What car seats allow center borrowing of anchors?

Mae

I'm curious, so let's make a thread out of it.

I know the SnugRide/SafeSeat line from Graco requires the anchors to be standard width -- 280mm/11 inches/27.9cm. But I also couldn't find anything about it in the GN manual.

Their exact wording from a SnugRide:

LATCH is defined as anchorages 280mm (11 inches) between anchor points. Graco does not recommend using the LATCH system in the center position if the spacing is greater than 280 mm (11 inches) unless recommended in your vehicle owner's manual.

So if the car allows it, does Graco allow it? It says no, but then it says "unless recommended in your vehicle owner's manual". :confused:

And then the MyRide manual:

As a manufacturer, we do not recommend using the LATCH system in the center position if it exceeds 11 inches from the center of one LATCH anchor to the center of another LATCH anchor.

IIRC, the Radian must also be standard width, too.

This is always something that has confused me (just in general -- seeing if a car seat allows borrowing of non-standard width). And if a manual doesn't state anything about it (like the Scenera -- I couldn't find anything in a quick flip through), do we assume that we do not borrow anchors?

Last edited:
ADS

Mae

Britax allows it.

Do all Britax seats allow it? Are you 150% sure all Britax seats allow it? Or just the ones you have?

I suppose I could check my FR85 manual. Kind of forgot about that one. It's about 5 feet from me. I'll ETA when I find.

Ok, ETA:

The FR85 allows center LATCH with anchors up to 20 inches/50.8 cm, IF the car allows it.

canadiangie

Oy. Well, when I'm determining what the answer to your question is, I have to cross reference in my LATCH manual. First determine if the CR allows it, and then see of the vehicle allows it. It's actually a little brain bending sometimes.

Mae

Oy. Well, when I'm determining what the answer is to your question I have to cross reference in my LATCH manual. First determine if the CR allows it, and then see of the vehicle allows it. It's actually a little brain bending sometimes.

Right, this is just what car seats allow it. I know it completely depends on whether the car allows it, too. But I admit, when I see a thread that asks if they can center LATCH, I tell them if their vehicle allows center LATCH (I look in the LATCH manual), but then I tell them to check their car seat manual.

But then I got to thinking, "I can barely determine what car seats allow it!" so that lead me to this thread. :)

pepsicola

No, I wouldn't bet my life on it (or a babies for that matter). Idk if the Britax infant seats allow it or not, but I know that all the Britax convertibles i've owned allowed it, up to like 18" (?). I don't own any of the new redesigns, those may or may not allow it...?

Anyhow I'm sure another tech will be right along with the official Britax rules..

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Page 109 of the LATCH manual (2009 edition) has a listing of which carseat manufacturers allow borrowing and which ones don't. :) I know it has been typed up and posted here before, either in installations or in the tech forum or both possibly, but search isn't pulling it up for me at the moment. (I'm pretty sure I posted it before and I can link to it if I find it eventually rather than retyping the whole thing, lol).

Mae

Page 109 of the LATCH manual (2009 edition) has a listing of which carseat manufacturers allow borrowing and which ones don't. :) I know it has been typed up and posted here before, either in installations or in the tech forum or both possibly, but search isn't pulling it up for me at the moment. (I'm pretty sure I posted it before and I can link to it if I find it eventually rather than retyping the whole thing, lol).

Oh, thank you so much!! You really are the Queen of the LATCH Manual, aren't you?

I'll have to take a peek at that! Thanks again!

Mae

Here is a post from you I found, is this what you are talking about?

The 2009 LATCH manual has a quick reference list of carseat manufacturers (on page 109) that allow center installs with "borrowed" outboard lower LATCH anchors spaced wider than the standard 11 inch spacing only if the the vehicle manufacturer also allows it. Here's that list, including the allowable spacing range between the borrowed lower anchors if a range is specified by the carseat manufacturer:

Britax 11-20 inches

Dorel

Fisher-Price (Safe Voyage) 11-20 inches

Merritt Manufacturing 11-20 inches

Orbit 11-20 inches

Recaro 11-20 inches

SafeGuard/IMMI 11-20 inches

Snug Seat 11-20 inches

Team Tex America no limit given (2007)

Triple Play Products

ETA: I also looked at that page, and next to Dorel and Triple Play Products, it says "yes". What does that mean? Just that it allows space wider than standard space? So it doesn't have a space limitation?

There are also some brands not listed -- I assume they don't allow it at all, then?

amyd

Baby Trend allows it as long as the anchors aren't spaced any further than 16" apart. Not in the restraint manual or in the LATCH manual. This was confirmed by a call to BT.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Aha, you found the post. :) Not queen, just a regular LATCH manual user for several years and editions, combined with a weird memory for vehicle details that dates back to when I was a pint-sized child car geek in the making. :) Yes means it's allowed without any specific spacing requirements/range between lower anchors barring more specific spacing info. listed in the actual carseat's manual I would think. If a carseat manufacturer isn't listed at all, I'd assume it's a no to be on the safe side unless it says otherwise in the carseat manual. :twocents: The next edition of the LATCH manual comes out in 2011 so we'll potentially have more or updated info. in a matter of months.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I really thought SK didn't allow center latch.

Manuals say they don't. Then SK said they do. Then the manuals said they do, then said they don't... It was a whole confusing thing... Ending with, I'm going with they don't until they change the manual, because I'm worried it was another Russ thing.

(They do on the Monterey, though, since it's not holding the kid in, just the car seat and is a convenience not safety feature.)

Kobain's Mommy

I'm curious, so let's make a thread out of it.

I know the SnugRide/SafeSeat line from Graco requires the anchors to be standard width -- 280mm/11 inches/27.9cm. But I also couldn't find anything about it in the GN manual.

Their exact wording from a SnugRide:

So if the car allows it, does Graco allow it? It says no, but then it says "unless recommended in your vehicle owner's manual". :confused:

And then the MyRide manual:

IIRC, the Radian must also be standard width, too.

This is always something that has confused me (just in general -- seeing if a car seat allows borrowing of non-standard width). And if a manual doesn't state anything about it (like the Scenera -- I couldn't find anything in a quick flip through), do we assume that we do not borrow anchors?

Ok I'm confused... I've got a 05 Dodge Neon. Owners manual says you can use center latch as long as you don't have any outboard seats latched. When you look at the center hook spots it looks like there's two diffrent LATCH spots. We have a MR, SR32 and SS1. All have been latched in. So am I supposed to be buckling them?

HayleyCPST

your car has 3 sets of latch which means they all are standard spacing 11" (I think?)

You can use latch for one car seat in the center or 2 if you use the outboard positions. ETA: just to clarify. So you have 3 seats across? If you latch the center seat you must seat belt the outboards. If you latch one outboard you must seat belt the center one. The other outboard you could latch or seat belt.

Mae is specifically asking which seats allow you to borrow anchors. Cars that only have 4 hooks across. Yours has 6 so you are fine.

sunnymw

Does the comfortsport allows LATCH borrowing? I remember posting a pic of my CS installed w/ center latch in my Mazda in a "misuse" thread and someone said it wasn't misuse.

simplychels

your car has 3 sets of latch which means they all are standard spacing 11" (I think?)

You can use latch for one car seat in the center or 2 if you use the outboard positions. ETA: just to clarify. So you have 3 seats across? If you latch the center seat you must seat belt the outboards. If you latch one outboard you must seat belt the center one. The other outboard you could latch or seat belt.

Mae is specifically asking which seats allow you to borrow anchors. Cars that only have 4 hooks across. Yours has 6 so you are fine.

Just want to clarify that not all vehicles with 6 latch anchors allow you to use all of them in the way people might think. My vehicle (08 G6) has 6 latch anchors. But my manual allowed "center" latch position is actually off center.

A BC DE F

Thats how mine are set up. AB is passenger side outboard. CE is manual designated off center center spot. FD is the driver side outboard. So I wouldn't want somebody to see 6 positions and just assume CD was their center spot, because it's not always going to be the case. So that also means I can't have CE and DF in use at the same time. But I can have EF/AB or AB/CE in use at the same time. I cannot ever use all 3 latch positions at the same time.

Though on our Dodge Ram it is AB=passenger side, CD= Center, EF=driver side. All 3 usable at the same time. No restrictions.

Just check vehicle manuals to know which spots are actually usable in which ways and when, and if you are ever unsure just seatbelt it.

Good thread!! I usually have troubles recalling this stuff off the top of my head, so it's nice to have the refresher.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC