My confession, and a WWYD

xxluckychicxx

I drive a Honda, with a 40lb LATCH limit. DS is 42lbs. He rides in a Maestro.

I cannot for the life of me get the %$#@ing thing installed with the seatbelt. I've tried all the tricks in the book and it wont work. It seems tight side to side, then I pull it forward and it goes all over the place. I've twisted the belt stalk down 3 times, buckled it and got it tight then unbuckled it and let some more retract and then buckled again, nothing works.

So, I've been using LATCH.

I cant afford a new seat for about 3 weeks and using the Maestro as a booster isnt an option for DS.

Any ideas or WWYD?

ADS

melniemi

I would install it with latch, then install it with a seatbelt, get it as tight as possible and then uninstall the latch - if this is possible. I've never played with a maestro.

Otherwise, can you pull the seat away from the vehicle seat bight a little, and try to install it pushing down rather than back? That might reduce the front to back movement after installation.

xxluckychicxx

See its not just front to back movement though, when I pull it forward then it goes all over the place. Does that make sense? I will try that though. Thanks.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I know EXACTLY the movement you are talking about. That's how it installs in the 3rd row of my burb. It feels tight at first...and then if you pull the front just a smidge...it goes crazy loose all over. Try twisting the buckle the other direction. Sometimes, it puts the buckle at a completely different spot, and you get a totally different install.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
According to the engineer who gives information to Safe Ride News for the LATCH Manual, Honda has a 40-lb LATCH limit.

According to the customer service people at Honda, Honda has no LATCH limit, or has a 48-lb limit, or has a limit of 48 lbs that includes the weight of the seat and the kid... in other words, they have no idea.

According to Honda's vehicle manuals, there is no weight limit (at least not a stated one--it doesn't SAY there's no limit, it's just not addressed at all).

All vehicles must meet the same LATCH standards.

If you did not hang out on this board, would you have any way of knowing that Honda's limit is 40 lbs?

:whistle:

Twinklefae

It sounds like it's getting tight at a weird angle. When you are tightening the seatbelt push straight down, don't try to push it back towards the vehicle seat back at all, pull it out a little even. The RN does this FF'ing in my Mazda.

myliljunebugs

It is new enough that I would also say just use the LATCH if you can't get a proper seatbelt install. JMO but I wouldn't worry at all about that.

arly1983

See its not just front to back movement though, when I pull it forward then it goes all over the place. Does that make sense? I will try that though. Thanks.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I know exactly what kind of movement you are talking about. That is exactly the problem I was having with the radian in my MIL's car. I thought for YEARS that they were uncompatable but then I got desparate one day and tried pulling the base away from the bight and using my knees to press down while tightening. Its freakin rock solid! Thought I loose a little height because its not as upright but, hey, its in there. I have a thread about it somewhere...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=70465&highlight=ford+radian+arly1983

It is new enough that I would also say just use the LATCH if you can't get a proper seatbelt install. JMO but I wouldn't worry at all about that.

But in any case, I would not sweat it until closer to 48 lbs because my opinion is with the above poster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC