If you have used a Radian rear-facing

At what age did your child need the next to the top slots on the Radian for rear-facing?

• 5 or older

Votes: 5 14.3%

Votes: 9 25.7%

Votes: 4 11.4%

Votes: 11 31.4%

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • younger than 1

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • outgrown by weight first

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

abacus2

At what age did your child need the next to the top slots for rear-facing?

I knew Naomi had a long torso, but even with that, I was surprised to find I needed to move the harness to the next to the top slots on her Radian. This means that if the fit were the same forward-facing, my one year old would need the top slots. :eek:

ADS

Cryssy Jane

Odin's on the 4th slots rear facing and will outgrow it by height before he gets to the top slots rear facing at a 38 degree angle. Forward facing he'd be using the top slots. He's 2 years 9 months.

Amare is about 1/2 inch from being able to move to the next to top slots rear facing at 15 months.

christineka

My children are short torsoed and my 5 (almost 6) year old is exceptionally small. Her shoulders are right at the second from top slots, so she keeps the harness in the same slots whether rear or forward facing. I bumped the harness up shortly after she turned 5.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My third moved up to the fourth slots at 11 months, IIRC. She also had outgrown the Scenera at that point, and outgrew the big Britaxes at around 13-14 months (both rear- and forward-facing at about the same time.)

abacus2

My third moved up to the fourth slots at 11 months, IIRC. She also had outgrown the Scenera at that point, and outgrew the big Britaxes at around 13-14 months (both rear- and forward-facing at about the same time.)

Wow. Was this a shock to you or where your other children similarly large?

mommyof3tx

When I first got ours my middle son used it RF for a few months...he was almost 5 and I really thought he was on the next to top slots, but it is possible it was the top slots. My 3yr old now would be on the 3rd for RF

myliljunebugs

Wow. Was this a shock to you or where your other children similarly large?

If you look at the picture in her siggy you will see her other girls only have slightly longer torsos at much older ages to her toddler :)

OP, Ella has a short torso for her overall height/weight and can still fit the next to top slot RF'ing when she drops in weight like she did a few weeks ago. She is five and a half now.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Dd2 is 3.5 and on the next to top slots. Dd1 outgrew the Radian quite awhile ago but was RFing on the second to top slots when she was 2.

emandbri

I am almost certain that Elizabeth has always used the 4th slot, she went into the radian at 2 years 8 months old.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, third child had a 10 inch torso-- about half her body length total-- at birth. She is also really tall for her age. Thankfully she did slow down at 2, and also her legs started to grow a LITTLE more then, but she's almost outgrown the Radian now. My second has a long-ish torso and is tall but not THAT long. At 4 she's above the top slots of the Radian and has been for a while. She's about the same size in the torso as her 6 year old sister. They all have torsos within about an inch of each other.

My third daughter just has a freaky long torso. ;)

mommyfrog

What a cute little peanut!! He'a smaller than my niece who is the same age. And we thought she was small. ;) My ds is 2.5 and is pretty much even with the third (middle) slots. If he has a cloth diaper on he's a tiny bit over, disposable, right at. He's 36 inches and 32 pounds. My niece is 9 months older, one inch taller and the same weight but no diapers. She fits the same as him. Some of you have kiddos with monsterous torsos!!!

featherhead

My 3 year old moved to the second from the top around 3ish. My 19 month old is just about at the second to top, so that's where I have the straps.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Gambit isn't RF anymore, but if he were he would have just moved to the fourth slot at just over 4 years old.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Ds moved there at 2. It seems normal for a 2yo to need that, and Naomi is closer to 2 at this point than 1. I'm pretty shocked at some of the 11m, etc. :eek:

OT: When we got the CCO when dd was 4m old, ds had already completely outgrown it.

AtTheSouthDam

I moved Ciara to the next to top slot a few months shy of four though she was still techincally below. The middle set was too low however and caused the harness not to fit right. So I am saying four. She is using that slot FF now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Leah moved to the second to top on her 2nd b-day...she still would settle down and be a little below them after some time, but I felt she was safer than having them way below her shoulders. She's been using the top slots FF since about 3.5, now she's almost 5 and still has some room to grow, probably another year or more. I never, ever would have thought it would last this long, but I'm happy (since her sister fit in it till she was 7).

MarathonMama

DD#2 just moved to that slot about a month ago - so 2y4m. However, the seat is at a 43-45 degree angle so it might have been awhile otherwise before she needed the 4th slot.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
J is *thisclose* to needing that slot. Close enough that if he didn't share the seat with a shorter-torsoed child on occasion, I would go ahead and move him up, he's just a smidge under. However, he's about to outgrow by weight (43-44lbs) and will be 4 in a couple of months, so I put both 4 and outgrown by weight first, since I think he'll hit that slot, his birthday, and the weight limit right around the same time. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC