Just Whining...Not In Love With Monterey

NebraskaMom

Hrmph.

I want to love this booster seat. I'm trying very very hard to like it, but I just don't.

It is tall enough for my son, which is awesome since I do not trust he'll sit correctly in a NBB. However, it seems no matter what I do, he's out of position somehow, he can't get it buckled on his own--the seatbelt keeps locking without him pulling it out all the way--I don't know...

Like I said, I'm just being whiny this morning. I'm tempted to try a Strada, but I'm also tempted to work on training him in a NBB...which I really don't want to do yet...grrrrrr.....

ADS

ginny4

not everyone is going to love the same seats. i mean i LOVE the monterey but there are defitnily some flaws with it. its still not perfect but there isn't a perfect seat. maybe trying a different one is what is needed.

however lets try to figure it out.....what do you mean he is out of position? is there something that is uncomfortable for him? is he annoyed by the headwings, sidewings or whatever?
buckling can be an issue in the beginning. how long have you had it for? my DD has harder times with buckling when she is in different vehicles. the main one she has figured it out mostly. we make sure she pulls it out alot, buckle & then snug it up.
the seatbelt retracting prematurly has nothing to do with the booster but i can see how annoying that must be.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
the seatbelt retracting prematurly has nothing to do with the booster but i can see how annoying that must be.

I dunno, in a way, it does. My kids need LOTS of extra slack to buckle the Monterey -- so do I, for that matter -- and that causes them to lock the seatbelt more frequently than with other boosters.

For me, the way it supports them and their positioning is worth that PITA (frankly all boosters are a PITA due to my three-acrosses, so I'd never even thought of that issue before this post.) For me, I find that the restrictiveness of the Monterey helps my kids stay IN position -- but if it's causing your kid to be out of position, then it's the right fit for your family. Is he out of position due to a poor fit, or due to leaning out of position for some reason (comfort, maturity, feeling overly confined?)

I don't think I'd opt for a NBB full-time at seven -- have you tried the Parkway? IIRC it's comparable in height to the Monterey (maybe a bit taller?) and tends to fit the kids the Monterey doesn't.

menfusse

I don't love it either. It's awkward to move around, the back falls off way too easily, the wings don't stay in position, and it's heavy for a booster. The one and ONLY reason I have it is because it's tall and I prefer A in a highback in dh's old s-10, and it's the only one we have that fits. I also can't justify buying her anything comparably tall (if there was anything, idk if there is) since she's on the very last notch of it.

In terms of love and booster seats...I LOVE the vivo. I wish it were taller, that's my only qualm with it. I know some have found the seat depth too short in it though, but for us we found that the slant in the seat didn't cause the same issues that other short depth seats do.

AtTheSouthDam

I don't love it either but it was tall and fit DD1 when she outgrew the Regent.
I have the same problems with the belt locking and DD1 being unable to buckle herself. She'll pull the seat belt out too far trying to get it buckled and still fail. The only seating positions she can buckle herself in don't have latch so I feel it defeats the purpose.
I hate the side wings. I fell like I am adjusting them back in when ever we go somewhere. She constantly leaning out of the head wings.

She really wants the Britax SG in that bright pink. I think, come spring, I am going to get it and DH is getting the monetery for his car. SHe is dangerously dose to outgrowing the head rests in his car anyway (NBB).

NebraskaMom

Thanks for the support. I guess I just had extremely high expectations for it since I've actually loved 2 of his 3 car seats and this one is just...eh...

I definitely agree with the wings not staying put, though he's close to the outermost position, so I'm not as concerned with that. As far as my out of position comment, it seems 50% of the time the seatback is fine, the other 50% it's too low or high. He wears the same style of clothing (long sleeve shirt, jeans) everyday to school...so I know he's not gaining bulk anywhere...and since I have to buckle him in, I know he's sitting correctly...

We've done a Parkway and he didn't fit right in it. He said it was too narrow, I didn't like the height of it since it wouldn't have lasted as long as I wanted. I would like to keep the hbb as long as possible, he is a wiggler by nature, hence the Monterey purchase when I needed to replace his Nautilus.

Again, thanks for the comments....sometimes we just need to whine :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC