Chrysler seat belts

U

Unregistered

Hi - could anyone be kind enough to tell me how the seat belt system works on a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron Conv? I was told that they don't 'stick' when jerked because a mercury switch activates the belt during a collision. Please advise - papa.smurf@lineone.net

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It sounds like what you have is an "ELR" (Emergency Locking Retractor: it only locks during a crash) and a "Free sliding Latch Plate" --the "male" end, that is...the shiny part that goes into the "female" buckle. (for lack of a better description, lol)

Cars prior to 1996 were not required to have locking belts, but since then, either the retractor must be lockable, or the latchplate must be lockable, to hold the lap belt taught, to hold car seats in place.

So what you will need is a "locking clip" to hold the lap portion of your belt tight. Almost all carseats come with them, and when they are used correctly, they do a good job of holding a car seat in place. (Britax seats and Safety Baby seats come with built in lockoffs, and no separate locking clip is required)

Here's a site with different types of seatbelts: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/lockincss.aspx

And if you have realplayer, here's a video clip of a proper locking clip installation http://www.fitforakid.org/videos/index.html

Sorry, I just re-read your question...you didn't ask all that...but I hope it helps, anyway!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC