Should I say anything?

astromom

Last weekend I saw my niece and nephew. My niece will be 6 in about a week, but I suspect she weighs only ~35 lbs (much less than my 41lb DD). My niece showed me her new backless booster. I'm not an expert, but the seat belt fit looked reasonable. Also, my nephew who is 16 months was forward facing in his sister's old seat. I've sent their mom info on rearfacing to at least 2yr a while back. I'm not sure if I should say anything about either child. The only thing I did say was when their mother asked why my DD was in a HBB instead of a LBB, I said it was better for sleeping and safer. Should I say anything about rearfacing or do I let it go?
Colleen

ADS

urchin_grey

I'd be more inclined to mention RF and let the backless booster thing go.

As far as what to say, I think this video is a good one to share because its short, factual, and to the point. Plus, I think seeing the difference means more to most people than just hearing "rear facing is safer".
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

mommyfrog

Maybe just to ask her if she read it. If she has, you've done your job by getting the information to her. If not, send it again and ask her to please read it because you love your nephew!!

ETA: Great video to send her!!

mrdhollins

what is your relationship to the mom? is she your sister or your sister-in-law (brother's wife or husband's sister, etc).

The reason I ask is that if she were my sister, I'd totally slam her with everything but if she were my BIL's wife or Brother's wife, I'd probably bring it up w/ him or ask DH to bring it up him... you know, whoever has the closest family relationship.

astromom

She is BIL's wife. Talking to her directly would be the most likely to have an effect. BIL tells me that he never rode in a carseat and he was okay. The whole carseat thing is a big issue between me and the ILs. They think we should just throw the kids in the car and go. MIL & FIL will likely give the BIL's wife lots of grief if she does turn my nephew RF. DH won't talk to any of them about it.

Kat_Momof3

I would definitely concentrate on the rf thing, HOWEVER, I would also mention casually that if she has trouble sleeping in the car comfortably, a highback booster would be a great solution.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC