SS1 Handle Locking Button Broken?

Chila88

Is this common? I did find one other thread on here about it happening. I borrowed this seat to use, and the button is no longer spring loaded. I can audibly hear it click in place, so it does lock, but just not automatically....you have to pull the button out to lock it manually.

Judging by the other thread....sounds like it happens at least somewhat frequently. Anyone ever had a seat replaced for this?

ADS

Mae

I must have missed the other thread about it -- This is the first I've heard of it. I would call Graco as soon as you can, because I know that you have to have the handle locked into one of the approved positions while in the car. It must be locked in, not just hanging around in a non-locked spot, you know? But I don't know how that would work if you can technically lock it into place by pulling it out.

Here is Graco's contact info.

Graco® Customer Support is available Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm EST.

800-345-4109 (US)
800-667-8184 (Canada)

Chila88

It still only locks in one of the approved places.....it won't lock just anywhere. Its just to get it to actually lock in one of those spots, you have to pull the button out. But you do hear the click then, and I can really crank on the handle and it doesn't unlock or anything...so it seems secure.

I will call Graco on Monday and see what they say. Someone on the other thread said they were offered a $40 rebate toward replacement. Better than a kick in the pants...but that sure doesn't go very far toward replacement of a $220 carseat (which is what they cost here in Canada).

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=77356

Graco customer service is excellent... I wouldn'tbe surprised if they just send you a new one. I recently called to order new fabric for a Quattro Tour Sport in the Platinum fabric because there are tiny tears in the back part from folding... they said it wasn't available. I said "oh well" then asked what can I do if it's squeaking a little- and they said "well since we have more than one issue we're just going to send you a shipping label and send it back...we'll replace it when we receive it" :eek:

I got the shipping label and it did say that they can't guarantee the same pattern so I called to see.... they checked and confirmed that they probably wouldn't be able to send another Platinum...I said Oh well, I'll probably just keep this one then because it matches my Rittenhouse car seat. They said they'll send me a Quattro Tour in Rittenhouse instead! :thumbsup:

Angela

I had a snugride do a similar thing. I talk to Graco and they replaced the whole seat. She did have me send the 'damaged' one back to them, so they could check out the problem. They sent me a return label to do this though. So no money on my end for it. :)
I would definitely say to call Graco.

Kobain's Mommy

I agree. We got our PNP set up prior to having LO. The velcro from the bassinet got stuck on the mesh and tore a small hole. They gave me the option of sending the whole PNP in or they could just send out the bassinet part. I said just the bassinet was fine. I had it in a week.

Chila88

Thanks for giving me some hope!!! The seat is several years old....so I'm not sure they'll do anything, but fingers crossed!!!

Chila88

Well crap......help! I don't know what to do....

Graco said normally they would replace the shell for me, but since they no longer make the Safe Seat they cannot do that. So they offered me $50 toward replacement of the seat. BUT if I take the $50 I have to send them the shell for inspection. I asked if it was ok to use the seat still, and she said that the carseat itself is fine, but I shouldn't carry it by the handle. Argh!

Now I have to talk to my friend, cuz this is not my carseat. So obviously the decision is hers. But she likely won't replace it right now, just for me to use. (I wouldn't ever expect her to). I imagine she'll just replace it next time she is pregnant. If I give it back to her right now, then I don't have a bucket to use for the winter, and have to go back to the convertible (which BLOWS cuz I'm loving using the bucket!!!!) So would you continue using it without the handle? Or I could sell my PVSIP to fund my own SR35, but I don't plan on having another baby for a few years....and so I kind of hoped to wait until then to replace it just in case there was something new and fantastic on the market then! Ya know? Blah......what to do....what to do.....

Chila88

I had a snugride do a similar thing. I talk to Graco and they replaced the whole seat. She did have me send the 'damaged' one back to them, so they could check out the problem. They sent me a return label to do this though. So no money on my end for it. :)
I would definitely say to call Graco.

How old was your seat when they replaced it? There is only 2 years left on this one....so I think that is why they are only offering $50, rather than to replace it with a SR30/32/35??? I was really hoping they'd replace the shell though, cuz then I would have still had a seat to use this winter.....this has really left me in the lurch! :(

Angela

How old was your seat when they replaced it? There is only 2 years left on this one....so I think that is why they are only offering $50, rather than to replace it with a SR30/32/35??? I was really hoping they'd replace the shell though, cuz then I would have still had a seat to use this winter.....this has really left me in the lurch! :(

Bummer! Mine was less than a year old (by about a month). CS said that since the handle is not fixable, that she would send me a new seat. She didn't mention anything about the safety of it, but I'm not sure if I would trust that. Usually Graco has VERY good CS. Maybe you can try to get ahold of someone else? If it still has 2 years left on it, I would expect them to replace it.

Chila88

Just wanted to add to this thread, for future use, that I talked to several Graco reps today and the consensus seems to be that it is ok to continue to use this seat in the car "as the handle does not lock the seat into the base". But that they do not recommend carrying the carseat by the handle anylonger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC