untethered harnessed seat vs expired start with shield untethered?

fyrfightermomma

So Sophia is untethered in a GN in our car. She is staying in that position. It's just the way it is. It will be that way until Spring when E is boostered and she can take that spot and Sophia can have a tether. There is no seat infront of Sophia and nothing to strike in a collision. And I feel good about the head excursion #s of the GN.

But I've been eyeing up my Recaro Start in the basement and wondering about it. Wondering if it would be better or "safer" which I know no one knows.

So a properly used untethered Graco Nautilus in a lap shoulder belt? Or an untethered (I think someone said it's not required) 2003 Start with Shield? Some people say it's a 6 year expiration. Some say 10. Some say never. It's Nov 2003.

Or does it not really matter? Probably the same safety wise?

ETA: She lost a little weight after being sick and is about 37 lbs now.

ADS

andre149

Iirc didn't the GN perform really well in head excursion untethered? I would go with that before I'd use a potentially expired seat :twocents:

fyrfightermomma

I thought the Start required the use of a tether because of the weight of it.

I'd go Nautilus.

See that's what I thought too. But then I had a thread and somehow the Start with shield came up and I said how I can't use it because there is no top tether and someone said it wasn't required. But I thought it was! My Start didn't come with a manual either :eek:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My Start manual just says to use the tether if a tether anchor is available. I asked Diann and she confirmed it is not mandatory.

However, that was for a Start used as a BPB. Rules for using the sheild might be different.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would feel really uncomfortable using the Start without the top tether. It's a very, very heavy booster and the tether was important enough when the Start was first made that it used to come with a tether anchor kit to install in your vehicle.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would feel really uncomfortable using the Start without the top tether. It's a very, very heavy booster and the tether was important enough when the Start was first made that it used to come with a tether anchor kit to install in your vehicle.

The original Start was quite a bit heavier than mine though.

My Start weighs 25#

For comparison,
Frontier 80=26#
Frontier 85=23.8#
Monterrey=20#
Prosport=28#

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The original Start was quite a bit heavier than mine though.

Yeah, but it's still more top-heavy than most other boosters (though I thought the Cybex was pretty top-heavy when I saw it). It also folds, unlike the other boosters, and it doesn't lock in the upright position.

I dunno, I wouldn't freak if anyone else used it without the tether as long as their manual allowed it, but I personally wouldn't.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC