Highest rear facing american seat excluding Radian..

Baylor

I really wanted one of these but now I am not sure. I just see not only the issues but they way they are being handled bothers me more.

So if that the only seat that goes to 45lbs rear facing?

ADS

Mae

Yep. The next highest ones are 40.

Here:

Radian XTSL and Radian 80SL, with a limit of 45lbs RFing.

Followed by 40lbs RFing limit seats:

Britax ADV70
Britax BLVD70
Britax MA70
Britax RA55
Cosco Scenera (Some 40lb, some 35lb-- most newer ones on shelves should be 40lbs) I've also been told that the 40lb RFing Sceneras are a Target exclusive.
Evenflo Momentum 65
Evenflo Triumph 65
Graco Myride 65
Safety 1st Complete Air
Safety 1st OnSide Air
SKJP Radian 65/80 (not SL versions) (DOM only after 9/08) - 40lbs
SKJP Radian 65SL - 40lbs
SKJP Radian XT - 40lbs

This list is also specific to the US.

Mae

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your son is still safe at 2.5 years of age, forward facing in a properly used, properly installed, and top tethered seat. :love:

Baylor

:( I really want to get one to put baby back rf. I just don't know how I feel about it now..

Thanks..
and thanks for the list. That will help me answer someone elses questions!

urchin_grey

Maybe just wait a month or two until we see how SKJP takes care of their issues and then see how you feel about it? :) That's really my best suggestion if you aren't comfortable with a RN at this point in time.

Baylor

Maybe just wait a month or two until we see how SKJP takes care of their issues and then see how you feel about it? :) That's really my best suggestion if you aren't comfortable with a RN at this point in time.

I called him the baby, and I want to make sure people know I am talking about a 41lbs 2.5 yr old. Not a Baby Baby.. He is just MY BABY...

Thanks for the advice. I really was ready to just buy it. I wish they were handling it better then I would buy it now and just hold onto it and see.. for me it is not the superlatch issue, it is the harness loosening issue.

I don't want to turn this into another thread about the problems so thanks for the advice and list! I will wait and see.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm grappling with similar feelings/issues, but with a different company.

You need to decide if you think the Radian is truly unsafe (presuming you check it before each use, which you should do anyway). You need to decide how much the company's actions reflect on the merits of its products. You need to decide how much you care about putting your child rear-facing again, and whether one aspect outweighs another.

My situation is a little different because I have many seats that would work, but the one I *think* I want most is made by a company I don't trust. I don't think the seat itself is unsafe, but I'm also not confident that issues with it would be publicized or fixed properly.

At the same time, I'm also confident that if there were a problem with the seats in general, I'd hear about it here, and I'm confident enough in my own abilities to be able to recognize/diagnose most problems in my own seat (presuming it's not something that only occurs in a crash).

Holly

Maybe you could buy a used one from a trusted member here?
I have 2 radians and they have never had any problems with the harness loosening, or with LATCH (but mine are older and don't have superlatch).
One is a Radian 65 from March 2007, the other is a Radian 80 from Sometime in the spring of 2009. My Radian 80 can rear face to 40 lbs (not 45 like the new ones) thats still really good. If you could find one new enough to have the higher RF weight limit but old enough that it doesn't have super latch, that might be a good option for you.

Baylor

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your son is still safe at 2.5 years of age, forward facing in a properly used, properly installed, and top tethered seat. :love:

I know that is true.. Still.....

I'm grappling with similar feelings/issues, but with a different company.

You need to decide if you think the Radian is truly unsafe (presuming you check it before each use, which you should do anyway). You need to decide how much the company's actions reflect on the merits of its products. You need to decide how much you care about putting your child rear-facing again, and whether one aspect outweighs another.

My situation is a little different because I have many seats that would work, but the one I *think* I want most is made by a company I don't trust. I don't think the seat itself is unsafe, but I'm also not confident that issues with it would be publicized or fixed properly.

At the same time, I'm also confident that if there were a problem with the seats in general, I'd hear about it here, and I'm confident enough in my own abilities to be able to recognize/diagnose most problems in my own seat (presuming it's not something that only occurs in a crash).

Thanks.. It is a lot to think about.

Maybe you could buy a used one from a trusted member here?
I have 2 radians and they have never had any problems with the harness loosening, or with LATCH (but mine are older and don't have superlatch).
One is a Radian 65 from March 2007, the other is a Radian 80 from Sometime in the spring of 2009. My Radian 80 can rear face to 40 lbs (not 45 like the new ones) thats still really good. If you could find one new enough to have the higher RF weight limit but old enough that it doesn't have super latch, that might be a good option for you.

I have thought about that.. I am looking on the swap from time to time..

Holly

Well, the 80SL and XTSL are the ones that RF to 45lbs. Her DS is 39.5lbs so SL is really her only choice.

Oh, I didn't see his weight. I was assuming a 40 lbs limit would still work.
At that age and weight, I probably would just keep him FFing.
Under 2, I would spend the money on a new seat to RF for another 5 lbs, but over 2, especially closer to 3, I probably wouldn't.

ETA, I see her siggy, the 39.5 is inches tall, he's 41 lbs. Yeah, I'd FF him.

Baylor

If they did not have the issues they are having currently I would get one in a second. It is certainly a seat he can grow into and then I could use my Nautilus as a spare for either of them.

I am watching the outcome closely.

urchin_grey

Oh, I didn't see his weight. I was assuming a 40 lbs limit would still work.
At that age and weight, I probably would just keep him FFing.
Under 2, I would spend the money on a new seat to RF for another 5 lbs, but over 2, especially closer to 3, I probably wouldn't.

ETA, I see her siggy, the 39.5 is inches tall, he's 41 lbs. Yeah, I'd FF him.

Oh durr, yeah, I read her siggy wrong. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC