ERF - snow+upholstery=:(

bigteamug

So, if you have kids ERF, what do you do to protect your car's interior in winter weather? Our car has a light, light beige interior - really practical, esp with kids.

I don't think that I am willing to mess with removing boots in the car, so what else has worked for your family?

Our garage is old-house tiny. The Prius just fits in it, but we rarely put it in - it is really difficult - like fold the side mirrors in and listen for scraping noises difficult, so we end up tracking snow in the car instead.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Take off the headrest, put a towel over the back of the seat (tuck it between the backseat and carseat, or uninstall and reinstall over this), then spear the towel with the headrest spokes so it doesn't move.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The kids take off their boots as part of the routine of getting into their seats. My 16 month old is of course too young to take his off, but I generally carry him to the car, so his boots are clean and I leave them on.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We do what Wendy suggested, but that's for dry shoes. Wet boots just get pulled off and placed on the floor in front of the car seat. The boots we have are the pull on sheepskin ones without buckles, zippers or velcro so it seriously takes seconds to put them on and off (for off I just pull them off as DD is climbing up into her seat so it's no extra time for getting them off).

christineka

I carry whomever I can. Wet/dirty boots are removed in the van. I don't want the car seat cover getting dirty either.

keri1292

I carry the ERF'er as long as I can. After that, we use a towel. If it makes you feel any better, the upholstery cleans up great, as do the covers. :thumbsup:

amyd

We used a towel last winter and took them off if they were really messy. This year we have a different vehicle with leather seats so I'm not as concerned since they just wipe off.

myliljunebugs

I would remove if they were super wet/dirty because of the seat itself, on top of that (year round) I had a beach towel (dd loved the "pretty" lol) that I cut a couple of holes in and put in the headrest like Wendy suggested. I never had a problem at all!

cpsaddict

I bought kick mats. The work great on the 40 side of the 60/40 split seat. For the middle, I safety pinned a towel to the seat. I pretty much always carry her anyway and take the boots off because I think it would be uncomfortable to sit rf with huge boots on.

bigteamug

Good, I have some more strategies. I think I'll carry the little one to the car (at least she's still only 27 lbs, which is a big part of why she is still RF at 3.75 years), when I can - she does like to romp in the snow - and put boots on the floor when we can't. She has a towel she really loves, but is one step shy of being a rag, so that will be the seat protector.

I hope to get the car detailed next spring sometime, after I finally turn her FF (we have bad winter driving here, so I am determined to kep her RF for that long).

Thanks!

simplychels

I carry when possible to avoid needing to remove the boots. But when I can't and they get all snowy they straight up get removed. I do keep a towel on the back of the seat, but to be honest I don't want her wearing snow covered boots that will soon begin to drip on her car seat and her. It's just easier to remove and put back on. She also knows the drill so we have a pretty solid routine going.

BudgieStew

PurpleCat

I was wondering the same thing too. I have my RNXT (seatbelt install) in the middle spot on a split bench. Right now I have a plastic seat protector between the seat and the leather but it keeps on working it's way up and out. :mad: It's getting a bit crunchy with the cold weather so I need an other option. I like the towel idea. I just can't think right now of how to keep it from falling down. My plastic sheet is tucked under the seat belt and tied onto the head rest beside it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was wondering the same thing too. I have my RNXT (seatbelt install) in the middle spot on a split bench. Right now I have a plastic seat protector between the seat and the leather but it keeps on working it's way up and out. :mad: It's getting a bit crunchy with the cold weather so I need an other option. I like the towel idea. I just can't think right now of how to keep it from falling down. My plastic sheet is tucked under the seat belt and tied onto the head rest beside it.

Do you have a center headrest? You could poke holes in the towel and put the posts through, if so.

icnee

This is our yuky weather routine. When the ground is wet rain or snow I carry them all 3 (one at a time now the babies are too hevey to do both at once now:( ) They wait at the door I put set one in the van shoes and coat off climb in seat while I go get another one then once every one is in (I shut the door cause its usually wet and cold) we buckle. Coats become blankets.

My kids are not perfict so some one always walks out before I get back to get them.

And they do not like haveing boots on even if they are dry or even shoes for that matter they will take them off even if they dont have too.

But I like some others would want wet boots/shoes on them even if I had some thing covering my seat cause their legs and car setas would get wet and yucky too.

Notice in my siggy their feet are bare when I put them in that day they did have socks and shoes on. they just really dont like things on their feet cant blame tham I am bare foot every chance I can be too.

leighi123

Ds usually took his boots off (we bought the kind that are really easy to get on and off!)

But sometimes we left them on. I had a small doormat type thing that lived on the floor of the car, put it on the ground for him to stomp on first. Then put him in the car wrapping his boots with a towel. Buckle him in and go.

Of course he would kick the towel off, but after 'stomping' there was only a little snow/mud left on them and the towel would take most of that off before he would get to the point where the towel was kicked off his seat altogether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC