Recline bar required for Husky/Regent LATCH install??

rubelin

We just got our replacement Regent (the old one was used in the crash that totalled my '98 Odyssey) and I am trying to install it in my new '05 Odyssey (Captain's seat) using LATCH. It is VERY loose and I'm trying to figure out how to get it tighter. I've always used the long path seatbelt install for our Husky/Regent (didn't have LATCH in our old cars) so I'm not sure if I'm just being critical or if something is wrong.

The manual says to put in the recline bar before clicking in the LATCH connectors, but I don't want to use the recline bar. Is the bar required for LATCH installations??

I used the LATCH install on our extra Generations seat that we've been using so I thought would be super easy with the Regent but I'm really not liking it at all. DS is only about 35 lbs and it would be nice to be able to move his seat forward to let other passengers into the back (in the Odysseys the seatbelt is attached to the wall, so a seatbelt install would require the seat to remain stationary and DS1's Husky is already using the seatbelt 'cause he's over 70 lbs) but if the LATCH is going to be so loose, I guess I'll have to go back to a seatbelt install.

Any ideas for getting this installation tighter??

Thanx!

ADS

MsFacetious

I could not get a tight install in my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with LATCH without using the recline bar. It just didn't work. I get a rock solid install with the recline bar and LATCH.

I do not believe the recline bar is required if you are using the tether. However, it may be required to get an acceptable install.

Amaris

You only have to use the recline bar if you are not using the tether. You can use it if you would like though. I haven't tried installing the regent with latch since Michael was over the 40lb limit (we have an odyssey too) when we got the regent. I do have a rock solid install using the long belt path though (and of course the tether).

Jordynsmama

I think the recline bar is helpful for the kids being more comfortable, especially with sleeping. My dd's seat has a slant that really works out great, plus I am pretty sure it helped with our install, and its easy to use.

rubelin

I went back and tried it with the recline bar and it is tight enough now but I really hate having the seat sticking out so far in front of the vehicle seat, especially since that puts the Regent several inches in front of our Husky so the boys wouldn't be able to see each other easily. I will test it tomorrow but I'll probably take it out and re-install it with the seatbelt, like I had it before. LATCH would be nice but I think I prefer the seatbelt installation.

Jordynsmama, I've never used the recline bar for either DS1's Husky (which we've had for 4 years now) or DS2's Regent (had for a year). DS1 never minded not having very much recline for the first year we had his Husky in our Saturn sedan, and now the seats been installed in Captain's chairs for the last 3 yrs which allow them to recline without the bar. I have our Husky currently installed with the seatbelt and no recline bar and it's just as reclined as the Regent that I just put in using LATCH with the recline bar. The difference is that the Husky is flush with the vehicle seat's back and bottom, where the Regent sticks out several inches in the front. I know it's just as secure but I like it when my carseats are "one" with the vehicle seats ;)

MsFacetious

The Regent shouldn't stick out, mine does not when installed with LATCH and the recline bar. I stand in front of it pushing the front of the seat where the adjuster is with my knees and tighten it some. Then I carefully get into the seat making sure I'm pushing it back against the vehicle seat, and tighten it that way.

You should be able to get it pretty much the same as without the recline bar.

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPGP|Rup6lQQ|/of=50,590,442

rubelin

Chelsae, in your picture the bottom of the Regent is sticking out several inches at the front of the vehicle's seat bottom. That is what I mean by sticking out.

When I install without the recline bar, the bottom of the seat is in contact with the vehicle seat all down the back and underneath, with no space at the "bend" of the seat, and there is about an inch of vehicle seat visible at the front of the car seat base. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show what I mean.

Jordynsmama

My seat does stick significantly out from the seat- I guess I'm not too worried about it, but I see what you mean, and it definitely from using the recline bar, but I have to use it cuz my belt wont stretch out enough for the long belt path and we don't have latch.
Here is a pic of how it sticks out too-
Regent001.jpg

Anyway hopefully the recline bar would keep it from moving back into the seat and the top tether will keep it back...b/c it really does look a little weird.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC