Becoming Certified in Ontario

dingohate

Can anyone confirm whether SJA is the only way to get certified in Ontario?

I want to get certified so that I can volunteer but I was hoping to find something less expensive than 150.00 (I noticed US certification is only 75.00) I am getting certified to volunteer, so any savings would be great!

TIA

ADS

Lea_Ontario

You are out of my area.

Here, the training is mainly done through SJA, but there is one instructor who is SJA-certified, but works through the Health Department.

I would definitely contact SJA.

dingohate

You are out of my area.

Here, the training is mainly done through SJA, but there is one instructor who is SJA-certified, but works through the Health Department.

I would definitely contact SJA.

Thanks!

I was already on the website and it looks like the course is offered in February. I guess I'm just bummed that it's 1/2 the hours and double the price when compared to the www.safekids.org/certification

I suppose I don't have much of a choice then.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Safe Kids training program has a set certification fee, but individual instructors and regions often charge an additional fee in-class. So that base number on their website is somewhat misleading. The US curriculum is only a day longer than the Canadian one, not twice as long, as well.

If you want to trek to Mississauga, I believe they still offer the course for free if you're willing to volunteer with them? Kashi--was that the case for your course?

-Nicole.

hipmaman

I can't comment on the CPST certification program but perhaps Nicole can since she is certified both in CAnada and the US.

I assume though the program in Canada do not get subsidies or financial support from the gov't or industry, therefore what is offered is the minimum that we can 'afford' to do. Again, others from outside of Ontario might be able to give input on their cost but I think the $150 fee is quite reasonable compared to some places where instructors might have to rent the facility to hold the course and transfer the cost to techs/students or teach at a (financial) loss.

ETA: I see Nicole already posted at the same time...

If there are teams set up like the SJA Mississauga team, we waive the course fee if you volunteer with us for a minimum number of time and clinics/seats.

QuassEE

...I think the $150 fee is quite reasonable compared to some places where instructors might have to rent the facility to hold the course and transfer the cost to techs/students or teach at a (financial) loss.

Excellent point. And the $150 is relatively inexpensive, compared to some areas. For example--the other instructor in British Columbia charges $500. The advantage to her charging that amount is that she's able to offer the course more frequently. For me, however, it seems cost prohibitive for individuals who are taking the course out of personal interest and/or with the intent of volunteering their time and knowledge.

$150 isn't looking so bad. :)

-Nicole.

dingohate

Thanks for the clarification, I am not sure why I thought the safekids certification was over 30hrs... maybe I was looking at instructor vs. tech?!

I am sure 150.00 is a great value for what you learn but for people who have unemployed husbands (such as myself lol) I will have to find another way to volunteer this year and hopefully I can become certified next year! :D

sparkyd

If you feel like spending a weekend in Ottawa there is a course next weekend for $50. ;) Although I'm not sure if there is a clinic at the end of the course of if people will need to come to the regular clinic the following weekend.

I have to say that at $50 for the course here, nobody is making any money and that is kind of a problem. We keep it that low so money isn't a barrier to getting people to take it, but there is next to no compensation for the instructors and that causes its own set of problems. Instructors also tend to be heavy duty volunteers to begin with, so they are really putting in a lot of time overall.

If you can't afford the $150 price tag right now (which I totally get being in the same boat as you :cool:), you might still be able to volunteer in a non-tech capacity and learn a lot doing it. We can definitely keep non-techs busy at our clinics greeting people, keeping track of who is waiting, starting paper work etc. :thumbsup:

MarathonMama

I'm in the Barrie area too. I've been in contact with the SJA lady who coordinates the training in the area (Simcoe Muskoka SJA branch) and she mentioned that if I could coordinate a group of people that we could do our own course in the area vs travelling to Mississauga. There are 2 tech instructors in Barrie (thanks Trudy and Nicole for helping me find it!!!!)

I'm off to PM you ... maybe we can set up a course and get a few more people then we won't have to travel!

SynEpona

Burlington SJA does the course for no-charge if you volunteer at their clinics over the 12 mths following the course. Or you can opt out of the volunteering part way through & pay the balance of your fees (if say, 6mth later you have more money & less time available!). They hold your certificate until you finish the volunteer hours I believe. I was signed up to take the course, but we had to move the weekend of the course :( I think it's 10 times you have have to volunteer, but I'm not sure now, I sorted it all out about a year ago.

Edit:
I've emailed my local SJA again this morning, and rec'd a reply that there is a course planned in Welland for April :) (previous emails had not gotten any replies, but I thought I'd try one more time)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC