Need decision soon, please help!

ifkt355

Sorry for the redundancy for those of you who have replied and helped me in my other threads. I need to make a decision very SOON, and I am still very indesicive at this point, so please help and post a vote what you think would be the best for my situation.

I am shopping for my 3 year old who weights 34lbs (70 percentile)and 37(15 percentile) inches tall. His marathon has been passed down to his 5 months old brother. I have a Honda Pilot SUV(8 passenger seats). It is down to between Regent or Radian. I bought a Radian65 and was going to return it due to the difficulty and installation problem- there's front-to-back movement if I pull the edge of the bass forward, side-to-side is solid. But as I was about to send it off, I gave a last try and had a tech checked on it, and she said it was a very good installation. She told me to ONLY grab the seat at the belt path to check the tightness, and not to pull at the bass - in that case, it was a quite tight. In fact, I am getting better at it now, it doesn't take too long and my fingers didn't hurt much now.

Advantages for radian are: 1. about $140 cheaper. 2. I can actually fit comfortably in between Radian and MA. With the Radian in the center with MA on the driver side ourboard, I am able to fold down the passenger side outboard seat to allow third row access, which will be convinient when my parents come. 3. I already have the seat. No returns, save some hassle. 4. I could use it on an airplane although we really don't travel very much and the seat is so heavy to even carry it onto the plane.

Disadvantages: 1. Narrow seat, so I am not sure if it will be too snugged for my son in a couple of years. I looked up the growth charts for boys, and if my son is consistent with his growth pattern, he could ride in Radian until he is 9. Anyone with older kids are still able to fit in Radian comfortably? 2. Might need to buy another seat once my son outgrows it, not sure. 3. It is harder to install, although I seem to start to get a hang of it. I haven't tried on any other cars yet, might be a problem.

Advantages for regent are: 1. higher weight and height limit, will last longer. Probably don't need to buy another seat afterwards. 2. I like the side pocket that my son can put his toys in rather than throwing them on the floor. 3. Very spacious and comfortable. 4. Easier installation. Britax has good CS and reputation, and my MA is very easy to install.

Disadvantages: 1. More expensive and I have to wait another 2-3 weeks or more to get the color of the seat I want. 2. Very big, so no third row access. I was able to fit in the center seat with Regent and MA RF both on the outboard, but not sure about if I could still fit with both of them FF. And for sure, I can't fold down the passenger side seat.

I don't travel very much, once to twice a year on the airplane, and we don't move carseats very often.

Please help me decide!! Thank you so much!

ADS

sugarwoman

I drive a Honda Odyssey and have a radian drivers side outboard for my 3 yr old son. He is almost 4 and weighs 36 pounds and is 39 inches. He fits on the second to top shoulder slot. I have it installed right now with LATCH, but have installed it with the shoulder/lap belt with a nice, tight fit.

I had my 6 yr old daughter try his seat out the other day. She can still fit in it. She is 51 pounds and 47 inches. She is about an inch to a half inch below the top slot. She fit in it fine and told me it was comfy. I've heard the the SK radian has been tested to be safe with the shoulders up to and inch above the top slot.

So, for us, it works great. I got it because I couldn't handle the size of the Regent. It would make our seating arrangement difficult, especially because I want easy access to the third row seats.

ifkt355

I drive a Honda Odyssey and have a radian drivers side outboard for my 3 yr old son. He is almost 4 and weighs 36 pounds and is 39 inches. He fits on the second to top shoulder slot. I have it installed right now with LATCH, but have installed it with the shoulder/lap belt with a nice, tight fit.

I had my 6 yr old daughter try his seat out the other day. She can still fit in it. She is 51 pounds and 47 inches. She is about an inch to a half inch below the top slot. She fit in it fine and told me it was comfy. I've heard the the SK radian has been tested to be safe with the shoulders up to and inch above the top slot.

So, for us, it works great. I got it because I couldn't handle the size of the Regent. It would make our seating arrangement difficult, especially because I want easy access to the third row seats.

Thanks, Sugarwoman. It is good to know that your 6 year old can still fit in it. Is she a average size/big/small size girl in her age group?

I thought Odyssey has two captain seats and you can get to the third row from the middle. I like Odyssey, should have gotten that instead of my pilot. So spacious.

supercrunch

For size comparison, my 6 year old daughter is 45 inches tall and 39 lbs. She is pretty average in height, but pretty low for weight. I dont remember the percentages though.

Jordynsmama

Just from seeing pics of kids in the radian, and knowing how roomy the regent is for my dd, I would say get the regent...it is so comfy and big and I think it would fit an older child more comfortably. I know kids can fit in the radian, but it is just really narrow in comparison. The regent also is great for sleeping-with the recline bar it slants just enough. My dd loves the seat and I am really glad I went with it over the radian personally.

sugarwoman

My daughter is average size or a bit taller. I do have two captians chairs in the middle row, but I also have the smaller seat that can go between them. I can't remember the name. My two older daughters like to sit in it and it give the car lots of flexibility as far as carpooling and things go.

Well since you already have the radian, and are getting a good install, why not keep it and then if necessary later you could pass it down to the younger sibling and get a regent...just makes sense to me. (As my husband is grumbling about my wanting a FPSVD...I told him what I really wanted was a regent, but I'd compromise!!) Anyways, makes sense to me to keep the radian if you like it and then if you do need something else later, you have another one coming up that will be able to use the radian.

jennsmile

Since you do travel once or twice a year on planes I would keep the Radian for that. If you want to later get the Regent then do so. They are both good seats, that will keep your son safe.

Jenn

musicmaj

I would keep the radian too since you already have it and are getting a good install. I have a radian for my 5 year old. He is 47lbs and in the 75th % for height. He is 2 inches below the top slots. I have also put my 50% 6.5 year old in the seat. She weighs 46lbs and has a long torso. She is about .5 inch below the top slots. She says that the radian is not comfortable for her - but she is very picky and sensitive to textures/feel. She says her fisher price booster is more comfortable at her age. My son has no complaints though. If he was uncomfortable we would all know it. lol

ifkt355

Thanks for replying and suggestions. It does make sense to keep the radian and later when my younger one outgrows marathon, I can pass down the radian to him and get a regent or a booster to my older son.

Earlier today I had a friend's 6 year old son sat on it, he is 15% for weight and height and he is very tight at the shoulder area. And he is only wearing a T-shirt. I am worried that if my stout son will outgrow it in just a couple years. Then I might as well pay a little more and get a regent to get more use out of it. If the radian would indeed last me 3 years or more, then I would stick with Radian.

From your replies, it seems that average kids will outgrow it around 6 year of age, and weigh no more than 50#. MA has even narrower shoulder area. I don't see how these seats can fit kids up to 65lb as the companies claim to be. Do you agree or disagree? What's the biggest size/oldest kids you see fit in these car seats?

scatterbunny

Most seats are outgrown by height before weight, not just the 65 pound weight limit seats. :) They can hold UP TO a certain weight, but most kids to get too tall before that weight. This is true of most infant seats, most 40 pound weight limit convertibles and most other harnessed seats and boosters.

My daughter was too tall for a Marathon at about 46 inches tall and 46 pounds. She was probably too tall for an Apex at about 47 inches tall (she's almost 49 inches tall now and over the top slots by a little bit). She's probably over the top slots of the Radian, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC