (in a Regent); she is currently, as her 5 yo checkup: 45 inches tall and 59.6 lbs :eek:. She has been doing fabulously with booster training (in a TB), and I think I will booster her full time (maybe, possibly) late spring (around May). What is the tallest HBB (besides the Frontier 85 - I'm not investing in another HWH seat)? What fits big, solid kids best? I was thinking either the Monterey or PW SG (or new SGL)? Thoughts??

ADS

icnee

The Montere fit my big guy well when i got it 2y aggo and still fits him well at 104 and 4' 11" even though he passes the 5 step test he still likes to ride in it.
I think his legs look squished but he hasnt complaind.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I think the Monterey, the Parkway, the Cosco Pronto (needs head support though) and the Oobr are the 4 tallest currently on the market? (Not in that order.)

Jan06twinmom

We have the Monterey for my DS. He's about 48in tall and weighs 65lbs. It definitely fits him well and I'm glad we went with this seat. I did try him out in the Parkway SG and he looked too squished.

Melanie

munchkin

Mya is 5.5 y/o, 55 pounds and I think a little taller than your DD. She fits fabulously in the Monterey, with plenty of room to grow up and out. So far it has been my favorite booster for her.

Angela

I agree with all the PP. We just played with a bunch for my DS, who is on the bigger side. :) He fit very well in the Monterey and also the probooster. The bonus with the Monterey though is that it can be turned into a no back booster once the back is outgrown, whereas the probooster can't. DS like both and both fit him well.

AtTheSouthDam

Mine large girl rides in the Monterey as well, it seemed to be the best option when she turned six, at the time she was 49" and 57#? It's been a while. She is 52" and 67# now at barely 7 and still fits in pretty well. I am hoping she'll make it to 9 years, or at least sprout legs. Otherwise she won't be able to ride in the Civic much longer :(

Which is more of a concern? Weight or torso height? If it is weight and width I would definitely go with Monterey. However if it torso height (my girl is getting close to outgrowing the monterey by height already) then I would consider a Oobr as it is actually taller, IIRC. I think there may be another model that goes taller as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC