SIL doesn't strap in toddler in car seat

jackieeng

When my SIL picks up her 2 yr old from my mums house, she does not strap her in her car seat b/c 'they're just going around the corner'. They literally live 2 mins down the road. Anyway, when my mum discovered this, she started 'helping' my SIL out to the car with all their stuff, so that she can ensure she is strapped in. It infuriates all of us and my mum has told my brother that she NEEDS to be strapped in properly...

My SIL is of the sort who resents advise and suggestions, so my mum NEVER offers it unless she is asked...Most of us mums don't like to hear the opinions of others when it comes to parenting, however, there are exceptions...like strapping a baby into a car seat.
She may as well put the kid in the front seat, right?

They don't really understand what a child is capable of and NOT capable of. She fell from their kitchen counter the other day onto a hard, slate floor :eek:
Apparently if she's walking and talking, she's self reliant...
When she was 6 mos or so, she fell out of her bouncy chair on to the coffee table. She was not strapped in...WTF!!! and the bouncy seat was on the couch...WTF!!!

I realise we are not perfect and I've made plenty of mistakes, but common sense plays a role here somewhere. If you need to leave your child alone for just a few seconds, put the sharp knives away...;) It's really terrifying thinking about what's next. A drunk driver crashing into them on their way home 'around the corner'

Just a rant...thanks for listening...

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Some momma's just dont see the danger...and then once they do...its too late...atleast your mom cares and is pushing the issue...good for her:thumbsup:

broken4u05

I often times do not want to strap te kids in wen i am just going down the street but i know it is not safe so i always strap them in. What if something was to happen in the 2 mins we are in te car. Good job to your mom. And everyone needs to vent some

tjham

And there's also the issue of the child thinking "If I don't need to be buckled in THIS time, why do I need to be buckled in at all?" Kids need consistancy.

mominabigtruck

I've personally never understood people who get nice seats for their cars but then put their kids in substandard seats in other people's vehicles, like grandma. My last accident I was in was less then 2 miles from my house, in city limits and it cracked the base on my marathon. Can you imagine if the kid's hadn't been buckled in?

JaRylan

Good for your mom for doing what the mom won't. Isn't there a stat somewhere that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home???

jackieeng

Good for your mom for doing what the mom won't. Isn't there a stat somewhere that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home???
Yes, I think there is. I thought it was common knowledge...that's why it doesn't make sense to any of us...

I actually feel bad about my rant b/c I didn't intend to mention the 'other' incidences, but it just puts into perspective the logic or lack of it that's going around in some people's heads...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC