VIRGIN does not follow FAA regulations

jackieeng

After lugging my 22+lbs radian to the airport 2 weeks ago, I discovered that I was not permitted to bring it on board Virgin Atlantic. So, I had to check it :( I had the FAA regulations with me, ready for a fight, stating that a paying customer cannot be prohibited from bringing their own FAA approved car seat on board...
Well, Virgin follows CAA regs not FAA regs b/c they are British owned...

www.ntsb.gov

I would advise everyone to call their airline before booking/flying to double check their information regarding car seat policies...However, I have ZERO faith in the human beings that answer the phones at any airline (particularly Virgin Atlantic) b/c they do not understand/know their own policies...
I called on 3 seperate occasions and got different information: I cannot bring car seat; I CAN bring car seat; I cannot bring car seat. I even cited the FAA reg that states I CAN bring an approved car seat. But it did not occur to them to inform me that Virgin does not answer to the FAA...

DD (2.5yrs old) was provided a care chair. But on the flight home, I was told the care chairs are only for 6mos to 2 years, so she had to sit with just the lap belt, which she opened with ease!

Email the customer relations dept of your airline and tell them to send you their policies regarding car seats, age limits, etc...Ask all q's before you fly to save disappointment and arguments at check in...

I just thought you should all know this information.
Virgin will be hearing from me...

Be prepared

ADS

Dillipop

Where were you flying? Any flight that originates in the US follows FAA regulations no matter where the airline is run out of. So, if you fly to England from the US you can use a seat, but English regulations will determine if you can use a seat on the return trip, since it is originating in England.

Any flight within the US should follow FAA regulations.

jackieeng

That's what I thought too, but I think Virgin is some how exempt...We did fly to the UK and it was at Newark airport that they told me they follow CAA regs only...I wonder if they said that just so they didn't have to deal my car seat.
I'll have to contact Virgin again and also the FAA...
It's infuriating

wondering1

Their own web site says the infant care chair goes to 36 months.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/travellingwithchildren/index.jsp

TRAVELLING WITH INFANTS
We're happy to have infants fly with us and can provide:

Skycots for babies aged up to 12 months.
Infant Care Chair for infants aged between 6 and 36 months.
Please call our Contact Centre for availability and booking

Please note:

Passengers who require use of an Infant Care Chair will have to purchase a seat at the applicable child fare. Please note that Infant Care Chairs are currently unavailable in Upper Class.
Some of our toilets are fitted with changing facilities, and although we do carry limited spare baby items such as bottles, we would advise you to bring your own.
There are no skycot positions in the Upper Class cabin on 747-400 aircraft operating to/from Gatwick or Manchester, and in the Premium Economy cabin on 747-400 aircraft operating to/from Heathrow.

wondering1

Do you have a picture of the seat? I'm curious why it has an age limit rather than a height/weight limit?

Good luck with everything!

Just found this:

The CAA has specific requirements regarding young children travelling on UK registered aircraft. A child under 6 months of age must sit on the parent's lap and be secured using a supplementary loop attached to the parent's seat belt. Between the age of 6 months and 2 years the child must either sit as described above, or, in accordance with certain CAA criteria, the airline may allow the child to be fastened in a car safety seat secured in its own aircraft seat. You are advised to check with the airline before booking. Between 2 years and 3 years of age the child can either be fastened in a car seat as above or have their own seat. From the age of 3 years a child must sit in their own aircraft seat.

Here's more info at this link: http://www.otoh.org/opal/carseat.html

jackieeng

Do you have a picture of the seat? I'm curious why it has an age limit rather than a height/weight limit?

Good luck with everything!

Just found this:

Here's more info at this link: http://www.otoh.org/opal/carseat.html

www.ntsb.gov/Events/1999/meet_airchild/virginatl.ppt
I think the picture of the seat is on page 14...
It sounds like they're planning on some future improvements.
I think my daughter's head was above the top of the seat...I really wish I had taken a picture :(

wondering1

They make good points in the presentation. For those who do not have Microsoft Office and want to see the document, check this free viewer out: http://tonicsystems.com/products/viewer/

I have no faith in the "loop" attachment!!! They need at least two different seats for infants and children. One rear-facing like the Radian and one seat like the Regent.

shirada

I also had problems 5 years ago when I travelled to London. It was a British Airways flight. I lugged my 2 RA with me for my then 7 month old and 2.5 yr old and they were real bastards about me wanted one RF. I had to put them both FF. After all my research the air steward was an a*****e about it. I am English and I know what sticklers they are for their dumb rules over there. There was nothing I could say that would make them change their minds and I was alone with the babes which was tough in itself.

jackieeng

These airlines really need to make their guidelines clear and easily accessible. Although, they themselves don't know their own rules and everyone you talk to has a different answer.
We don't have a leg to stand on...

Jessie78

Wow that really bites! I had the same problems with Air New Zealand and Quantas airlines down here. They wanted me to check Xander's carseat each time, and baulked at me taking it on board for him. When I first came across this problem, he was 16 months and I 'won' the fight to have it RF on the plane. Then at 2 years I tried again, and settled for it FF after fighting to even have it on the plane. Other younger chn were bouncing around in their lapbelts around us. In their regs it even says chn under 2 MUST have their own carseat. Go figure.
Anyway, the ground staff didn't know their own policies and neither did the air crew. It was shocking.

mommycat

The presentation does make some good points and it sounds like they actually do care and think about this. Now if only they would improve on the design and then EDUCATE their staff and make all this information easy to find for customers.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We flew British Midlands when Piper was 15 months from London to Glasgow and they made us install her FFing. I asked to see it in the manual and they showed it to me. It was right there. So I installed her Advantage FFing. She wasn't yet 20 pounds.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC