Rough night, son was puking!

TheRealMacGyver

My DS just turned 1 last week we started him in daycare this week. I always said I would never put my child in daycare, but then again, I never thought I was going to have a child! Anyhow, he has been with his mom or me up until now. He's been healthy and eats everything. Two days (half days at that) in daycare and the barfing has begun! I just can't believe this. I kept him home today. He doesn't have a fever, so I'm thinking his body maybe is just going through shock over the changes. We only started Tuesday with daycare, but we have been getting him up about two hourse earlier than normal. His normal routine has been completely disrupted. Yesterday he didn't take a morning nap, then practically passed out when I got him home. His eating patterns have changed too. I knew this would be a learning curve, but I didn't think it would be this drastic. Anyhow, do you think the shock of this abrupt change could bring on such a reaction? I mean this is literally the first real throw-up he has ever done. Also, not to be gross or anything, but 7 hours after his dinner, his puke contained his dinner! I'm no doctor, but I would think his dinner would have moved on down the line, if you know what i mean. Well, got to go do like 5 loads of laundry now, I'll check back.

ADS

Yoshi

Awww...((((HUGS)))) to you all. It is a difficult transition, especially for little ones who don't have language yet to help them express themselves. However, considering that he is new to daycare, and he is at the age where he still puts things in his mouth- my bet would be a virus. For a while, he may catch something new each week- which will make it hard to go to work- but he will get more resistance as time goes on. My 1st child was in daycare, my second one is not. They both had completely different levels of illness. Of course, vomiting is sometimes emotional- I hope it is short-lived, either way.:(

arly1983

Well, lets see...
1st things first..Gerber Apple Flavored Electrolytes for the throwing up and my kids never run a fever when they have a virus....

I run a licensed home daycare and about half the kids I have had have come to me at about a year old and only ever stayed with family. I have found that a one year old has a hard time adjusting to a daycare enviroment. It is rough and can take up to three months but once they are used to that schedule and that enviroment then they trive. That is why it is best to pick one daycare and stick with it. Most younger babies don't care who has them as long as they are being held and fed. With older children, it is new and exciting and can go either way (screaming or can't wait to get to daycare).

Also with being sick, when I first started the daycare, for several months me and my kids caught everything you can imagine. We were used to our germs and then I have 3-4 more kids in one place and all their germs. Most children get sick the first few months they are introduced to new germs. Their immunities will get stronger. This tends to happen when they start prechool and kindergarden. The sickest I have ever been in my life was when I started my student-teaching at the highschool (also why I am a daycare provider, I think all teachers are superheros)

Daycares in and of themselves are not bad things. The tough part is finding one that fits you and your child. Always make sure that the daycare is licensed by the state (then it will be regularly inspected and most meet certain standards and all workers must have background checks) It is also nice if the daycare is on a state run food program because then they must comply with nutritianal guidelines and will be inspected by that organization as well.

Last edited:

TheRealMacGyver

Thanks Tina and Arly. He did just start a mild fever, so I might be taking him to doctor, I will see how he does. I am going to run out and get some pedialyte(SP?) to get him hydrated.

Daycares in and of themselves are not bad things. The tough part is finding one that fits you and your child. Always make sure that the daycare is licensed by the state (then it will be regularly inspected and most meet certain standards and all workers must have background checks) It is also nice if the daycare is on a state run food program because then they must comply with nutritianal guidelines and will be inspected by that organization as well.

We toured all the local daycares and decided on Discovery Point (a franchise) because it really stood out from the rest. The others were dark, dingy, and overall scary to me. I like the layout and openess of DP. I expected this to happen eventually, just didn't think it would happen this soon, especially since he has been so healthy and hasn't had any issues.

Well, I guess this is the inevitable, just have to deal with it. This is why we decided to start him early before I go back to work, so I guess the plan is working out. I'm sure you already know this, but putting him in daycare was not easy to do. Walking out of there while he was crying definately broke my heart.

broken4u05

And the stomach bug has been bad this year. It has hit the twins 3 times. Well only drew got it the last time but i think jack might kinda have it now. He has spit up 3 times and not wanting his milk and also being really fussy so i think he is fighting something. When kids are first in daycare they will get everything but it will go away after time and he will love day care

broken4u05

Also if he does not like the pedialyte pear juice is what the doctor said for us to use. Jack hates the taste of anything else

lovinwaves

Awww, sorry about your little guy. I really have no advice on the daycare thing, but wanted to let you know to just keep him hydrated.

My little man was in the ER countless times a few weeks ago from dehydration. If I could go back I would have been syringing liquid down him the minute he started puking. They get dehydrated sooo fast when they are that little. Don't worry about him eating food. My son didn't eat for 5 days. Hydration is what is important and deadly if he doesn't get it.

Hope he feels better soon. :)

oxeye

I'm so sorry!! It's so hard when they are that sick when they are so little. The puking bugs have been rough this winter - we had two and we usually got a few years between those it seems. :(

My girls are starting daycare in July or August and I'm worried we're going to go through the same thing. I've heard it can be a tough transition with them suddenly being exposed to so many bugs because they are around so many other petri dishes, err I mean kids.

I've been debating hiring a nanny instead, but that's quite a bit more expensive than daycare so we're just going to see how it goes.

broken4u05

I'm so sorry!! It's so hard when they are that sick when they are so little. The puking bugs have been rough this winter - we had two and we usually got a few years between those it seems. :(

My girls are starting daycare in July or August and I'm worried we're going to go through the same thing. I've heard it can be a tough transition with them suddenly being exposed to so many bugs because they are around so many other petri dishes, err I mean kids.

I've been debating hiring a nanny instead, but that's quite a bit more expensive than daycare so we're just going to see how it goes.

With 2 kids a nanny might not be that much more depending on where you live. And if you have a friend that wants a nanny as well you can do a nanny share and it costs even less but that the person would have 3 children and i do not know if you would want that. I really want to do a nanny share with someone that just had a baby but the twin's moms think that 3 kids are too much. I do not think so. The baby would be 7 months and the twins almost 2 i could do it. But o well. Have you looked at costs of nannies around you?

TheRealMacGyver

Here is a great link with everything you need to know about vomiting!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083300.asp

Thanks, that is some good information.

He did eat some and drank some fluids. He didn't drink much of the pedialyte, but had some water and mango juice.

My girls are starting daycare in July or August and I'm worried we're going to go through the same thing.

I will go back to work in August, so we decided start acclimating him now. This way by that time (hopefully) we will be over all of these issues.

Anyhow, I think I'm starting to feel a little punk now too!:eek:

broken4u05

Anyhow, I think I'm starting to feel a little punk now too!:eek:

Wash everything in the house. We are always washing here because when one gets something we all get it. If we can stop it early only one get it. I hope you do not get sick and you feel better. Stomach bug is no fun

arly1983

The big thing about walking out when they are crying is to do it quick. If you draw the experience out, trust me, it will be much worse. I have been on both sides of this one (the parent and the daycare provider). Just walk in and hand the caregiver the child and bag or sit him on the floor and walk out. If you are concerned with his crying, stand at the door and listen, I promise you it will not be as long as you think. Most children it lasts less than a min. There are some exceptions but very few... I also know of two children who have stayed at the same place their whole lives and they still cry to this day (4 and 3). The four year old only cries when Daddy drops her off and the 3 yr old when Mommy drops him off. How weird is that?

oxeye

With 2 kids a nanny might not be that much more depending on where you live. And if you have a friend that wants a nanny as well you can do a nanny share and it costs even less but that the person would have 3 children and i do not know if you would want that. I really want to do a nanny share with someone that just had a baby but the twin's moms think that 3 kids are too much. I do not think so. The baby would be 7 months and the twins almost 2 i could do it. But o well. Have you looked at costs of nannies around you?

I'm going to PM you so I don't completely hijack the thread. :)

Splash

Didn't you just start giving him cow's milk in the last week as well? That might account for it. I remember you starting a thread about it, but I don't remember what your decision was at the end.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Sounds like maybe a rotavirus infection, unless your LO was immunized against it. We had our second one immunized (it's an oral solution) b/c when our son got it, it was awful. Vomiting for a few days, low grade fever, a little diarrhea (sp?). Our pediatrician said to stay away from all dairy and do the BRAT diet for a few days (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast). She also said most kids hate the taste of pedialyte so to mix some juice in it was fine. She also said that Gatorade was a great alternative to pedialyte. Most kids usually get their first rotavirus infection before the age of 3 and that the first one is usually the worst.

I also agree with Arly that older children have a harder time transitioning to daycare outside the home than younger babies. It may take a month or so before your LO adapts and resets his routine =)

Hope your little one feels better soon.

TheRealMacGyver

Didn't you just start giving him cow's milk in the last week as well? That might account for it. I remember you starting a thread about it, but I don't remember what your decision was at the end.

Yes, we started him a couple of weeks ago, but he is still getting formula. He drinks milk (either cow or goat) but he will only drink a little, then bhat's it. He seems to be a bit better now, after some Tylenol and a good nap. Still not sure if it's a bug or what. I did give him milk earlier and he hasn't gotten any worse, but I'll keep tabs on his milk intake just in case. Neither of us are allergic to anything and he hasn't had any problems with anything this far either, but you never know.

arly1983

Oh, you know, I didn't even think about that Splash...

We thought Jackson kept getting a virus for weeks and he was extremely intollereant to milk like me....

Then we started him on my brand of soy and he broke out in bad hives..

Now we are drinking Rice..

My sister has that reaction to eggs, she throws up (can you tell Im from a family of allergies, exzema, astham, IBS, etc...)

JaRylan

Sorry to hear your little guy is feeling rough. When he does start eating again start him out with some bland stuff. When my son was puking a few months ago everyone suggested the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) once he started to feel like eating. Hope he is feeling better soon and that everyone else remains healthy.

Another note for germs...I have a friend who swears that she has cut the illnesses her boys come down with by 3/4's by using hand sanitizer when she picks them up from daycare or playdates, she also wipes down shopping carts and tables before using them with a wipe and hand sanitizer, basically after everytime they are exposed to germs outside of their own home.

TheRealMacGyver

Just wanted to update you on this. He hasn't vomited anymore, but last night he had a 101 fever. Took him to doctor today and they said he has an ear infection, wrote a Rx for Amoxocillin (SP?). Anyhow, just thought that was a little weird, have any of you seen an ear infection cause vomitting?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC