Need a feasible solution.

Jennifer mom to my 7

My brother is supposed to come for Thanksgiving. His wife is not supposed to ride in the front seat, because it is safer for her in the back right now because she still needs to follow sternal precautions (she hasn't been cleared yet following major heart surgery).

The 2 seats and her do not fit in the back of either vehicle. I think they have a hundai elantra and the other is a PT cruiser (I know they won't fit there). They have an onboard 35 air for baby, and they should be using a nautilus for their 4.5 year old.

I was thinking best case is to install the nautilus in the front seat for the 4.5 year old, and put sil in back. Any other suggestions, besides getting my other family to pick one of them up?

I also don't know what vehicle my parents and sis will be using or who will be driving. They also bring my aunt, and my Uncle might come this year as well (don't know yet). If uncle comes, they can't pick someone up. If he doesn't, then they will either have a caddy STS, or a ford escape.

Thanks for any suggestions other than what I can come up with.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I have absolutely no clue about this from a medical perspective. What is the problem with riding in the front seat? Is the idea that the airbag is dangerous, or that a shoulder belt is dangerous?

My immediate thought is that it's the shoulder belt that could be an issue and she was advised to ride in the back because there would only be lap belts back there (based on outdated cars, of course).

Ideally one of them would go with someone else. Barring that, Nautilus up front or not going at all are probably the only options.

babyherder

Can they get a thinner seat for the their older child? Like maybe a maestro so your sil can fit in the back with the two seats.

skaterbabs

If they're telling her to ride without a shoulder belt (and that is what it sounds like to me) then my first response is: Um...no.

In this case I would be comfortable placing a little padding between the sternum and the belt. Push the seat as far back as possible from the airbag.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they're telling her to ride without a shoulder belt (and that is what it sounds like to me) then my first response is: Um...no.

In this case I would be comfortable placing a little padding between the sternum and the belt. Push the seat as far back as possible from the airbag.

:yeahthat:

If she rides without a shoulder belt behind the untethered seat, it would potentially cause loading on the seat in front when her head and torso strike the seat in front (and how is THAT any safer for her???) and that's really not good for either rider.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Regarding getting a ride from someone else... if the uncle comes and the family is out of seats, can uncle ride in the front seat of vehicle one with your brother, so SIL can ride in the back of the other vehicle?

I'll refrain on the medical perspective, since I am truly clueless about that. Although I agree that lap-only may help the sternum problem at the expense of causing a billion other problems.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I think it is the airbag issue, not seatbelt use.

This article thing states that the backseat might be preferable. Plus, she also probably had a cesarean section (that I think was a classic incision) on top of the heart surgery. I am pretty sure my brother wore his seatbelt properly when he started traveling after his heart surgery, too. I do wonder why she hasn't been cleared yet, though.

Anyway, my husband said that he would pick her up if they want. He hasn't gotten back to us yet on the issue.

Thanks, ladies.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Regarding getting a ride from someone else... if the uncle comes and the family is out of seats, can uncle ride in the front seat of vehicle one with your brother, so SIL can ride in the back of the other vehicle?

I'll refrain on the medical perspective, since I am truly clueless about that. Although I agree that lap-only may help the sternum problem at the expense of causing a billion other problems.

Yes, thank you! Didn't even think of that!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's a air bag issue, not a seatbelt issue. My instructor told a story about trying to petition NHTSA for permission to disable the airbags, as the driver had had open heart surgery, and NHTSA took too long, the driver was in a minor collision and was killed by the airbag. But it could have been fluff, of course ;)

I'm not supposed to ride in the front seat either after my surgery (well, I just need the shoulder belt to cross my left shoulder, not my right, but since I also can't drive, I'll be stuck in the backseat).

mommy-medic

Any family or friends have one of those minivans with the swivel captains chairs in the middle row she can ride RFing in? (The adult). :D Hey- it's worth asking.

Jennifer mom to my 7

It's a air bag issue, not a seatbelt issue. My instructor told a story about trying to petition NHTSA for permission to disable the airbags, as the driver had had open heart surgery, and NHTSA took too long, the driver was in a minor collision and was killed by the airbag. But it could have been fluff, of course ;)

I'm not supposed to ride in the front seat either after my surgery (well, I just need the shoulder belt to cross my left shoulder, not my right, but since I also can't drive, I'll be stuck in the backseat).

So, that is the real issue? I really don't want to have to ask my brother this question? I am just aSSuming..... and hoping...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, from my understanding it's the airbag that's a concern. After an open-chest surgery, the sternum isn't able to protect the heart & lungs--if the airbag deploys straight into the chest, there is a huge potential for ribs to do serious damage.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Eh, she will be cleared shortly I think. It has been 6 weeks already. And this is probably the only time they will all go out together before she is cleared. Plus, really, medical bills now, new baby, Christmas on the way, I doubt they would spend money on renting a van. Especially just for the rear facing seats.

skaterbabs

I understand that one!. Since the concern appears to be the airbag, does someone else in the family have a larger car they can borrow until she's cleared?

Evolily

If another vehicle isn't an option, and another narrow harness seat isn't an option, and there are three lap/shoulder belts in the back (and no other reason you couldn't use a booster) I'd try a booster (one of the harmony backless boosters might be narrow/low profile enough?) for the 4.5 year old. I would try to put the 4.5 year old in the center with mom sitting next to him; presumably ensuring he sits properly. In my head, I would imagine the increased statistical safety from sitting in the back seat, in the center, etc would be better than sitting in the front seat in a harness. Plus the risk for one trip would be so small it is an acceptable risk to me. I realize this is a controversial statement, so...

:duck:

If that did not work, I would put the 4.5 year old in the front seat in the nautilus, I just don't see another workable solution. But I, personally, would be happier with the child in the back seat, center, than in the front seat, harnessed.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Except that this is a child that at 4 wouldn't sit properly in a booster.at.all. She constantly pulled at the belt, so the cpst my brother goes to told him to harness her in her 40 pound outgrown seat and put the shoulder belt over her, too. Hence, the reason they have my nautilus:whistle:

Like I said, is that my husband will go pick her up if need be, no worries. My brother still hasn't gotten back to me though, so we will see.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC