Is this car seat blanket safe?

christineka

My friend received two of these blankets at her baby shower yesterday. (She's having twins. One lady made a boy one and another lady made a girl one.) The mom-to-be asked me if it was safe. Another lady (who made one) chimed in that since it was thin it was safe. I didn't feel like getting into a big row at the baby shower especially since I didn't really know. The fleece is fairly thin. (The ones that this mom was given seem thinner than the one in the picture.) I just don't like anything that needs holes for the harness. So, expert people, is it okay or not? I can easily email this mom in private. We've emailed back and forth a bit- even about car seats.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the holes for the harness are big enough (ie, half the blanket in back is gone) I wouldn't stress over it.

However, I'd suggest looking at carseat ponchos instead. They are similar and definitely safe (and the designer posts here).

Wendy

Mommy2Marcus

I am not a tech, but I am not sure how I feel about it as a parent. It looks like it kind of scrunches the harness on the shoulders some & I do not like that. It seems to be pretty thin, but kind of bulky around the harness area. I would have to see it in the seat with the baby in it IRL before I could decide if I really did not like it. :twocents:

christineka

She already has two of the shower cap style seat covers. I'd guess the blanket thing would be better for spring anyway. The babies are due at the end of December.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the blanket is as cute as the one in the link, I'd use it as a blanket, under the shower cap cover, and call it a success. Just not as it's pictured, not with the harness through it.

Wendy

Angela

I don't like how the slits for the harness is vertical. I would think it would bunch up too much like that. If they were more horizontal, I might be okay with it. I just don't like the idea of having anything around the harness straps.

Kat_Momof3

you could always just offer to "fix" them for use in a carseat... you know... same thing we advise people do if they've already spent money on a bundle me... cut out the whole area in the back around the harness slots... that way it doesn't interfere...

otherwise, it would be wonderful in the stroller (no having to move blankets from the carseat to the stroller... or worry about putting a jacket on between carseat and stroller)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I used to have one. Mine was made of 2 layers of flannel. Super thin but same holes for the harness. I did not like the way it fit plus I didn't feel it kept my baby covered, he'd kick it right off. I think I used it twice. I think they would be great in the stroller, swing, or bouncer to swaddle while still being buckled.
I'd go with the shower cap covers and help her come-up with a nice way to tell these women how she's using the cute blankets.
"It gets so cold in our front room where the swings are. I put those wonderful swaddle blankets in there and then I can buckle them and they can still be swaddled"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC