Small bus travel with a kindergarten group?

LittlePeanut

Would you send your child (almost 5 y/o) on a special occasion bus? The bus has lap-shoulder belts in every position and they appear to be height adjustable. DS is FF in a 5 pt harness (RN XT) but they will not allow me to install it on the bus :thumbsdown:

I have the time and ability to drive him myself. I can leave DS2 at home and accompany the group to the library (it's a 4km - 6 min drive away).

WWYD? Do I need to let go or is this as unsafe as I think? This is a smaller bus (seats approx 20-24?) with high seat backs and large windows. I know the stats for regular school buses is different but I don't think it applies to smaller buses like this one. It looks like this one but has much larger windows.

Bus%20Small.jpg

TIA

ADS

Pixels

If your son is not used to riding in a booster and they won't let you install his harnessed seat, then no I wouldn't let him go. On a bus with a bunch of other kids is not the way to begin booster training.

If he's booster trained and you trust him to sit properly in the booster under those circumstances, then yes. I can't see how riding in a booster and lap-shoulder belt on the bus would be any more dangerous than doing so in a passenger vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Of note, depending on how adjustible they are, he might not even need a booster-- many of those belts are sized to fit average-to-large kindergarteners just fine.

But if he doesn't know how to properly sit in a belt and/or booster at all, I agree that it's not good for that to be the first time. At 5, I can't even say most kids are ready to learn that-- it depends a lot on the individual kid at that age (is he a young 5? An older 5? In my experience many kids are ready for booster training more toward 5 1/2 to 6 than right after the 5th birthday...)

Pixels

Of note, depending on how adjustible they are, he might not even need a booster-- many of those belts are sized to fit average-to-large kindergarteners just fine.

That will take care of the shoulder portion but not the lap portion. Then there's the legal aspect of not using a booster, as well. Some states have exemptions for this type of vehicle, but some don't.

ETA: Just noticed that the child is question is 4 years old. That makes me lean towards driving him myself, since even a booster-trained 4yo isn't likely to do well in such a distracting situation.

LittlePeanut

DS1 is also only 39 lbs and in Canada he cannot legally ride in a booster anyhow. Not that I want him to yet ;) Oh and the teacher never implied boosters would be permited on the bus either :( I just worry about all those other kiddos too, yk? With the exception of a couple others, most are already in boosters.

babyherder

If you point out to the teacher that is illegal for him to ride in less than his car seat will she change her mind about having it on the bus? Will they buckle the other children?

LittlePeanut

I doubt she will. She has pretty much said, if I am not comfortable with him travelling without his car seat that I will have to transport him myself :( I have not yet brooched the illegal aspect of this with her. I am currently getting clarification on the seat belt laws in our jurisdiction with my CRST instructor. Unfortunately, this *may* be legal to transport these children without their car seats.

Evolily

If you point out to the teacher that is illegal for him to ride in less than his car seat will she change her mind about having it on the bus? Will they buckle the other children?

It is unlikely that it is illegal for him to ride without a seat on a bus.

I know nothing about a 'special occasion' bus, so I can't really comment, aside from saying that in general buses are very safe.

LittlePeanut

I agree that for normal buses they are but this is more like a special-needs accessible bus without the wheelchair type modifications. Here is a pic of the exact type of belt and seat we are dealing with (only ours is 2x2 instead of 3 per bench like this shows).

school+bus+seat+belt.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm, those lap belts do look high. (I've seen ones with nice low lap belts. Really not an issue for many kids. But these ones don't look as well-designed.)

I'd drive him. It sounds like you're not going to win on the restraint issue, unless you can prove it's illegal.

luvsviola

I'd just drive him myself. I would also feel more comfortable chaperoning the trip, as I am a teacher and have seen many trips where the parents/group leaders don't really do much and the kids run wild.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC