Really bad carseat use :(

Joddle

So, for about 2 years now I've been nannying for the same family every Friday.
Usually the mum and I don't go anywhere togther with the kids, it's either her staying home with some and me taking some or vice versa (they have 4 kids).
Anyway, yesterday was a first. We both went in her car to Playgroup.
And I could NOT believe how she used the car seats.
The 18mth old was in a MaxiRider II (http://babyonline.com.au/images/Maxi Rider II.jpg) with the harness in the top slots. The mum put the harness UNDER her arms and buckled. It was ridiculously loose.
In the middle was a LBB with a lap-only belt and H-Harness (http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/images/...sories/Child-Safety-harness-(H---Harness).jpg). Both were on the loosest setting. Her DS (just turned 4) slid all the way forward so he was basically standing.
Then was the 3.5yo in a foam HBB (http://www.conext.com.au/images/products/860.jpg) with a lap-sash belt. I buckled him in, and there was no belt guide and he slipped the sash straight behind his back.
I don't know what to do!!! I love these kids dearly, especially the toddler who I've nannied since birth. The mum is a smart woman, I don't know how she can think a harness under the arms is safe!
I have a really good relationship with her, does anyone have suggestions on how to approach it? I'm doing my tech course in Feb, so after that I'll be qualified to educate her, but I don't think I can let it go on that long.
TIA!

ADS

babyherder

Tell her your taking a tech course. Explain that you want to do really well in it and ask if you can reinstall her kids seats for practice. And practice buckling them. Then the seats will be installed correctly. And you can kind of talk your self through buckling the kids out loud. Like, "straps above the shoulders, buckle, check harness, opps, still slack, tightening a little, now no slack, all set!" Hopefully mom will pay attention and maybe ask questions or just copy the way you buckle.

Joddle

I like that idea babyherder :)
I don't think she even knew how to tighten/loosen the harness, her DH does all the installing and she told me the 3.5DS was in a booster now because "The straps on the harness (in the Maxirider) were too tight". There's no way that's possible if it was completely loose. Next Friday I will find a way to slot the tech course into conversation :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would totally go with the "please help me practice" thing. People like to help!

I'd also throw in that part of your job as a tech is learning how to talk to parents without upsetting them and hurting their feelings, and ask her specifically to give you feedback on how she's feeling about the things you tell her and how you say it. :thumbsup: That will give you an idea not just on how well you're communicating, but also hopefully open up the communication for her so that she doesn't end up carrying around any resentment, yk?

I had a check a few months ago where I messed up, and told a mom that her baby was too young to FF in the carseats they'd just bought (Nautiluses.) I backpedalled once I realized her baby was much older than I'd thought, but I could tell she was still annoyed with me. So, I took a deep breath and just addressed it - it was really uncomfortable! I said "You seem to be upset with me about what I said earlier." At first she was polite and said "Oh no no, it's fine..." but then she added "Well, maybe a little." So we talked about it even more, and our dynamic was MUCH better afterward. As uncomfortable as it was to point out that I could tell she was annoyed with me, it really paid off in the end, for both of us!

So I think it would be really helpful for you to just open up that aspect of the conversation right from the start, and address that a lot of parents are going to feel judged and dismayed by talking about their misuse, and how that's normal, but not your intent at all.

Joddle

Thankyou so much guys, I really like these ideas and never would have thought to do that myself!!! I just worry so much because she isn't the safest driver either. Thanks again!

babyherder

I'd also throw in that part of your job as a tech is learning how to talk to parents without upsetting them and hurting their feelings, and ask her specifically to give you feedback on how she's feeling about the things you tell her and how you say it. :thumbsup: That will give you an idea not just on how well you're communicating, but also hopefully open up the communication for her so that she doesn't end up carrying around any resentment, yk?

:yeahthat:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC