News Car Seat Shortages Feared as companies Comply to new Canadian Standards

Shanora

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...w-rules-for-bigger-kids/article1808141/page1/

“Children’s safety equipment is like almost no other category,” said Jim Danahy, managing principal at CustomerLAB, a Port Credit, Ont.-based consultant to a wide range of retailers and suppliers. “When it comes to children’s safety equipment, these are areas where you see herd behaviour ... The last thing any parent wants to do is put their child into something that is less safe.”
Mr. Danahy said that if consumers decided to wait to buy seats approved under the new regulations, “you could see a complete, market-wide recoil from purchasing, which could seriously and unnecessarily damage the industry.”

Yes cause at of Jan 1st there will be a mass wide panic of Canadian Parents and they will all ditch their current seats and buy brand new.....
*sigh*

Seriously, its not like the Manufactures JUST found out about these new regulations...they've more and likely had MONTHS to prepare and get the seats ready!

ADS

Lea_Ontario

I seriously doubt that any "typical parent" will be going out to buy a new seat because of these new regulations.

MOST "typical parents" don't have a clue that there are new regulations coming, nor about what current regulations are.

Twinklefae

I seriously doubt that any "typical parent" will be going out to buy a new seat because of these new regulations.

MOST "typical parents" don't have a clue that there are new regulations coming, nor about what current regulations are.

I agree. Given how difficult it can be to convince many typical parents to buy a new, unexpired seat at all, and give up their $10 Kijiji 'score' I don't think that this is going to be an issue.

K's Mama

So are they just changing the legislation for the seats, or are they actually going to be making changes for the USE of the seats - 'cause to me that would seem a lot more useful given that we've had higher weight/height seats for awhile.

Shanora

As far as I know the minimums are 1 year, 22lbs and walking unassisted to be turned forward facing. Other than that, I'm not sure

amyd

Every seat that I've seen meets the old and new minimums.

What seats don't go to at least 22 pounds?

It's not that they don't go at least to 22lbs, it's that currently, manufacturers have been permitted to list 20lbs as the minimum for forward facing (although some do list 22lbs and one lists 23lbs). And walking unassisted is completely new. Now, manufacturers must list 1 year, 22lbs & walking unassisted as criteria for forward facing. Because all provinces have proper use clauses (making it illegal to use a restraint against manufacturer's instructions), it will be illegal to forward face a 20lb child in a seat that lists 22lbs, 1 year & walking unassisted as the minimum for forward facing. It will NOT be illegal to forward face a 20lb child in a seat manufactured before Jan 1, 2011, which will not list the new minimums. Clear as mud?;)

mimieliza

That's just about the dumbest article I've ever read - basically saying ERF and HWH seats are for fat kids - nothing about safety.

Some choice quotes:

About six months ago, Transport Canada unveiled new safety regulations for car seats, and in response manufacturers are making a number of physical modifications, such as increasing their widths and adding more padding to strengthen them.

'cause we all know it's the padding that strengthens car seats. :rolleyes:

The changes are driven partly by the trend of children getting bigger over the past two decades, Transport Canada said.

This may be true (kids getting bigger) but it leads parents to think, "Hey, my kid's not fat, I don't need one of these new-fangled seats!" Nothing in this article spoke to the fact that keeping kids RFing and harnessed longer improves safety.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What new "padding" is being added? I thought it was just requirements for FF and that boosters now have to have dynamic testing (which would have been done to U.S. standards already for most seats since most (all?) sold here are also sold in the U.S.).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I distinctly remember similar "OMG THERE'S GONNA BE A SHORTAGE" articles coming out just before the LATCH requirements went into effect. People just like to freak out.

simplychels

:rolleyes:

Well, I've known about it since April. I suspect I wasn't one of the first to find out.

I knew about it since October of 09 when I got certified. All my tech handouts (and tech manual) have the new info on/in them (and I've been using that info when talking to parents) and have since I got them back then. So really there is zero excuse for these companies.

I was tickled pink when my MR that I purchased in December 09 had the new guidelines, but sorely dissapointed that the other seats purchased since then have not. So kudos to Graco at least in this mess of companies draggin butt.

sparkyd

The new regulations are about way more than a sticker with new forward-facing minimums. There is a whole new set of testing requirements for all types of seats. As I understand it there is a very real possbility of shortages for some seats if they have not been able to test them yet and are slowing down manufacturing at the end of the year (because they can't ship seats made now after Jan 1), and then won't be making new ones for this market until they know they pass the tests.

If TC doesn't extend the deadline it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. If a particular seat doesn't show up on shelves after 2010 stock runs out, is it because they didn't test them in time or because they didn't pass the tests? I can see why they are clamouring for an extension. It does seem like a lot of them dropped the ball in their planning though.

Keeanh

Interesting. Are stores allowed to sell 2010 stock after Jan 1 2011?

"The last thing any parent wants to do is put their child into something that is less safe." So that's why almost every toddler you see is in a seatbelt or LBB, huh? :rolleyes:

dogmelissa

Just wondering does any one know what things will be changing?:)

There was a story on the news today (from Toronto of course because Calgary doesn't do these kinds of stories) about the changes and it was a little confusing. They did mention the weight changes, I don't recall hearing "walking unassisted" and a Britax rep talked about the testing backlog. Once it's available online I'll link it in.

Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC